[Poll]Do you like Odysseus's shape?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Do you like Odysseus's shape?

Poll ended at Tue, 26. Dec 23, 01:56

Odysseus is ugly, like a hair dryer.
77%
Odysseus is beautiful.
23%

Total votes: 127

Karvat
x4

Re: [Poll]Do you like Odysseus's shape?

Post by Karvat » Fri, 16. Apr 21, 15:09

Just a reminder for the community here, never ask for a redesign of the Paranid Odysseus, if not in small details and adjustments.

Ask for a second Paranid L destroyer :wink: :wink:

Max Bain
x3ap

Post by Max Bain » Fri, 16. Apr 21, 15:51

Karvat wrote:
Fri, 16. Apr 21, 15:09
Just a reminder for the community here, never ask for a redesign of the Paranid Odysseus, if not in small details and adjustments.

Ask for a second Paranid L destroyer :wink: :wink:
No. To me, this thing is so ugly that I want it to be replaced, so that I don't need to see it in game anymore.
Nothing against a second destroyer for paranids, but a replacement is more important. For me at least :oops:
XR Ship Pack (adds several ships from XR) Link
Weapon Pack (adds several new weapons) Link
Economy Overhaul (expands the X4 economy with many new buildings) Link
X4 Editor (view stats of objects and make your own mod within a few clicks) Link

Prisoner849
x4

Post by Prisoner849 » Fri, 16. Apr 21, 16:59

It's beautiful! :gruebel:

Pares
x4

Post by Pares » Fri, 16. Apr 21, 18:49

Prisoner849 wrote:
Fri, 16. Apr 21, 16:59

IMO the X3 model was much more beautiful.

But then it was butchered and sacrificed on the altar of M docks and L turrets. Compared to its brothers, the Zeus and the Atlas, it is a complete design failure IMHO. The huge rectangular cutouts disturbing the sleek oval shapes, the huge L turrets sticking out of the hull, the halved width and the huge M dock box making it twice the height, mistake upon mistake. :(

duncan idaho
x4

Post by duncan idaho » Fri, 16. Apr 21, 19:23

Such a great ship to use as a personal mobile base due to its M docking port but damn is she ugly.

Max Bain
x3ap

Post by Max Bain » Fri, 16. Apr 21, 19:47

Prisoner849 wrote:

If you come straight from the year 1999 and if you compare the Ody with graphics from Unreal Tournament, then yes, it is beautyful.
But if you havent missed what is possible in our time, then nope, its not beautyful.

I would use the word beautyful for most of the ships from this site:
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pled ... rer_id[]=1
but no L or XL Paranid ship would get it from me :P.

The ship model was taken from X3 (so a good couple of years old) and then it was artificially made ugglier by making it fat to put the M dock and L turrets on it. Even without these adjustements it would barely match todyas graphics standards.
XR Ship Pack (adds several ships from XR) Link
Weapon Pack (adds several new weapons) Link
Economy Overhaul (expands the X4 economy with many new buildings) Link
X4 Editor (view stats of objects and make your own mod within a few clicks) Link

Baddieus
x4

Post by Baddieus » Fri, 16. Apr 21, 19:51

They need more windows ...

Endealon

Post by Endealon » Fri, 16. Apr 21, 19:59

[Poll]Do you like Odysseus's shape?

NO.

Karvat
x4

Post by Karvat » Fri, 16. Apr 21, 20:38

Pares wrote:
Fri, 16. Apr 21, 18:49
Prisoner849 wrote:

But then it was butchered and sacrificed on the altar of M docks and L turrets. Compared to its brothers, the Zeus and the Atlas, it is a complete design failure IMHO. The huge rectangular cutouts disturbing the sleek oval shapes, the huge L turrets sticking out of the hull, the halved width and the huge M dock box making it twice the height, mistake upon mistake. :(
Yeah, absolutely, totally on a different scale, i was about to say please egosoft bring back the x3 model... but... At this point i would say it's better to just adjust the one we have and hope for a second one.

Prisoner849
x4

Post by Prisoner849 » Fri, 16. Apr 21, 21:20

Well...X3 have better models of every ship :)

Jeraal
x4

Post by Jeraal » Fri, 16. Apr 21, 22:06

Prisoner849 wrote:
Fri, 16. Apr 21, 21:20
*Insert thank you gif from The Office here.*

I have to say, apart from a few, the ships in X4 are rather 'meh' compared to X3. Do not like the Paranid ships above M class. Not sold on the mushrooms. The asymmetry of some Terran ships just bothers me. Some of the Terran S ships are just...no.
Brute force and ignorance solves all problems, just not very efficiently.

If brute force isn't working, then you aren't using enough.

