[Suggestion] Eliminate Loot Box Collection - Eliminate upgrade crafting tables.

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Maebius

Re: [Suggestion] Eliminate Loot Box Collection - Eliminate upgrade crafting tables.

Post by Maebius » Wed, 14. Apr 21, 14:11

Gigaflux wrote:
Wed, 14. Apr 21, 13:54
My suggestion: With enough experience (AKA: used a specific mod several times (e.g. 3x, perhaps depending on the mod level)) it could be possible to adjust the blueprints of hulls, shield, weapons ..... in order to make those modifications your new standard - no need for further modifications for your newly build ships (caveat: game has to prevent modified ship from being modified again (at least in the same 'area')) . It should be expensive of course and this process could also be placed within the research lab as well (needs time to adapt the old blueprints and maybe some more material).
That's exactly what I was thinking.
Maybe after you've built an upgrade X times, it becomes available as a generic blueprint and then you need resources (maybe even a lot) to build them OR still be able to do it by collecting loot.

I also detest being forced to walk around the generic stations and that's only after 3weeks half-playing. Can't imagine how some of you with a thousand hours in feel about "send ship to dock to warf/shipyard, teleport over and walk to the crafting table" :evil:

dtpsprt
x4

Re: [Suggestion] Eliminate Loot Box Collection - Eliminate upgrade crafting tables.

Post by dtpsprt » Wed, 14. Apr 21, 14:16

My ten cents on the subject:

5c: The lockboxes, while they might be fun at the beginning (of playing the game for the first time) they become repetitive and boring (too fast IMHO) not less because they always appear in the same place!!! I'd remove the (actual) need of them, like giving SETA to the player to buy on a trader (it can be one or two traders per race, one on each faction of a race, so there will be quite a bit of exploring for those who want it) and removing the "stupid" 9 sedatives from the Paranid plot. After (or during) battle looting should be left as it is.

+

5c: The crafting tables are needed... it's a good thing (IMHO) to have to research modifications and apply them whenever and wherever needed, but the RNG nature of them implies that in the 30th century (or thereabout) mechanics are at the same level as Earth in the mid 1970's!!! It does not "hold" to any way of thinking, except maybe for the ones that were targeting the outskirts of Serajebo with their missile and it ended in the outskirts of Sofia some 1000 Km further afield!!! Or, at least, make the RNG a bit more "unified", as you mod to the same level the 3 engines of a ship you should be able to mod to the same level the 2 or 4 guns of it, or else gun modification is more or less useless or problematic.

Pares
x4

Post by Pares » Wed, 14. Apr 21, 16:20

dtpsprt wrote:
Wed, 14. Apr 21, 14:16
but the RNG nature of them implies that in the 30th century (or thereabout) mechanics are at the same level as Earth in the mid 1970's!!!
Not exactly, it has nothing to do with "mechanics" of the 30th or 20th century, the situation is much, much worse. The current implementation of the RNG would imply that mass production is not possible, because every time you put the exact same two parts together, you get wildly different results. Which not only goes against what is in the game already (you can construct the exact same ships from the exact same parts using a blueprint, and get the exact same result every time), but is as far from the concept of engineering or tinkering or even physics as it can be.

MHDriver
x4

Post by MHDriver » Wed, 14. Apr 21, 16:38

In order to receive your "Game Developer Certification Card" you must first attest in writing that you will continue the long honored tradition of injecting "grind" and "loot boxes" into all current and future game developments. Only then can you become a full member...

dtpsprt
x4

Post by dtpsprt » Wed, 14. Apr 21, 21:26

MHDriver wrote:
Wed, 14. Apr 21, 16:38
In order to receive your "Game Developer Certification Card" you must first attest in writing that you will continue the long honored tradition of injecting "grind" and "loot boxes" into all current and future game developments. Only then can you become a full member...
Reminds me why I would not employ programmers with Microsoft Certification in my software house...

