Reputation Gain - Contested area?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Dagonfel

Reputation Gain - Contested area?

Post by Dagonfel » Mon, 19. Apr 21, 21:54

I'm in the Fires of Defeat, which is currently a contested sector owned by the free families. I noticed a Xenon K running around blowing up stations and setting up their own. I was looking for a boost to my rep with this faction so I can buy the raptor blueprints and start building them. Figured if you get 1 rep boost for stopping a thieving civilian ship, I should about get max killing a K and a defense station. I took my fleet and did just that. I left the game running to see that my fleet wiped out probably another 10 K's and their cohorts that were coming through as well. Not a single point in reputation gain though.

Should you be getting reputation killing ships attacking another faction in their sector? Or is it because it is contested that I'm not getting anything?

Thank you!

KextV8
x4

Re: Reputation Gain - Contested area?

Post by KextV8 » Mon, 19. Apr 21, 22:02

You dont gain rep for your fleets killing things while out of sector. Im not sure you gain it for fleets in sector either. If you are in sector and kill it with your personal ship while you are piloting, you will gain rep, maybe. Depends on factors.

Dagonfel

Post by Dagonfel » Mon, 19. Apr 21, 22:30

Yeah, I was in sector for the whole thing. I was piloting one of my carriers performing the assault on the defense station. I doubt I was the last shot on the station since there were many more of my ships than just me there.

Midnitewolf

Post by Midnitewolf » Mon, 19. Apr 21, 22:44

Dagonfel wrote:
Mon, 19. Apr 21, 22:30
Yeah, I was in sector for the whole thing. I was piloting one of my carriers performing the assault on the defense station. I doubt I was the last shot on the station since there were many more of my ships than just me there.
From what I have seen you don't get any rep for any faction except if whatever you killed was actively shooting at that faction's ship or station before you killed it. I guess they figure that if it wasn't actively shooting at them, you weren't actually defending them by preemptively killing their enemy or something like that.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Tue, 20. Apr 21, 00:11

Civilian criminals do not shoot at anyone. Yet, you gain reputation by shooting them.
Dagonfel wrote:
Mon, 19. Apr 21, 21:54
Should you be getting reputation killing ships attacking another faction in their sector?
ANT-TER relationship is -15. Not friendly. Not even neutral but not openly hostile either. If I personally kill a TER in ANT sector, I get reward for (A) my Argon police license and (B) if near (<40km?) ANT station. Reputation too, if near ANT station. That, however, does not show so much once your reputation is already high.

FRF-XEN relationship is -30. Killing XEN "near" FRF station yourself should show in reputation.
Did you check the message log? Reputation changes are mentioned, even if visible change is 0.
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

Dagonfel

Post by Dagonfel » Tue, 20. Apr 21, 03:59

jlehtone wrote:
Tue, 20. Apr 21, 00:11
Civilian criminals do not shoot at anyone. Yet, you gain reputation by shooting them.
Dagonfel wrote:
Mon, 19. Apr 21, 21:54
Should you be getting reputation killing ships attacking another faction in their sector?
ANT-TER relationship is -15. Not friendly. Not even neutral but not openly hostile either. If I personally kill a TER in ANT sector, I get reward for (A) my Argon police license and (B) if near (<40km?) ANT station. Reputation too, if near ANT station. That, however, does not show so much once your reputation is already high.

FRF-XEN relationship is -30. Killing XEN "near" FRF station yourself should show in reputation.
Did you check the message log? Reputation changes are mentioned, even if visible change is 0.
I was at +14 rep with them before I killed the first xenon ship. When I was done with the station and roughly 30 xenon husks I am still at +14 rep.

Wraith_Magus
x3tc

Post by Wraith_Magus » Tue, 20. Apr 21, 05:00

Rep gain is pretty slow. You don't get +1 rep for killing one ship or making one trade, but you get it for killing a dozen.

It's better if there was shooting between a station and the Xenon at/around the time of the destruction, but I have had recognition of my "helping" defeat Xenon when I just flew near a station to use it as cover/extra when I was getting swarmed and needed some shield recharge time in the past.

The easiest way to know you're getting rep is that someone will radio you about a minute later saying some variant of "Thanks for the assist. Here, take this for the help." (Credits based upon ship size - oddly, even Ts and Ns are worth like 10k credits, but a K is worth only 60k. In spite of size and interface icons, L and XL ships are generally only treated by most game metrics as marginally more threatening than a S ship, so you're ironically better off stomping swarms of little ships at a breakneck pace than taking the time to break down the big ones.)

Also, if you can do so, taking faction missions raises reputation significantly more than just randomly shooting down a Xenon, even a K. Note it has to be a faction mission, not just some random mission from a station owned by the faction.

Honestly, though, your best bet for reputation if you've got positive enough rep to land/trade is not through combat but trading. Set up an autominer in a sector with an ore/silicon/whatever refinery owned by that faction, and just let it do its thing for a long-term passive rep gain. For factions that lack normal stations, like MIN and HAT, you'll need to set up factories that will trade with their shipyards/trading posts. Like with everything else, having something automated build your Rep for you will lead to maxing it out far faster than doing it yourself.

Return to “X4: Foundations”