Pares
x4

Post by Pares » Fri, 16. Apr 21, 22:57

Prisoner849 wrote:
Fri, 16. Apr 21, 21:20
I have to disagree. I absolutely prefer the X4 Argon fighters to the X3 fighters that looked like spaceships out of a fantasy. I also like the X4 Teladi mushrooms much more than the X3 junks they had. There's really only a few ships I dislike in X4, one of them is the Odysseus. The others are the flying S docks with engines and weapons strapped on that are called frigates, and the few fighters that have moving engines/flaps, because they seem to move too erratically and irrealistically to me.

I always liked the Split and especially the Terran ships the most, that hasn't changed in X4. Their capitals look absolutely awesome IMO. And nothing comapares to the beauty of the Syn.

zergline117s
x4

Post by zergline117s » Sat, 17. Apr 21, 03:10

Pares wrote:
Fri, 16. Apr 21, 18:49
Prisoner849 wrote:

Why do I remember this ship already had that handle in X3?

Prisoner849
x4

Post by Prisoner849 » Sat, 17. Apr 21, 07:54

It was Zeus i think .. M1

Wraith_Magus
x3tc

Post by Wraith_Magus » Sat, 17. Apr 21, 08:01

zergline117s wrote:
Sat, 17. Apr 21, 03:10
The Zeus was the Odysseus, but with an even bigger, uglier handle in X3.

I'm not so hard on the handle in X4, though, although I don't love it. At least putting turrets on it that have great coverage actually gives it some function, and in terms of function, the Oddy beats the other base game destroyers. (The Rattlesnake and Syn, much less Asgard mop the floor with it, though.)

naisha
x4

Post by naisha » Sat, 17. Apr 21, 08:48

Prisoner849 wrote:

wow that thing is ugly

Idk why, maybe its the angle but this ship is even uglier than i remember.

The proportions are just wrong ...

Pares
x4

Post by Pares » Sat, 17. Apr 21, 11:07

Wraith_Magus wrote:
Sat, 17. Apr 21, 08:01
zergline117s wrote:
Sat, 17. Apr 21, 03:10
The Zeus was the Odysseus, but with an even bigger, uglier handle in X3.
I'm not sure what you mean by that, the X4 Zeus and the X3 Zeus is - except for a few modifications like the launch bays on the side and docks on its back - mostly the same model. Fortunately it didn't have to suffer the same fate as its little brother.

Wraith_Magus
x3tc

Post by Wraith_Magus » Sat, 17. Apr 21, 11:37

Pares wrote:
Sat, 17. Apr 21, 11:07
I'm not sure what you mean by that, the X4 Zeus and the X3 Zeus is - except for a few modifications like the launch bays on the side and docks on its back - mostly the same model. Fortunately it didn't have to suffer the same fate as its little brother.
Maybe because the X3 Zeus was a leaner ship compared to now, the handle was much more prominent to me. The base of the handle also wasn't flat and it was much larger (yet thinner) and curved downwards.

Yeah, they are mostly the same model, much more than most ships that at least nominally transitioned to X4 (why even use the same names when X has previously retired ships to introduce new ones?), but the proportions give it a different feeling, and the chunkiness of the new model I feel kind of help the Zeus in that the chunky parts make it feel like some of those parts have a purpose now, being flat turret sections or docking sections, while they were just stupidly concave strips of metal for no reason before. (I have a dislike of some of the stupidly wasteful designs like the Bolo's V-shape on a miner/freighter compared to, say, the Teladi Manoria that properly looks like it was designed around a cargo bay first, an engine second, and maybe some lasers and a crew compartment a distant third, like a proper freighter should. I loved the "basically a cargo container with an engine and a cab" design of the old TMs. They looked practical and like a sensible space ship, compared to all the stupid V-wings that make no sense for space craft. I liked the old Teladi designs, and am not a fan of the metal space shrooms.)

mehmeteking
x4

Post by mehmeteking » Sat, 17. Apr 21, 15:24

Max Bain wrote:
Fri, 16. Apr 21, 19:47
I would use the word beautyful for most of the ships from this site:
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pled ... rer_id[]=1
but no L or XL Paranid ship would get it from me :P.
I think Aurora and Constellation are both ugly, and most ships from that manufacturer will be of these classes (in some wild hypothetical scenario where SC does not fail.)
Max Bain wrote:
Fri, 16. Apr 21, 19:47
The ship model was taken from X3 (so a good couple of years old) and then it was artificially made ugglier by making it fat to put the M dock and L turrets on it. Even without these adjustements it would barely match todyas graphics standards.
True. It seems they did not have the budget to produce new designs for the Paranid, and tried to fit old ships into some new size constraints which demonstrably failed. And then they went on with the failure anyway in true Egosoft style :)

Return to “X4: Foundations”