[3.30 + SV] Is there something wrong with the Wharf model?

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Scoob
x4

[3.30 + SV] Is there something wrong with the Wharf model?

Post by Scoob » Sat, 1. Aug 20, 16:06

Hey all,

I'm noticing something odd with the Wharf model. It acts like it's blocked one end, but only to an AI Pilot. While I can manually fly a ship in just fine, any M-Class AI-Controlled ships that tried to dock this end simply cannot. It just touches the force field and bounces off, and tries again and again and again without success. If however the ship chose to approach the other end this time, it flies in and docks just perfectly.

My game is modified, so no save, but the dock is just the vanilla Wharf used by all Factions.

I've not been sat on my Wharf for several minutes while a Transporter (M-Class Trade ship) repeatedly bounces off the force field one end. Obviously as soon as I move out of range it'll dock fine, but that's not the point.

Are others noticing this? I had it from time to time in a prior game, but thought the approach was perhaps obstructed somehow (it wasn't) but generally I wasn't on that station - nor in the sector - so it didn't matter. Now I am spending time on the station and all M-Class docking from one end only is basically broken when I'm around.

Note: I still cannot provide videos of this due to internet issues. Hopefully all will be fine come the 10th.

Scoob.

Pesanur
x4

Re: [3.30 + SV] Is there something wrong with the Wharf model?

Post by Pesanur » Sat, 1. Aug 20, 21:47

It also happens with Equipment Docks in vanilla game.

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Sat, 1. Aug 20, 21:54

Possibly some sort of AI helper path to helps ships route themselves out of it.

Scoob
x4

Post by Scoob » Sat, 1. Aug 20, 22:01

Pesanur wrote:
Sat, 1. Aug 20, 21:47
It also happens with Equipment Docks in vanilla game.
Yes, they have the Wharf module - S/M Ship Fabrication Bay - I see it on Faction equipment docks too.
Imperial Good wrote:
Sat, 1. Aug 20, 21:54
Possibly some sort of AI helper path to helps ships route themselves out of it.
Hmm, it's not working so well. The ships in question have a perfectly fine approach to the Bay, then seem to bounce off the force field - only passing partially through it - then they just try again, all the time wobbling (making constant small and pointless attitude changes) and look to bounce off once again. They're either bouncing or suddenly going full reverse - which I see sometimes when a ship is glitching out trying to dock on a normal open pad - whichever it is, the ships do not seem to be able to actually dock while the player is present.

Thought: the ship does act a bit like it's stuck clipping into a model and trying to escape, though the only thing it's clipping through is the force field. Like I mentioned, ships entering the other way do so perfectly smoothly. I wonder if this is linked to ships being able to dock either way around now, even though the guidance green ghost image will only show ONE direction.

Scoob.

Scoob
x4

Post by Scoob » Mon, 3. Aug 20, 22:09

I have some updated observations with this issue...

When the bug occurs and ships glitch out trying to enter the station, they sometimes eventually make it inside, but then continue to fly out the other side, turn around then proceed to enter and dock cleanly. However, while they traverse the S/M Ship Fabrication Bay they constantly glitch, stopping, reversing, moving forwards repeat repeat repeat for a couple of minutes. I really cannot remain on my Wharf at the moment, things become far too glitched.

Basically, there are two scenarios when a ship tries to dock at an S/M Ship Fabrication Bay.

1) The ship approaches from the "correct" side, flies through the force field and docks cleanly. Lovely.

2) The ship approaches from the "wrong" side, struggles to get through the force field and even if it does gltiches its way through the dock exiting the opposite end. It then turns around and docks cleanly as in 1) above.

Ships flying right through the bay to turn around and re-enter isn't new, but the constant glitching when (trying) to do so is.

Scoob.

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Wed, 5. Aug 20, 09:05

This might be one of those things that needs video evidence and possible unmodified reproduction saves. Then it could possibly be reported as a bug. However I have a feeling some of this behaviour is intended.

I still hold by my initial theory. There is a clear direction to docking specified by some sort of AI pathing helpers. Ships will always try to fly this path, even if they are approaching from the wrong direction. Hence they need to fly all the way through the module to reach the specified approach route and then they can proceed to follow it and dock correctly.

This can be seen on the Raptor carrier. Ships will only ever dock by approaching from behind and will only ever launch out the mouth. Even if the ship is located directly in front of the mouth, it will still have to make its way behind and approach from that direction even if doing so might not make sense at the specified time (all deployed ships returning).

Possibly in the plan build window there should be clear indicators, arrows, showing the direction AI will take when entering such modules. This could help players better position them for in sector operation.

Scoob
x4

Post by Scoob » Wed, 5. Aug 20, 11:54

I will upload a video once my internet is installed.

I get that a ship going in the wrong way only to exit, turn around and re-enter the dock is likely linked the the preferred (compulsory for AI?) docking direction. However, the fact that it goes in the "wrong" entrance in the first place should ideally be addressed, which should eliminate the issues ships have when just "passing through" from the wrong end.

The Raptor Carrier is a good example of a one-way system working fairly well, having the same in only / out only paramters on the S/M Ship Fabrication Bay might be worth while.

Note: while the paths to the S/M Bay on my station are perfectly clear - neither it, nor obstructing modules can be overlapped as far as I can tell - there might be something confusing the AI that it tried to avoid...even though there's nothing legitimately in the way.

Scoob.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 28. Sep 20, 11:19

I have observed something that may help to explain this issue that I noticed while a passenger on an M ship with a 4 star AI pilot repeatedly attempting to dock at a wharf.

If the M ship comes in from above or level to the wharf S/M roofed dock entrance then all goes fine. However, if the ship approaches from below the dock level (and the approach is decided by where it is coming from, which entrance/bay it uses and by the station geometry around the two approaches) then it may stop in front of the low entrance lip wall (which is a bit above the level of the M docks immediately inside). The pilot just jeeps jiggling side to side without the necessary short climb to get over the lip wall. It is as if the pilot wants to go around the lip rather than over it and as if trying to retain the correct height for subsequent landing despite the wall in front.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”