Game Won't Start - Insufficient VRAM on graphics card.

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

JessieRed

Game Won't Start - Insufficient VRAM on graphics card.

Post by JessieRed » Wed, 20. Mar 19, 21:19

Version: English 2.2
No mods
Start: N/A
The game is not starting. After pressing play on Steam, a black window appears for 2 seconds before closing. This has never happened before. I have played the game previously with no launch issues.
Only relevant changes are updates since I last played in 1.5

Specs
CPU/GPU: AMD A8-7600 Radeon R7 10 Compute Cores 4C+6G
1 GB V Ram
Vulkan Compatible: Not 100% sure, but since the game ran before I assume so.
8 GB Ram

Things I have tried:
Restarting my PC
Verifying integrity of files
Uninstalling and reinstalling

The only dump files I have are from January when I last played. I'm trying to use Event Viewer but I don't know how to use it to find what I need as the instructions on the forums aren't clear for what I need to do.

I don't know what I'm missing. If I need to gather any other information, please let me know and leave some instructions.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Game Won't Start

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 20. Mar 19, 21:29

Well the minimum gpu spec is with 3GB VRAM, so if you have 1GB dedicated VRAM then that is indeed insufficient.

Please upload a freshly-run DxDiag to a reputable public fileshare site and provide a link here so that we can take a look at your hardware, drivers and error messages. Thanks.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Wed, 20. Mar 19, 21:30

If you only have on-board graphics and 1GB of VRAM then your hardware doesn't even come close to meeting the minimum requirements for the game. That it ran before comes as more of a surprise than the fact that you say it doesn't run now. That said, you could try updating your graphics drivers.

JessieRed

Post by JessieRed » Thu, 21. Mar 19, 04:06

CBJ wrote:
Wed, 20. Mar 19, 21:30
If you only have on-board graphics and 1GB of VRAM then your hardware doesn't even come close to meeting the minimum requirements for the game. That it ran before comes as more of a surprise than the fact that you say it doesn't run now. That said, you could try updating your graphics drivers.
Magic I suppose. It did run before, though with frame issues. It doesn't bother me though, it's been 99% of my gaming experience. You just learn to enjoy what you can with what you have.

JessieRed

Post by JessieRed » Thu, 21. Mar 19, 04:13

Alan Phipps wrote:
Wed, 20. Mar 19, 21:29
Well the minimum gpu spec is with 3GB VRAM, so if you have 1GB dedicated VRAM then that is indeed insufficient.

Please upload a freshly-run DxDiag to a reputable public fileshare site and provide a link here so that we can take a look at your hardware, drivers and error messages. Thanks.
I was able to get both .txt files for DxDiag and Vulkaninfo and uploaded them to Google Drive.

Vulkan: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NBfZAo ... sp=sharing

DxDiag: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EKWwsi ... sp=sharing

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Thu, 21. Mar 19, 16:18

Thanks. The devs will have to look at the Vulkan info but I have looked at your DxDiag:

1. You have a Microsoft generic sound driver for your Realtek onboard sound chipset. Get Realtek HD Audio Codec R2.82 for Win10 x64 from the Realtek update site.

2. None of your reported Windows errors are directly related to X4 but I suspect that your issue will probably turn out to be VRAM (only less than 1 GB so not enough) or Vulkan-related.

wganas
x4

Post by wganas » Tue, 14. Jan 20, 05:40

I have a GeForce 1660 graphic card with 32gb of ram on my windows 10 system. And I have the lasted drivers for graphic card but the game said Vulkan error message that I need to update the graphic card drivers when I did already.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 14. Jan 20, 11:07

@ wganas: Please start your own new thread and provide the game and system information requested in the 'Read this first' Sticky on this forum. Links to the DxDiag and Vulkaninfo will probably be the most improtant information to provide in this particular case.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”