There should be an "attack move" order

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

LameFox
x4

There should be an "attack move" order

Post by LameFox » Sun, 10. Mar 24, 03:03

This is a fairly standard thing in RTS games, that I feel would be useful here. Right now the closest equivalent is probably to chain AOE attack orders, but that's cumbersome to do and makes the ships move very slowly because they drop out of travel drive for every point in the chain. A proper attack move would make better point-to-point patrols, and maybe the AI could use it sometimes too. I think it would suit Intervention Corps fleets and other similar attack forces for instance.

What's interesting is that, in a way, the functionality already exists. If I tell a ship to patrol a far-away sector, it will try to engage the enemies it passes on the way there, both trying to reach its sector but also patrolling already. This is kind of annoying when you just want it to go patrol its sector, but I think it shows that such an order can work. It would just need to be issuable to a point instead of a whole system.
***modified***

Koizuki

Re: There should be an "attack move" order

Post by Koizuki » Sun, 10. Mar 24, 19:49

I definitely agree with this, as I also struggle with making and controlling "Patrol" fleets via Repeat Orders viable currently.
Right now, you either have to issue to 'Attack Enemies in Range' orders with such huge overlap that they spend the entire route in normal speed, or you space them out to trigger travel drives between nodes, but end up with the situation where the fleet ignores an enemy that appears in range after they've begun the move to their next position.

The only semi-workaround I have so far isn't very elegant either -- I have to build a carrier, then subordinate all the patrols under it, and then use its Position Defense to space them out along the route. It works okay for S/M ships, but really awkward when you include Destroyers into this form of "Patrol Fleet."

flywlyx
x4

Post by flywlyx » Tue, 12. Mar 24, 17:45

This command may become useful once they enhance the fleet behavior, as it is currently quite limited in its effectiveness.

The patrol order you referenced is a prime example. Presently, ships travel individually within a sector. You might want to observe how the TER intervention force navigates through enemy sectors, particularly when the commander is an Asgard. I'm quite certain it's not what you're anticipating.

The essential point should be that the fleet remains in formation at all times unless there's an attack order in effect.

Nico07091980
x3tc

Post by Nico07091980 » Sat, 23. Mar 24, 07:39

LameFox wrote:
Sun, 10. Mar 24, 03:03
This is a fairly standard thing in RTS games, that I feel would be useful here. Right now the closest equivalent is probably to chain AOE attack orders, but that's cumbersome to do and makes the ships move very slowly because they drop out of travel drive for every point in the chain. A proper attack move would make better point-to-point patrols, and maybe the AI could use it sometimes too. I think it would suit Intervention Corps fleets and other similar attack forces for instance.

What's interesting is that, in a way, the functionality already exists. If I tell a ship to patrol a far-away sector, it will try to engage the enemies it passes on the way there, both trying to reach its sector but also patrolling already. This is kind of annoying when you just want it to go patrol its sector, but I think it shows that such an order can work. It would just need to be issuable to a point instead of a whole system.
I'd love it! Thought about that too. Patrol is a standard behavior. If this attack move action just can work as standard behavior it would be good if you could select multiple waypoints.

Return to “X4: Foundations”