Quality of life improvements (suggestions)

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Tarsis
x4

Quality of life improvements (suggestions)

Post by Tarsis » Sat, 17. Apr 21, 19:03

Forgive me if anything mentioned bellow is already in the game and I simply don't know. The options and settings are vast.

1-Would it be possible for the game to remember map zoom level and, most importantly, location whilst the map is open?
It's very annoying when you are all the way on one side of the galaxy and you move the map all the way to the other side to buy a ship or check options and you find yourself back zoomed to your ship when you exit a screen but you wanted the map to stay local. I believe most people just hit "esc" to get out of screens and the map act in a non-intuitive way (sometimes it stays where you are and sometimes moves back to your ship). I've found no explanation nor tooltip to help with map features.

The zoom level is another thing I wish it remembered the setting. Most of the time I want to see a bigger area of the sector I'm in, however the map always open zoomed to your ship.

2-Would it be possible for the game to remember your flight preference?
If you play for several hours, your finger can actually start to hurt if you have to keep holding the mouse button constantly. So, I prefer to use mouse steering. The problem is that not only there is always a very obtrusive line on you HUD telling you how to deactivate steering mode, but the game doesn't remember you turned it on. So, you have to keep turning it on every time you load, use your space suit, etc.

Wouldn't it be better to have a non obtrusive indicator or icon on the HUD to show you're using mouse steering and remember the preference?

3-Please give us a toggle run option for when on platforms
Nowadays, most games I know have a toggle run option (unless perhaps there is a reason not to due to balancing issues). Having to double tap "W" every single time you want to move forward on a station is not very intuitive and unnecessary in my view, and I find walking too slow most of the time.

Edit: I know I can key bind "W" to run, but that's not the same as having a toggle. There are areas where the game doesn't handle the speed well (i.e. moving through doors and the lift). It would be nice to have the option to turn it ON and OFF on the go.

4-The trade rules make no sense. Please give us separate controls between station's buy and sell. We need a global control for individual stations buy and sell instead of having to individually change every single ware a station produces. That can be daunting if you have a complex station.

Also, "Station Supply" is a term that most people misunderstands. Please add tooltip explanations or perhaps change the name to "Station Consumables"?

5-Personnel management list: Why only grey out and not hide the ones you don't want to see after we select the role. The list management is extremely limited, One would expect it to work like any database list. i.e. there is no option for us to look for the best pilot within the service crew of a particular ship (or all ships). We have to expand the skill list for each individual personnel.
Last edited by Tarsis on Sat, 17. Apr 21, 22:32, edited 2 times in total.

Baddieus
x4

Re: Quality of life improvements (suggestions)

Post by Baddieus » Sat, 17. Apr 21, 21:13

The map opens zoomed on your target or your ship if no target. (I too would like to have an option to always open to the full sector I'm in, then I'll chose when to zoom in on stuff.)
If you were in your station/fleet management menu and highlighted one of your stations, then closed/open the map it can re-open at that last item selected, just press R to get to you.

On the flight preferences, I change the control scheme to use the space bar to switch between flight modes and use the middle mouse button to fire primary weapons, it works well for me.
However I can agree with a simple indicator on the HUD that signifies which mode you are in as opposed to seeing the words telling me which I'm using at the moment.

Alkeena
x4

Post by Alkeena » Sat, 17. Apr 21, 21:31

Tarsis wrote:
Sat, 17. Apr 21, 19:03

2-Would it be possible for the game to remember your flight preference?
If you play for several hours, your finger can actually start to hurt if you have to keep holding the mouse button constantly. So, I prefer to use mouse steering. The problem is that not only there is always a very obtrusive line on you HUD telling you how to deactivate steering mode, but the game doesn't remember you turned it on. So, you have to keep turning it on every time you load, use your space suit, etc.

Wouldn't it be better to have a non obtrusive indicator or icon on the HUD to show you're using mouse steering and remember the preference?
While not responsive to the entirety of your concerns there is an option to turn off the indicator text completely. It's something like "Show flight mode" in the options menu. Turn that off and you won't have the text appear.

plynak
x3tc

Post by plynak » Sat, 17. Apr 21, 21:33

You can remove the text telling you to press spacebar in the options. Also run can be set up as a toggle in the options.
Intel Core i5 4590, 2 x 8GB DDR3 1600, MSI GTX 1060 Armor, Asus H97 Pro, Asus Xonar DG, Crucial MX100 128GB SSD + 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Seasonic S12G 550W, Corsair 550D, 22'' LG

jakotheshadows
x4

Post by jakotheshadows » Sat, 17. Apr 21, 21:42

I would like to see the "deposit inventory" command not drop off of a repeat orders queue just because the pilot has no inventory when they attempt to perform the action. It doesn't do this for trades just because the target station can't fulfill the maximum order, why should it do this for inventory?

ADMNtek
x4

Post by ADMNtek » Sat, 17. Apr 21, 22:22

you can enable always run by rebinding W to run forward.

Tarsis
x4

Post by Tarsis » Sat, 17. Apr 21, 22:28

plynak wrote:
Sat, 17. Apr 21, 21:33
You can remove the text telling you to press spacebar in the options. Also run can be set up as a toggle in the options.
It would be helpful if you say where within the options. I have not been able to locate the section to remove the text. However, we need to see what flight mode we're currently using. Removing the text is a work around, that's why I mentioned the icon indicator.

I was also not able to locate a toggle for run. I can change the key bind for run, but that's not the same.

ADMNtek
x4

Post by ADMNtek » Sat, 17. Apr 21, 23:58

Tarsis wrote:
Sat, 17. Apr 21, 22:28
plynak wrote:
Sat, 17. Apr 21, 21:33
It would be helpful if you say where within the options. I have not been able to locate the section to remove the text. However, we need to see what flight mode we're currently using. Removing the text is a work around, that's why I mentioned the icon indicator.

I was also not able to locate a toggle for run. I can change the key bind for run, but that's not the same.
to disable the message go into game setting and turn off "show control mode message"
to enable always run go into controls platform movement under first person digital the 5th option is run forward bind that to W and you will always run no toggle required.

plynak
x3tc

Post by plynak » Sun, 18. Apr 21, 11:28

The mode can be found by the cursor. One is arrow one is circle. Or just move a mous a bit to find out.
Intel Core i5 4590, 2 x 8GB DDR3 1600, MSI GTX 1060 Armor, Asus H97 Pro, Asus Xonar DG, Crucial MX100 128GB SSD + 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Seasonic S12G 550W, Corsair 550D, 22'' LG

Tarsis
x4

Post by Tarsis » Sun, 18. Apr 21, 11:52

ADMNtek wrote:
Sat, 17. Apr 21, 23:58
to disable the message go into game setting and turn off "show control mode message"
Thanks for that.
Another case where tooltips would have been helpful; or a more intuitive label like "Show flight steering mode message". Because it said "control" and "(Experts)", I would have never associated it with the flight mode text.

Return to “X4: Foundations”