[FEEDBACK]New Paranid Carrier can only carry 16 fighters? - WAI.

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

abisha1980
x4

Re: [FEEDBACK]New Paranid Carrier can only carry 16 fighters? - WAI.

Post by abisha1980 » Fri, 28. Jan 22, 20:19

do you guys even know how fast the new E-Carrier is in travel? it go's a whooping 6000 in travel mode with speed of 290m/s normal speed
Retail investor, η+18,9% 2022 (η+7.1% 2023) (η+0,74 2024) 95% in bonds.
Young people don't be freaking stupid invest also (not in BTC but in real stocks)

grimgore
x4

Post by grimgore » Fri, 28. Jan 22, 21:55

abisha1980 wrote:
Fri, 28. Jan 22, 20:19
do you guys even know how fast the new E-Carrier is in travel? it go's a whooping 6000 in travel mode with speed of 290m/s normal speed
Yes what is the point in arming? He won't be able to destroy a Colossus, let alone a Raptor. It can always run away quickly, but it won't work with the stubborn Xenon. They won't let you go. The only thing that matters in a large carrier with this armament is capacity. If it were an L-carrier, I would say super. But it's a huge XL carrier.

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Fri, 28. Jan 22, 22:10

abisha1980 wrote:
Yeah, it's fast, unnecessarily so for a carrier. Really not sure what to do with it. Too fast to use in a conventional fleet (given that it's so much faster than any version of Odysseus) & a fleet consisting of just a carrier & a bunch of fighters is a fleet distinctly lacking in punch. May end up having to install the basic Minuteman mod on it's engines - the increase in boost is largely irrelevant but it would at least chop 25-30% off the travel speed (so destroyers could keep up). Frankly would vastly prefer higher fighter capacity than excessively fast engines I'll likely need to nerf to get anything resembling fleet cohesion.

Ragnos28
x4

Post by Ragnos28 » Fri, 28. Jan 22, 22:18

abisha1980 wrote:
It will be a great carrier to fly personaly...the thing is, you will need some real carriers to protect it :D
Ok, I had my fun :P The only thing I see it good for is anti Kha'ak patrol...so an enhance design ship that I will not see about 90% of the time...win win :roll:

abisha1980
x4

Post by abisha1980 » Fri, 28. Jan 22, 22:22

Ragnos28 wrote:
Fri, 28. Jan 22, 22:18
abisha1980 wrote:
It will be a great carrier to fly personaly...the thing is, you will need some real carriers to protect it :D
Ok, I had my fun :P The only thing I see it good for is anti Kha'ak patrol...so an enhance design ship that I will not see about 90% of the time...win win :roll:
that's why it can launch 4 fighters and 1M at start of a battle.
it's a great ship to fly personally few Xenon not gonna be a pain and it quite agile and fast.

like the perfect frigate we never had.
Retail investor, η+18,9% 2022 (η+7.1% 2023) (η+0,74 2024) 95% in bonds.
Young people don't be freaking stupid invest also (not in BTC but in real stocks)

LameFox
x4

Post by LameFox » Fri, 28. Jan 22, 22:27

I think it will be fine without protection (in player hands anyway). Like a personal M ship, it should outrun anything that could kill it and kill anything that can catch it.
***modified***

Ragnos28
x4

Post by Ragnos28 » Fri, 28. Jan 22, 22:33

LameFox wrote:
Fri, 28. Jan 22, 22:27
I think it will be fine without protection (in player hands anyway). Like a personal M ship, it should outrun anything that could kill it and kill anything that can catch it.
Yeap good for runing away, bad for killing anything other that 5 xenon M (ok, let's make it 10 :P) or something like that :roll:
Last edited by Ragnos28 on Fri, 28. Jan 22, 22:49, edited 2 times in total.

Ragnos28
x4

Post by Ragnos28 » Fri, 28. Jan 22, 22:37

abisha1980 wrote:
Fri, 28. Jan 22, 22:22
that's why it can launch 4 fighters and 1M at start of a battle.
it's a great ship to fly personally few Xenon not gonna be a pain and it quite agile and fast.

like the perfect frigate we never had.
Well...when I enter a xenon sector, this happens https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccNBsTc8hzo&t=504s :o

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Fri, 28. Jan 22, 23:02

abisha1980 wrote:
Fri, 28. Jan 22, 22:22
Not sure 'agile' is quite the word I'd use to characterise a ship with a 2°/second turn rate...

LameFox
x4

Post by LameFox » Fri, 28. Jan 22, 23:05

Ragnos28 wrote:
Fri, 28. Jan 22, 22:33
LameFox wrote:
Fri, 28. Jan 22, 22:27
Yeap good for runing away, bad for killing anything other that 5 xenon M (ok, let's make it 10 :P) or something like that :roll:
Being able to outrun fights you can't win is not without its uses and has seriously lacked in this game since the transition to travel drives. Alone, this looks like it will be a good carrier for the earlier part of a playthrough, to maintain a squad of fighters before replacements become trivial and when filling up something like a Tokyo or Colossus is still an expensive endeavour. Later I suppose you could replace it if you want to use single ships, or build more of it, since it does not really matter a great deal once you have the resources.

