Field Of View - Preventing motion sickness

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

VioletRoll
x4

Field Of View - Preventing motion sickness

Post by VioletRoll » Thu, 4. May 23, 15:57

Hi! with the recent expansion coming out i have been getting back into the game and have been wondering if there are any plans for a fov (Field of view) slider? with the default ~90 fov, flying around and walking on stations very rapidly makes me motion sick making it hard to play for more than 15 minutes at a time.

I have also been attempting to mod the feature in and am having a hard time figuring out where any camera parameters are stored so if anyone has a clue that would be greatly appreciated!

A5PECT
x4

Re: Field Of View - Preventing motion sickness

Post by A5PECT » Thu, 4. May 23, 16:10

There are some technical issues that would need to be solved if fov were made adjustable. One is that the HUD and UI are designed specifically for the fov the game is currently set at. Try opening the map while piloting a ship, and then use free look: the UI is literally a plane projected in front of the player camera. So that would need some amount of development time to make work with variable fov.

Another comment I've seen from the devs is that because the player is viewing the game from a character inside a ship, simply widening the fov would often result in only showing more of the cockpit/bridge, rather then increase visibility of objects outside of the ship.

On that point, I'd say let players do it and see how it works out themselves. It may still help players that experience motion sickness in the game's current state, which would automatically make it worth doing, imo. It also ignores the option of allowing variable fov for third-person ship cameras.
Admitting you have a problem is the first step in figuring out how to make it worse.

VioletRoll
x4

Post by VioletRoll » Thu, 4. May 23, 16:51

Yea i noticed the UI scaling issue while investigating what others had done but it appears that the game increases the fov when increasing the aspect ratio? so it should just be as simple as allowing the user to do this with a slider to choose for themselves, granted i dont know how this game was made and it could be much more complicated.

On the note about third person i agree that would be great to have an option to change the fov for specific views (maybe a input to adjust the "zoom" with min/max restriction increases for the ware that already does this?

About the ship bridges, while yea you would see more of the bridge many bridges and cockpits still have large viewports that you cant see most of without using the freelook.

Regardless of the implications for flying your ships, while walking around it would be great to be able to change this to help those that get motion sick (such as myself).

Radamanthe Nemes
x4

Post by Radamanthe Nemes » Thu, 4. May 23, 20:42

A5PECT wrote:
Thu, 4. May 23, 16:10
There are some technical issues that would need to be solved if fov were made adjustable. One is that the HUD and UI are designed specifically for the fov the game is currently set at. Try opening the map while piloting a ship, and then use free look: the UI is literally a plane projected in front of the player camera. So that would need some amount of development time to make work with variable fov.
It’s just a projected quad. Precalculating four unprojected vertices to stick to the corners of a frustum (for a camera initially placed at the pilot seat) at some distance forward is not a big deal, really. I guess they already do something like that, so in this regard changing the fov would require nothing more than recalculating these vertices the same way, as fov is part of what defines the frustum.

Brinnie
x3tc

Post by Brinnie » Sat, 6. May 23, 15:02

VioletRoll wrote:
Thu, 4. May 23, 15:57
Hi! with the recent expansion coming out i have been getting back into the game and have been wondering if there are any plans for a fov (Field of view) slider? with the default ~90 fov, flying around and walking on stations very rapidly makes me motion sick making it hard to play for more than 15 minutes at a time.

I have also been attempting to mod the feature in and am having a hard time figuring out where any camera parameters are stored so if anyone has a clue that would be greatly appreciated!
Hi, if I understand well, you might be experiencing something similiar to what I do when walking around stations.
For me it is nothing new and certainly not something specific to X4, rather a thing that has been bothering me ever since I started playing first person shooters.

With X4 I also have a relatively low frame rate while in first person which I think might make matters worse. I have not found a way to change FOV which I usually fixes this issue for me but I have found that an existing mod helps me by reducing the amount of time I spend walking in first person. It is "Accessibilty Features" by Kuerte, although it is aimed at far more necessary needs it does do wonders for my specific one.

Just to be clear it does not change the way first person view looks or moves, it just gives you a more direct way to get to your destinations. So you spend less time looking at a screen mode that causes you motion sickness.

Selected
x4

Post by Selected » Tue, 14. May 24, 04:16

I have the same issue as you.. walking around stations or flying near stations trying to scan for that damn boso HQ quest.. im sitting here all greenfaced right now just trying to get through it without throwing up.. its rough!

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Tue, 14. May 24, 12:20

I thought FoV was already adjustable in 7.00. I recommend trying it out as the discussion above is a year old.

SwizzleStick86
x4

Post by SwizzleStick86 » Tue, 14. May 24, 20:36

Like the last message said, I was just on 7.00 beta this morning and it has a FOV slider in the video options...yall should try it out (works great for my UltraWide!).
"It can only be attributable to human error."
-HAL 9000

Return to “X4: Foundations”