[Request] Xenon difficulty slider

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Would you like the option to modify Xenon difficulty?

Yes
69%
No
31%

Total votes: 39

Falcrack
x4

[Request] Xenon difficulty slider

Post by Falcrack » Wed, 10. Apr 24, 19:26

I think it would be cool if we could adjust the difficulty of Xenon at game start, by modifying the construction costs of their ships/stations, their ship unit cap, and their ship/station hp and weapon output. This could be done in the custom game start setup, with a slider or number we could type in to modify each of these variables.

I want to be able to mess up the game the way I want in custom games, to have the freedom to throw the intended game balance out the window. What do you guys think? Are there other things you would add to this?

LandogarX4
x4

Re: [Request] Xenon difficulty slider

Post by LandogarX4 » Wed, 10. Apr 24, 22:59

Or implement this adjustment of Xenon difficulty as part of an (end-game) quest. Then the balance until that point will be as is, and any instability after the quest is on the player. It would be an infinitely better 'end-game crisis' than what is currently in the beta.

surferx
x4

Post by surferx » Fri, 12. Apr 24, 02:11

This would be the equivalent of an "easy button." No thanks! There are numerous ways to restrict Xenon expansion in the game already. You just have to build up your fleets and attack or set up gate defenses. IOW just play the game as intended. If there is a "slider" implemented it should mark your game as modified.
If you want to go fast, go alone.
If you want to go far, go together.

Operating System:
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit CPU: 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KF RAM: 32606 MBytes MBO: Gigabyte Z790 UD AC (U3E1) GPU: ZOTAC GEFORCE RTX 4080 Trinity OC NVIDIA 16 GB GDDR6 SSD: AJP600M2TB 1907 GB

flywlyx
x4

Post by flywlyx » Fri, 12. Apr 24, 03:18

surferx wrote:
Fri, 12. Apr 24, 02:11
This would be the equivalent of an "easy button." No thanks! There are numerous ways to restrict Xenon expansion in the game already. You just have to build up your fleets and attack or set up gate defenses. IOW just play the game as intended. If there is a "slider" implemented it should mark your game as modified.
You clearly misunderstand, people are looking for way to make Xenon stronger.

Current Xenon is too weak, the whole galaxy only has 3 Is, end game crisis is a good addon, but it ends and the strength is slightly weaker than I expected. I would like something like 5 I +15K to make an epic battle.

LameFox
x4

Post by LameFox » Fri, 12. Apr 24, 03:51

I remember getting the impression they don't like sliders. Personally I don't mind it, I think of games like Kenshi or Rimworld which give a lot of control over the state of their game and IMO the games are better for it. And sure, you CAN absolutely mess up your game world with sliders. You can screw up the balance and get annihilated, have towns that are intended to hold their own be overrun by bandits or animals, that sort of thing. But people like that, they like the freedom it gives them, even though they can break the game. So maybe the balance concerns aren't entirely warranted. I think as long as the balance of your default settings work, it's okay to let people tweak it how they like—the results of that are their own fault.
***modified***

surferx
x4

Post by surferx » Fri, 12. Apr 24, 04:10

flywlyx wrote:
Fri, 12. Apr 24, 03:18
surferx wrote:

Current Xenon is too weak, the whole galaxy only has 3 Is, end game crisis is a good addon, but it ends and the strength is slightly weaker than I expected. I would like something like 5 I +15K to make an epic battle.
Well, thank you for clearing that up. I just thought the slider could be used both ways, weaker or stronger.
If you want to go fast, go alone.
If you want to go far, go together.

Operating System:
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit CPU: 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KF RAM: 32606 MBytes MBO: Gigabyte Z790 UD AC (U3E1) GPU: ZOTAC GEFORCE RTX 4080 Trinity OC NVIDIA 16 GB GDDR6 SSD: AJP600M2TB 1907 GB

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Fri, 12. Apr 24, 05:59

surferx wrote:
Fri, 12. Apr 24, 04:10
flywlyx wrote:
Fri, 12. Apr 24, 03:18
surferx wrote:

Well, thank you for clearing that up. I just thought the slider could be used both ways, weaker or stronger.
I suppose they could be used to make Xenon weaker. I was mostly interested in using it to make them significantly stronger. And of course, yes it should mark the game as modified. I don't care about that.

Arisaya
x4

Post by Arisaya » Fri, 12. Apr 24, 07:26

The only attribute I wouldn't buff with the slider would be station HP - their stations are already incredibly tanky and time consuming to fight and I fight them all personally because the AI just isn't sufficiently competent to do it without occasionally suffering losses that I then have to go and bother to replace.

If you make the xenon harder, I dont think it should get marked as modified, that should be only if you opt to nerf them.

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Fri, 12. Apr 24, 15:01

Might also get a slider for Kha'ak, to adjust the frequency and intensity of their raids.

alt3rn1ty
x4

Post by alt3rn1ty » Fri, 12. Apr 24, 20:02

Yes, its the one option I was hoping to be in a custom game start.
Either for Xenon or Kha'ak, and in both cases user choice is easier or harder.
Laptop Dell G15 5510 : Win 11 x64
CPU - 10th Gen' Core I7 10870H 2.2-5.0ghz, GPU - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060, VRAM 6gb GDDR5,
RAM - 32gb (2x16gb, Dual Channel mode set in BIOS) DDR4 2933mhz Kingston Fury Impact,
SSD - Kioxia M.2 NVME 512gb (System), + Samsung M.2 NVME 970 Evo Plus 1tb (Games)

:boron: Long live Queen Polypheides and may her tentacles always be supple.
Seeker of Sohnen.

mannys

Post by mannys » Fri, 12. Apr 24, 21:32

i would even pay for a DLC, which only contains an option to adjust the economy and strength of the xenon and khaak! Thus finally having a challenge and a thread in this game.

An option that allows factions to form alliances against the player, in particular when the player becomes too strong + the option that all factions not regarding their attitude towards each other, always fighting and conquering their neighboring sectors, especially vs the players owned sectors.

adeine
x4

Post by adeine » Fri, 12. Apr 24, 21:41

No.

While I'd like the potential for Xenon be more of a threat, I think a slider or flat multiplier to things is the wrong way of going about it. Allowing a bigger ship/unit cap is fine.

Reztroz
x4

Post by Reztroz » Sat, 13. Apr 24, 02:50

surferx wrote:
Well I must suck cause the xenon constantly steam roll my games.

They seem to cut the hyperloop there before I even get enough money or rep to build a defense station. My most recent game they completely wiped out Argon Prime before I could even get a destroyer.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Wed, 17. Apr 24, 22:37

Making Xenon stronger is same as making player weaker. Can you make yourself weaker, or do you need a slider for that? :boron:
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

Vovadrik
x4

Post by Vovadrik » Wed, 17. Apr 24, 22:47

Is it possible to make a mod like that?

Return to “X4: Foundations”