[Poll]Do you like Odysseus's shape?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Do you like Odysseus's shape?

Poll ended at Tue, 26. Dec 23, 01:56

Odysseus is ugly, like a hair dryer.
77%
Odysseus is beautiful.
23%

Total votes: 127

naisha
x4

Re: [Poll]Do you like Odysseus's shape?

Post by naisha » Sat, 17. Apr 21, 08:48

Prisoner849 wrote:
Fri, 16. Apr 21, 16:59
It's beautiful! :gruebel:

wow that thing is ugly

Idk why, maybe its the angle but this ship is even uglier than i remember.

The proportions are just wrong ...
Known as "Test90" on discord

Pares
x4

Post by Pares » Sat, 17. Apr 21, 11:07

Wraith_Magus wrote:
Sat, 17. Apr 21, 08:01
zergline117s wrote:
Sat, 17. Apr 21, 03:10
Why do I remember this ship already had that handle in X3?
The Zeus was the Odysseus, but with an even bigger, uglier handle in X3.
I'm not sure what you mean by that, the X4 Zeus and the X3 Zeus is - except for a few modifications like the launch bays on the side and docks on its back - mostly the same model. Fortunately it didn't have to suffer the same fate as its little brother.

Wraith_Magus
x3tc

Post by Wraith_Magus » Sat, 17. Apr 21, 11:37

Pares wrote:
Sat, 17. Apr 21, 11:07
I'm not sure what you mean by that, the X4 Zeus and the X3 Zeus is - except for a few modifications like the launch bays on the side and docks on its back - mostly the same model. Fortunately it didn't have to suffer the same fate as its little brother.
Maybe because the X3 Zeus was a leaner ship compared to now, the handle was much more prominent to me. The base of the handle also wasn't flat and it was much larger (yet thinner) and curved downwards.

Yeah, they are mostly the same model, much more than most ships that at least nominally transitioned to X4 (why even use the same names when X has previously retired ships to introduce new ones?), but the proportions give it a different feeling, and the chunkiness of the new model I feel kind of help the Zeus in that the chunky parts make it feel like some of those parts have a purpose now, being flat turret sections or docking sections, while they were just stupidly concave strips of metal for no reason before. (I have a dislike of some of the stupidly wasteful designs like the Bolo's V-shape on a miner/freighter compared to, say, the Teladi Manoria that properly looks like it was designed around a cargo bay first, an engine second, and maybe some lasers and a crew compartment a distant third, like a proper freighter should. I loved the "basically a cargo container with an engine and a cab" design of the old TMs. They looked practical and like a sensible space ship, compared to all the stupid V-wings that make no sense for space craft. I liked the old Teladi designs, and am not a fan of the metal space shrooms.)

mehmeteking
x4

Post by mehmeteking » Sat, 17. Apr 21, 15:24

Max Bain wrote:
Fri, 16. Apr 21, 19:47
I would use the word beautyful for most of the ships from this site:
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pled ... rer_id[]=1
but no L or XL Paranid ship would get it from me :P.
I think Aurora and Constellation are both ugly, and most ships from that manufacturer will be of these classes (in some wild hypothetical scenario where SC does not fail.)
Max Bain wrote:
Fri, 16. Apr 21, 19:47
The ship model was taken from X3 (so a good couple of years old) and then it was artificially made ugglier by making it fat to put the M dock and L turrets on it. Even without these adjustements it would barely match todyas graphics standards.
True. It seems they did not have the budget to produce new designs for the Paranid, and tried to fit old ships into some new size constraints which demonstrably failed. And then they went on with the failure anyway in true Egosoft style :)

Return to “X4: Foundations”