[Beta Query] IS Capital Ship Improvements/Asgard pathing

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

SaulX4

[Beta Query] IS Capital Ship Improvements/Asgard pathing

Post by SaulX4 » Thu, 25. Apr 24, 11:55

I'm not in the beta as I recognise that the prupose of the beta is to provide useful feedback, and I simply don't have the time available to do that. Kudos to all of you who do. However, I can't find any better location for this query so I'm posting it here.

One of the biggest draws to X4 for many players is the prospect of capital ship battles, but historically in-system capital ship AI has had its problems, especially with the battleship class vessels. I've read that economy AI has had a lot of improvements in the beta, and that sounds great, but I'd like to know if the same is true for IS capital ship battles.

To give you an idea of what I mean, I've stood on the bridge of an Asgard (single ship, no fleet) with a 5/5 piloting/morale captain (Shinamon) 11-12km off a xenon station with a single module, given it an attack order against the station, then watched as the ship fishtailed left and right on the spot for a full ten minutes, never moving into range of its plasma turrets and occasionally firing the main beam into empty space either side of the station module. That experience utterly soured me on IS capital combnat - it's no fun if all the big battles have to take place OOS because the mere presence of the player instantly ruins ships ability to fight.

As a side note, is Asgard and XL pathing any better? Even OOS, you give them an order to go somewhere and 80% of the time they turn round and go somewhere completely different. I gave one an OOS order to move close to a gate this morning and when I looked again a while later, it was sat stationary 20-odd km away from the move point facing the opposite direction with the move order still active. Destroyers seem to have no issue going where you tell them to go, but Asgards and XL ships seem to have a mind of their own. Most of the time to get them to do what I want I have to take control myself, which is highly annoying!

Love the game but I want to see the battles, not watch them on a map, and I'd quite like my Asgards/XL ships to go where I tell them like every other ship. Has the 7.0x beta improved these things at all?
Last edited by SaulX4 on Thu, 25. Apr 24, 18:43, edited 2 times in total.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Re: [Beta Query] IS Capital Ship Improvements/Asgard pathing

Post by CBJ » Thu, 25. Apr 24, 11:57

The right place is the main forum. Moved for you. :)

j.harshaw
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT

Re: [Beta Query] IS Capital Ship Improvements/Asgard pathing

Post by j.harshaw » Thu, 25. Apr 24, 12:04

SaulX4 wrote:
Thu, 25. Apr 24, 11:55
given it an attack order against the station, then watched as the ship fishtailed left and right on the spot for a full ten minutes
Did an improvement to address precisely that day before yesterday. Should be in beta 3.

SaulX4

Re: [Beta Query] IS Capital Ship Improvements/Asgard & XL pathing

Post by SaulX4 » Thu, 25. Apr 24, 12:35

j.harshaw wrote:
Thu, 25. Apr 24, 12:04
SaulX4 wrote:
Thu, 25. Apr 24, 11:55
given it an attack order against the station, then watched as the ship fishtailed left and right on the spot for a full ten minutes
Did an improvement to address precisely that day before yesterday. Should be in beta 3.
Thanks @CBJ, I figured that would happen if there was a better place for it. :)

@j.harshaw that's great to hear, thanks for the response. Any other IS capital improvements in the beta? Also, and sorry to bombard you with questions, but any thoughts on the Asgard/XL pathing issues? Seems weird that every other ship follows move orders properly but XL ships and Asgards just do whatever they feel like half the time.

Return to “X4: Foundations”