My only concern is that I have seen carrier AI struggle with being able to move while fighters are coming in to land. Not sure if that has improved since then, as in my current playthrough I am using Tokyos which are barely mobile at the best of times.
***modified***

Ragnos28
x4

Post by Ragnos28 » Fri, 28. Jan 22, 23:17

LameFox wrote:
Fri, 28. Jan 22, 23:05
Being able to outrun fights you can't win is not without its uses and has seriously lacked in this game since the transition to travel drives. Alone, this looks like it will be a good carrier for the earlier part of a playthrough, to maintain a squad of fighters before replacements become trivial and when filling up something like a Tokyo or Colossus is still an expensive endeavour. Later I suppose you could replace it if you want to use single ships, or build more of it, since it does not really matter a great deal once you have the resources.

My only concern is that I have seen carrier AI struggle with being able to move while fighters are coming in to land. Not sure if that has improved since then, as in my current playthrough I am using Tokyos which are barely mobile at the best of times.
If being able to outrun fights that you can't win is what you are after, then the new Odyseuss would be better suited for that task. To be used like a more resiliant fast replacement for a Rattlesnake, for engine sniping of Xenon K and I.
Now, if the Zeus E would become a pocket carrier, a "destroyer" that can rapidly deploy fighters...for that the frame should be decreased, more L turrets added, not make it wider that the old Zeus, making it an even biger target.

LameFox
x4

Post by LameFox » Fri, 28. Jan 22, 23:30

Ragnos28 wrote:
Fri, 28. Jan 22, 23:17
If being able to outrun fights that you can't win is what you are after, then the new Odyseuss would be better suited for that task. To be used like a more resiliant fast replacement for a Rattlesnake, for engine sniping of Xenon K and I.
Now, if the Zeus E would become a pocket carrier, a "destroyer" that can rapidly deploy fighters...for that the frame should be decreased, more L turrets added, not make it wider that the old Zeus, making it an even biger target.
Admittedly from a purely functional standpoint I don't really need carriers at all in this game. However if the player does want to use fighters, which we can assume some will in a sandbox game, there's been a conspicuous absence of lighter carriers for some time now. You can put a lot of fighters in something like a destroyer, but it can't repair them, so you are left with either doing it manually or flying back and forth to wharfs or EQ docks.

As for the size, I think that matters more to something like a destroyer which is trading shots with another capital ship. I would anticipate something like this to primarily engage the S and M ships that can keep up with it in standard flight. If I were using it in the way I described here as service to a small personal fleet, I would cripple L and XL ships myself in something smaller.
***modified***

Ragnos28
x4

Post by Ragnos28 » Sat, 29. Jan 22, 02:17

LameFox wrote:
Fri, 28. Jan 22, 23:30
Admittedly from a purely functional standpoint I don't really need carriers at all in this game.
Well...I need carriers, so I can do this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccNBsTc8hzo&t=21s
Also I would pay good money to see what a light carrier can do in that combat scenario...then maybe I will be convinced about their utility :roll: Until them I will stick to the "standard" carriers, thank you :)

LameFox
x4

Post by LameFox » Sat, 29. Jan 22, 03:07

Ragnos28 wrote:
Sat, 29. Jan 22, 02:17
LameFox wrote:
Admittedly from a purely functional standpoint I don't really need carriers at all in this game.
Well...I need carriers, so I can do this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccNBsTc8hzo&t=21s
Also I would pay good money to see what a light carrier can do in that combat scenario...then maybe I will be convinced about their utility :roll: Until them I will stick to the "standard" carriers, thank you :)
Ok? This does not have to be one of them. If they want to add a ship for every possible role to each race at some point that's fine by me.
***modified***

flywlyx
x4

Post by flywlyx » Sat, 29. Jan 22, 03:47

GCU Grey Area wrote:
Fri, 28. Jan 22, 22:10
Yeah, it's fast, unnecessarily so for a carrier. Really not sure what to do with it. Too fast to use in a conventional fleet (given that it's so much faster than any version of Odysseus) & a fleet consisting of just a carrier & a bunch of fighters is a fleet distinctly lacking in punch. May end up having to install the basic Minuteman mod on it's engines - the increase in boost is largely irrelevant but it would at least chop 25-30% off the travel speed (so destroyers could keep up). Frankly would vastly prefer higher fighter capacity than excessively fast engines I'll likely need to nerf to get anything resembling fleet cohesion.
Pretty good fit to work with rattlesnakes and assemble a rapid response fleet.
Rattlesnake could provide the big gun while Zeus E focuses on AA.
We lack this kind of carrier in our fleet.
But I agree this should not be the only carrier for PAR, they should have a normal carrier to work with Ody.

flywlyx
x4

Post by flywlyx » Sat, 29. Jan 22, 03:50

Ragnos28 wrote:
No carrier could catch up with Rattlesnake at the moment, a rapid response fleet could terminate a Xenon invasion in no time.

