Suggestion to change GUI for ship modding.

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

chip56

Suggestion to change GUI for ship modding.

Post by chip56 » Mon, 19. Apr 21, 14:06

Everytime i do edit the mods of a ship i keep thinking "so many clicks" and "which one of those mods did affect what as secondary effect?".
So i have a made a very quick and dirty suggestion how it could be reordered to reduce clicks and to increase shown information.

First lets start with a screenshot how it is now:
https://ibb.co/wY2tWGn
AS you can see to install a mod you first need to select the weapon and unfold that.
Then you need to select a mod.
Then you can install it.
All that also means that any other weapons move down further and you need to start scrolling too. Unless you go and unfold everything again.

So here is my suggestion: Use the space to the right:
https://ibb.co/SmDQVxn
Advantages: you can select any slot right away.
If you know which mod you want you can select the install button right away without going into the submenu of that mod.
Since you no longer need the room for the slot and the install button you can actually show every changed parameter on the right side instead of "Up to 2 more properties".
By making that box the same for each weapon you also no longer have each mod listed again for each weapon so no more scrolling needed.

af_2017
x4

Re: Suggestion to change GUI for ship modding.

Post by af_2017 » Mon, 19. Apr 21, 14:44

does not look correct either because it is more possible to install "don't know what" by mistake. That is, multiple "install" are too close to each other.

what i don't like in the latest update: order of recipes has been changed. Previously they were grouped by effect. Currently i need to apply more focus by searching needed effect because new sorting is neither alphabetical.
thanks egosoft for adding "reassemble" which replaces two clicks "dismantle" and "install".
X4 is not a destination. It's a journey. Unfortunately in a wrong direction.

chip56

Post by chip56 » Mon, 19. Apr 21, 14:58

Guess you could change it to "install selected mod" and have only one button to avoid clicking the wrong one of those buttons.

I still think however that the problem of misclicking here would be rather minor and worth the reduced amount of clicks since you would only use a few credits. I am expecting i am more annoyed by the multiple clicks than i would be if i misclick once every 50-100 mods and lose those creds.

Pares
x4

Post by Pares » Mon, 19. Apr 21, 23:04

Band-aid on a .50 cal bullet wound.

dtpsprt
x4

Post by dtpsprt » Tue, 20. Apr 21, 00:10

I find the proposition preposterous as it takes advantage of the full screen UI minimising (or even eliminating) the view of the player's ship which, of course, he/she has never seen again in all their playing life!!!
Jokes aside the whole UI needs serious rethinking and redesigning.

chip56

Post by chip56 » Tue, 20. Apr 21, 08:01

Oh, that the UI could use some serious changes i agree with. But i am willing to go with a hopefully rather quick fix to improve it at least to the point where its not driving me crazy...

Return to “X4: Foundations”