Endealon

Post by Endealon » Wed, 14. Apr 21, 21:58

Maybe I didn't express myself well in the thread. To clarify:

1. The ability to modify weapons and ships IS MAINTAINED.
2. I only propose to eliminate the unnecessary and tedious grind associated with searching for boxes.
3. Want a mod that increases the strength of your shields?

Access the upgrade panel in your Headquarters:

a) MK I Shield strength: Increases shield strength by 15% over the total: Cost: 1kk Cr
b) MK II shield strength: Increases shield strength by 25% over the total: Cost: 2kk Cr
c) MK III shield strength: Increases shield strength by 40% over the total: Cost: 4kk Cr

d) MK I shield recharge rate: Increases the recharge rate by 15% compared to the total. Cost 500,000Cr.
e) MK II shield recharge rate: Increases the recharge rate by 25% compared to the total. Cost 1500000Cr.
f) MK III shield recharge rate: Increase the recharge rate by 50% compared to the total. Cost 3500000Cr.

As you can see I am not suggesting to remove anything, but to change the way things are achieved now. Less grind, less tedium, and fewer clicks. What this game needs (and what the developers need to accept at once) is that this game needs fewer clicks.

grapedog
x4

Post by grapedog » Thu, 15. Apr 21, 06:50

Endealon wrote:
Wed, 14. Apr 21, 21:58

2. I only propose to eliminate the unnecessary and tedious grind associated with searching for boxes.

a) MK I Shield strength: Increases shield strength by 15% over the total: Cost: 1kk Cr
b) MK II shield strength: Increases shield strength by 25% over the total: Cost: 2kk Cr
c) MK III shield strength: Increases shield strength by 40% over the total: Cost: 4kk Cr

d) MK I shield recharge rate: Increases the recharge rate by 15% compared to the total. Cost 500,000Cr.
e) MK II shield recharge rate: Increases the recharge rate by 25% compared to the total. Cost 1500000Cr.
f) MK III shield recharge rate: Increase the recharge rate by 50% compared to the total. Cost 3500000Cr.

As you can see I am not suggesting to remove anything, but to change the way things are achieved now. Less grind, less tedium, and fewer clicks. What this game needs (and what the developers need to accept at once) is that this game needs fewer clicks.
If this were the way it worked, i would hope it applied somewhat randonly to npc ships too.

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Thu, 15. Apr 21, 08:45

Endealon wrote:
Wed, 14. Apr 21, 21:58

If you just want completely standardised stuff like that wouldn't it be better to do it by adding mk4, mk5, mk6, etc shields to wharves & shipyards, so they can be installed at the same time the ship's being built? Surely that's even less 'grind, tedium & clicks'.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Thu, 15. Apr 21, 08:52

While I understand and share OP frustration, I don't think custom modifications should be treated as something widespread - this is more like experimental garage modification with wide margin on end result, unlike factory setting that must meet certain standard.

I don't bother with mods beyond personal ship, so this eliminate the micromanagement issue for me.
As for loot boxes collection, after 4.0 I was irritated by the sheer amount of boxes laying everywhere so I had to switch off automatic collection for my ships, because they were always distracted by the lock boxes :(.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Thu, 15. Apr 21, 09:32

GCU Grey Area wrote:
Thu, 15. Apr 21, 08:45
If you just want completely standardised stuff like that wouldn't it be better to do it by adding mk4, mk5, mk6, etc shields to wharves & shipyards, so they can be installed at the same time the ship's being built? Surely that's even less 'grind, tedium & clicks'.
That is what I implied in my first comment. There are already mk1 and mk2 guns, mk1-4 engines, etc. Standard options. You can disagree about the benefit of Mk3 XL thrusters/price, but the option is already in the game.
grapedog wrote:
Thu, 15. Apr 21, 06:50
If this were the way it worked, i would hope it applied somewhat randonly to npc ships too.
That is a very important point. Should player and player alone have better grease monkey than anyone else?
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Thu, 15. Apr 21, 10:15

jlehtone wrote:
Thu, 15. Apr 21, 09:32
That is what I implied in my first comment. There are already mk1 and mk2 guns, mk1-4 engines, etc. Standard options. You can disagree about the benefit of Mk3 XL thrusters/price, but the option is already in the game.
I was thinking more about additional mk's of equipment being added alongside the existing modification system (rather than removal of ship mods), so players who don't like the mod system have an alternative, completely standardised, upgrade path for their ships. Perhaps to maintain balance with respect to mods the mk number of equipment could act as a multiplier for modding costs (both in terms of monetary cost & resources used).