Raptor34
x4

Post by Raptor34 » Sat, 29. Jan 22, 07:47

abisha1980 wrote:
Unmoded?
So it's both bigger and way faster?
That's pretty odd.
Actually off memory that's pretty damned fast. How fast is a Rattlesnake again? Just taking a quick look at Roguey's it seems that with Split All around engines its 233 with a third of that travel speed.
I mean it's nice and all, but it seems pretty damned weird.

So since we aren't getting a nerf to other ships, could we get a buff at least? I can't remember if that messes with save game compatibility or it's something else.
LameFox wrote:
Ragnos28 wrote:
Fri, 28. Jan 22, 23:17
Admittedly from a purely functional standpoint I don't really need carriers at all in this game. However if the player does want to use fighters, which we can assume some will in a sandbox game, there's been a conspicuous absence of lighter carriers for some time now. You can put a lot of fighters in something like a destroyer, but it can't repair them, so you are left with either doing it manually or flying back and forth to wharfs or EQ docks.

As for the size, I think that matters more to something like a destroyer which is trading shots with another capital ship. I would anticipate something like this to primarily engage the S and M ships that can keep up with it in standard flight. If I were using it in the way I described here as service to a small personal fleet, I would cripple L and XL ships myself in something smaller.
Destroyers also cannot actually make use of their S capacity anyway.
Like who here seriously sits around slowly launching all 40 of their fighters? It's only effective purpose is to garage your personal S ships as you're puttering around the universe.

As for size, it's more a QoL thing. The stats so far are pretty good for a personal ship, it's just way too fat imo for those stats. If the other guy is correct about those stats.
flywlyx wrote:
Sat, 29. Jan 22, 03:47
GCU Grey Area wrote:
Fri, 28. Jan 22, 22:10
Pretty good fit to work with rattlesnakes and assemble a rapid response fleet.
Rattlesnake could provide the big gun while Zeus E focuses on AA.
We lack this kind of carrier in our fleet.
But I agree this should not be the only carrier for PAR, they should have a normal carrier to work with Ody.
The other carrier is still around.

But honestly, I still want a L-sized carrier, something small and sweet to fly around in and store my ships.
Otoh now that the Odysseus E looks a whole lot sexier I guess it'll do. It does have the M dock. What's it's capacity anyway?

Ragnos28
x4

Post by Ragnos28 » Sat, 29. Jan 22, 08:49

LameFox wrote:
Sat, 29. Jan 22, 03:07
Ragnos28 wrote:
LameFox wrote:
Ok? This does not have to be one of them. If they want to add a ship for every possible role to each race at some point that's fine by me.
The question is...what to do with a pocket carrier? The only thing I could kill with that huge thing (Zeus E a light carrier...that is huge? :o ) is maybe kill 10 xenon M or some Kha'ak, for everything else one would need a proper carrier. I see a xenon K..run screaming like a little girl...a xenon branch 9 I ?...yeah, right.

And from where I'm standing, there is nothing a light carrier can achieve that my Raptor can't (from a tactical point of view). What? I enter a sector and there are some Kha'ak 250 km away? Select a number of fighters...let's say 16...atack target in range...there...my Raptor is now a light carrier :D The diference being, if I encounter a Xenon I + 4 Xenon K friends + 30 xenon M...I don't have to call anyone :mrgreen: maybe the salvage ship when 5.00 drop :D

So I need a light carrier for ...........................? (please fill in the dotted line) :gruebel:
Last edited by Ragnos28 on Sat, 29. Jan 22, 09:05, edited 1 time in total.

Ragnos28
x4

Post by Ragnos28 » Sat, 29. Jan 22, 08:52

flywlyx wrote:
Sat, 29. Jan 22, 03:50
No carrier could catch up with Rattlesnake at the moment, a rapid response fleet could terminate a Xenon invasion in no time.
Can you give me an example of the composition of that...rapid response fleet? I would like to build it in my game so I can watch it go splat :twisted: I mean...testing it :roll:

Edit: And to be fair, I would not test that fleet to see if it can depopulate the most heavily defended xenon sector in my game in under 20 minutes, more like this scenario: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOSXAhjB8pA&t=16s

Ragnos28
x4

Post by Ragnos28 » Sat, 29. Jan 22, 09:16

Raptor34 wrote:
Sat, 29. Jan 22, 07:47
But honestly, I still want a L-sized carrier, something small and sweet to fly around in and store my ships.
You have the Behemoth for that :P Is small and sweet and you can store your ships :mrgreen: ...well, as long as they are S ships 8)

Return to “X4: Foundations”