Map Coordinates

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

myerlon
x4

Map Coordinates

Post by myerlon » Mon, 19. Apr 21, 00:46

After 1100+ hours I have returned to X4 for CoH. It took a while to get back into the game. remembering (finding) all the shortcuts and re-familiarizing myself with the controls, ships, economy etc. But after another 50 hours getting back into the game I realized something.

While long-range scanning the empty corners of a hex and getting x-y-z coordinates back on unknown objects, THERE ARE NO X-Y-Z COORDINATES DISPLAYED! ANYWHERE!!!!

If I have overlooked this somehow please tell me where I can find the coordinates. My sanity nneds to know. I've seen others says it's been removed from X4. Why? And why do long-range scans tell you an unknown object is at x1111, y2222, z3333 if you can't locate those coordinates?

myerlon

Wraith_Magus
x3tc

Re: Map Coordinates

Post by Wraith_Magus » Mon, 19. Apr 21, 03:03

To add to it, the "center" of the map (0, 0, 0 in coordinates, that is) can move as you expand the map, and there's no constant sense of scale, making coordinates extremely difficult to eyeball. X3 had sectors of a set size between jump gates, so you wouldn't need coordinates, you could just see which numbers were positive and whether it was triple-digit or not.

myerlon
x4

Post by myerlon » Mon, 19. Apr 21, 06:43

Would a Dev please explain the reasoning behind removing the coordinates from X4? Is it because the Hexes aren't consistent in size in X4? Is there some software issue with mapping each hex differently? Why? Why was this removed? Do we have to depend on a modder being fed up with no coordinates to make a mod to bring them back? This is really blowing the lid off my brain. Haven't ALL the other X games had xyz coords? Am I mistaken on this since It's only been over 20 years I've been playing all of them. I would really appreciate some explanantion for removing this simple reference, WHICH STILL SEEMS TO BE IN THE GAME?!?!?!? You just can't see them, although the UI tells you they are at such'n'such coords....

TheDeliveryMan
x4

Post by TheDeliveryMan » Mon, 19. Apr 21, 07:37

After X3 the new XR/X4 game engine was rewritten from scratch. Internally x,y,z-coordinates are used to for object positions. However, the UI to display these coordinates was not implemented. Probably because there were more important things to do. So this feature was not removed, it is just not yet added to the new engine.

myerlon
x4

Post by myerlon » Mon, 19. Apr 21, 15:43

Thank you both for the info. My brain has settled into a slightly irked state of mind. The lid even landed back on top. :/ I knew the coords were there, you just couldn't see them except when long-range scans came back with "unknown object at x#y#z#". Now that the second expansion is out maybe they can actually get around to implementing the xyz coords in the UI. On top of all the other QoL requests from the feedback...

myerlon

Return to “X4: Foundations”