Using "shaderquality" above 0 causes all new games or loaded games to crash (nVidia 970m)

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

JebediahKerman
x4

Using "shaderquality" above 0 causes all new games or loaded games to crash (nVidia 970m)

Post by JebediahKerman » Mon, 10. Dec 18, 09:40

TLDR
There's a hidden "shaderquality" setting in your Egosoft/X4/config.xml file. It's set to 2 when you select the high quality preset and 0 when you select the low quality preset. On my nVidia 970m GPU, I will hit a 100% crash whenever I start a new game or load an existing game if this value is set to 2, even when all other settings are set to low from the in-game graphics settings panel with the custom preset selected. Resetting the quality preset to low or manually setting this value to 0 in the XML file fixes my new game and load crashes while still allowing me to customize other settings.

Some Extra Details
This problem happened after an autosave crash emerging from a gate, which also triggered a kernel panic in Windows 10, forcing a reboot. It goes without saying that a kernel panic is a very bad fault. Something you're doing in Vulkan is definitely not playing nice with the driver. Following this, after relaunching the game I would crash every time from loading a save file or starting a new game. I played around with all the graphics settings, but that shaderquality setting eluded me until I finally tried setting the low quality preset and noticed it changed, and then everything started to work again.

Kernel Fault:
The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x00000119 (VIDEO_SCHEDULER_INTERNAL_ERROR) (0x0000000000000002, 0xffffffffc000000d, 0xffffac8e9ec4c960, 0xffffb60128c88c10).

nVidia Driver 416.94 at time of fault
I recent updated to 417.22. The shader quality issue exists on both driver versions.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”