dtpsprt
x4

Post by dtpsprt » Thu, 15. Apr 21, 11:14

jlehtone wrote:
grapedog wrote:
Thu, 15. Apr 21, 06:50
That is a very important point. Should player and player alone have better grease monkey than anyone else?
Actually I have caped ships (Minotaurs and Behemoths, not Phoenixes) that had modifications in their engines... Since I usually use them for my fleet instead of just selling them off for money I have noticed it in more than one occasion.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Thu, 15. Apr 21, 14:00

GCU Grey Area wrote:
Thu, 15. Apr 21, 10:15
jlehtone wrote:
I was thinking more about additional mk's of equipment being added alongside the existing modification system (rather than removal of ship mods), so players who don't like the mod system have an alternative, completely standardised, upgrade path for their ships. Perhaps to maintain balance with respect to mods the mk number of equipment could act as a multiplier for modding costs (both in terms of monetary cost & resources used).
Interesting ideas.

Overall, it makes little difference how many standard models (of e.g. engines) there are. One or ten; you most likely use only one model (per purpose). Usually "the best". Whether they are one or separate: Engine Mk1 & Engine Mk2 or Engine Mk1 and Turbo (where Mk1+Turbo == Mk2), buying/building "my standard loadout" is no different. Yes, there is no micro-management (after you have decided what is your standard layout), because there is nothing to do.

Manually crafted modification is something different. If you can set "the correct ignition timing on a 1955 Bel Air Chevrolet, with a 327 cubic-inch engine and a four-barrel carburetor", then you are special. That is a special achievement.

Standardization is nice. It involves "research". When you come up with the right hue of red stripes on the ship, you should be able to write that recipe, blueprint, down so you can do it again. Perhaps even license (aka "sell") the new blueprint to your favorite factions. That way they can start to build those faster ships themselves. The NPC do not limit themselves to the "best loadout", so your action would just add variety.

In other words, replacing current mods with "standard parts" is IMHO no different from simply removing the mods; there are still some "standard parts" to choose from.

On the other hand, adding a "in-game research method" to create custom blueprints for new standard parts from particularly successful mod would add something to the game.
(There would probably be some technical "fun" with ventures et. al., not to mention that one should not be able to mod a custom blueprint further.)
dtpsprt wrote:
Thu, 15. Apr 21, 11:14
Actually I have caped ships (Minotaurs and Behemoths, not Phoenixes) that had modifications in their engines... Since I usually use them for my fleet instead of just selling them off for money I have noticed it in more than one occasion.
Haven't noticed those ingame, but haven't looked for them either. Mission reward ships can have mods too. They are the only modded ships that I have.
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

spankahontis
x4

Post by spankahontis » Thu, 15. Apr 21, 16:27

I always found it weird how you the average Pilot, fresh from flight school can suddenly build all these complicated things on a craft bench.
First off, you shouldn't be that masterful to be able to gerry-rig a SETA out of random spare parts you found in space.
Instead you should learn to do these things over time.

Why would Shops and Bars have crafting benches?
When was the last time you went to your local pub and there you see a man with a soldering Iron just sparking away at some tech he was building while people around him drink?
Or you're doing your grocery shopping and the same guy is building something out of metal parts while you checking whether the Avacados you just bought are fresh?
In the words of Johnny Cochran.. "IT... DOES.. NOT.. MAKE... SENSE!!"

There needs to be a Workshop department on stations with these crafting tables available, a place where NPCs go to fix things, put things together on the Station as such a place like this would be important for engineers on the Station to maintain a properly functioning Station.

Why not make Crafting a Research Category?

You can only craft basic things to start with in your game like Fine Meals?
But with some resources, side missions, Bosa Ta teaches you how to Craft more complex things.

Illegal Wares Crafting - Unlocks Spacefly Caviar, Delerium, EMP/Standard Bombs etc.
Experimental High-Tech Crafting - Unlocks SETA, Electronics, First Aid Kit .
Mod Crafting - Unlocks Advanced, Exceptional Ship Mods.
Hacking Crafting - Unlocks Module Decryption, Security Splicer etc.
Ragna-Tech.. Forging a Better Tomorrow!

My most annoying Bugs list 6.0 Beta 4 + [All DLC]
--------------------------------
Nvidium Worshop Animation Enlarge Broken :(
Building Modules causes low frame rate :o
Massive Framerate drops freezing game! :doh:
Save Corrupted Fixed the Crash! :-D

taztaz502
x4

Post by taztaz502 » Thu, 15. Apr 21, 16:35

Clownmug wrote:
Tue, 13. Apr 21, 21:23
Nah, please leave the regressive minimalist gameplay to X3. I don't want stuff removed to the point of being a floating camera playing with excel spreadsheets again.
Rather be a map screen? x3 is a damn masterpiece. :lol:

taztaz502
x4

Post by taztaz502 » Thu, 15. Apr 21, 16:36

Also what they need to do is stop "Rerolls" costing upgrade components, like shields. you can reroll a shield as many times as you like and just pay the money. This should be the same for everything.

Or.... make shields like everything else and let us buy basic upgrade components (The consumable ones like high catalyst etc). could be a decent credit sink maybe add more wares to blackmarketeers.

zergline117s
x4

Post by zergline117s » Thu, 15. Apr 21, 17:08

I do not have any opinion about upgrade crafting, I do not like it, and I do not have a better idea.

About the loot box, I support eliminating this mechanism. I have to slow down or even stop the ship to collect these loot boxes. It reduces the battle's exciting feeling. Imagining in God of War, you have to run around to collect scattered red souls after every battle.

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Thu, 15. Apr 21, 17:24

zergline117s wrote:
Thu, 15. Apr 21, 17:08
I have to slow down or even stop the ship to collect these loot boxes. It reduces the battle's exciting feeling. Imagining in God of War, you have to run around to collect scattered red souls after every battle.
Collection can be completely automated using Repeat Orders, just have to periodically remember to visit the ship to grab stuff that's been collected, or order the ship to drop it off at HQ. Often have ships working alongside my gate defence fleets specifically to collect the stuff I need for ship modding.

Midnitewolf

Post by Midnitewolf » Thu, 15. Apr 21, 18:20

To be honest, I haven't even looked into using mods. Honestly it feels kind of like cheating to me because the NPC factions ships aren't using the same modded ships and I already feel a bit OP because of the ability to micro my ships and/or gather overwhelming numbers. I mean I don't think I have ever seen a NPC fleet with more than 3-4 destroyers in it while I tend to stack my fleets with a dozen or more.

Ezarkal
x4

Post by Ezarkal » Thu, 15. Apr 21, 21:33

Midnitewolf wrote:
Thu, 15. Apr 21, 18:20
To be honest, I haven't even looked into using mods. Honestly it feels kind of like cheating to me because the NPC factions ships aren't using the same modded ships and I already feel a bit OP because of the ability to micro my ships and/or gather overwhelming numbers. I mean I don't think I have ever seen a NPC fleet with more than 3-4 destroyers in it while I tend to stack my fleets with a dozen or more.
I think they do.

At the very least, they often ask you for modded ship in the "ship delivery" type of mission, and they will also offer modded ships as rewards for other missions.
Humans are deuterostomes, which means that when they develop in the womb the first opening they develop is the anus.
This means that at one point you were nothing but an asshole.

Some people never develop beyond this stage.

Return to “X4: Foundations”