1.32 BUG X4 does not find all controllers. How to fix this?

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Feithless

T16000M FCS Not Showing Up

Post by Feithless » Fri, 7. Dec 18, 19:15

Hi, I have a T16000 FCS controller and it's not showing up at all. It shows up in Windows game controllers, but not in game... unsure how to fix it at all. :(

rrohde
x4

Re: [1.20 BUG] Virpil MongoosT-50 Throttle

Post by rrohde » Tue, 11. Dec 18, 05:41

UthervL wrote:
Fri, 7. Dec 18, 17:09
Anyone?

Steam sees my throttle, windows sees my throttle, all my other titles see this throttle.
I am baffled by the silence from the devs here. too. :(
PC: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz @ 5.1GHz | MSI GTX 1080 TI | ASUS Maximus IX Hero | 32GB DDR4 RAM | 512GB Samsung 850 PRO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit | Oculus Rift CV1 | Jetseat 908 | Monstertech MTX Sim Rig | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.II w/ MCG PRO

UthervL
x4

Re: 1.30 BUG X4 does not find all controllers. How to fix this?

Post by UthervL » Tue, 11. Dec 18, 17:51

Has there been any word on when the controller issues are going to be addressed?

I watched the video but I didn't hear anything about controllers.

My problems are with throttles and are as follows:

X-56 Rhino has to be remapped as a throttle axis continually. Works in all my other titles without problems

Virpil throttle not recognized (it is recognized by Windows, Steam, all my other Steam titles, and all other games I use it in.), this is the only game I own that does not recognize it.

Buzzark
x3

Re: 1.30 BUG X4 does not find all controllers. How to fix this?

Post by Buzzark » Wed, 12. Dec 18, 00:55

Yeah, I'm still waiting on some progress/suggestions/fixes. I'm stuck on keyboard at the moment and it's ruining it for me so I'm not really playing - though I have tried. I think if it reaches two weeks I'll just seek a refund and walk away.

rrohde
x4

Re: 1.32 BUG X4 does not find all controllers. How to fix this?

Post by rrohde » Wed, 12. Dec 18, 19:51

Question - do other X4 players that do *not* use Steam (e.g., those who bought the game from GOG) have the same issue? Or does X4 find all their controllers correctly?
PC: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz @ 5.1GHz | MSI GTX 1080 TI | ASUS Maximus IX Hero | 32GB DDR4 RAM | 512GB Samsung 850 PRO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit | Oculus Rift CV1 | Jetseat 908 | Monstertech MTX Sim Rig | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.II w/ MCG PRO

Buzzark
x3

Post by Buzzark » Thu, 13. Dec 18, 10:18

rrohde wrote:
Wed, 12. Dec 18, 19:51
Question - do other X4 players that do *not* use Steam (e.g., those who bought the game from GOG) have the same issue? Or does X4 find all their controllers correctly?
I'm on GOG, though I mentioned it earlier so you might not be asking me. :wink:

rrohde
x4

Post by rrohde » Thu, 13. Dec 18, 16:35

@Buzzark - Ah yes, so it's not a Steam issue then! At least that rules it out when GOG users experience the same.

rrohde
x4

Post by rrohde » Thu, 13. Dec 18, 20:11

Ok, so I contacted the manufacturer of my pedals, and he said the following;

"In some games there is a restriction - the game "does not see" devices that do not have the X and Y axes."

So this could definitively be the issue here. Of course, my TM Warthog throttle is detected, as it's Thrustmaster, and they are the defacto standard for controllers so Egosoft ensured it's found, however, other device from smaller shops that don't have X/Y axes might be left out.

Devs, can you check into that?

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Thu, 13. Dec 18, 20:13

That's an interesting theory. I believe some hardware has been ordered so that this can be looked into with a bit more hard information and a bit less guesswork, but the likelihood is that actually investigating the issue with that hardware won't happen until January now.

Bourrinopathe
x4

Post by Bourrinopathe » Thu, 13. Dec 18, 20:45

Hi,

I have the very same issue with my pedals - only using a Z axis (HID).
VKB-Sim T-Rudder PID=011D VID=231D

My other devices are correctly identified and available in the menus.
My problem is that knowing a device using any Z axis is not identified (no X and Y), it wouldn't be practical to change the HID for the axis every time I play X4.
A fix would be greatly appreciated ;)

----
Thanks for forwarding the info to the team CBJ.
/// ВКБ: Black Mamba MkIII/Gladiator/T-Rudder MkII | X-55 Rhino throttle | OpenTrack+UTC /// ZULU +4 ///
/// "THE T3ASE": i9 9900K | 64 GB DDR4 Trident Z | RTX 2080ti OC | 2 TB NVMe SSDs, 1 TB SATA SSD, 8 TB HDDs | Gigabyte DESIGNARE mobo ///

rrohde
x4

Post by rrohde » Thu, 13. Dec 18, 21:52

Ok, I seem to have fixed it:

I poked around the Windows registry, and noticed that my BRD pedals were the only ones that didn't have an "OEMData" entry, so I created it, copied and pasted the binary key from another, long gone joystick whose entry was still in the registry, and voila, it works in X4. As per the screenshot, no idea why the pedals are found twice, but I am not complaining (edit: seems to find it twice because I "stole" that OEMData binary value from another controller that doesn't physically exist anymore, but now references two devices within the registry).

Devs, how come that other simulations didn't have that issue? Do you base your joystick-finding logic on the OEMData values in the registry? Maybe that needs to change (other simulations, like DCS, IL-2, etc never had an issue finding these pedals).

Oh, I've also changed the axis from Z to X, not sure if that matters in the end. (edit: didn't matter, changed it back to Z and still works)
Last edited by rrohde on Fri, 14. Dec 18, 02:42, edited 1 time in total.

Buzzark
x3

Post by Buzzark » Fri, 14. Dec 18, 01:54

Some interesting developments there!

I've been building custom controllers for people (simmers and gamers) on and off for many years and haven't heard the missing X and Y theory before - though given my BU0836A Interface fits that bill (it does work everywhere else though, just to be clear) then it's a possibility.

I should be able to find some time to re-wire this controller tomorrow to switch a couple of the declared axis to X and Y and see if that suddenly brings them into play. Obviously that's not a fix for many others, but if true then I'm sure it'll help with solution development.

I'll also have a look at the registry settings.

Just for reference the BU0836A is a joystick/input/buttonbox controller made by Leo Bodnar often used in the simulation world and I guess for many other things that require analogue or button inputs. It's fully supported in windows with built-in drivers and usually just works. I say usually, because this is the first time I've heard of one not being available to a game. :wink:

UthervL
x4

Post by UthervL » Fri, 14. Dec 18, 15:48

rrohde wrote:
Thu, 13. Dec 18, 21:52
Ok, I seem to have fixed it:

I poked around the Windows registry, and noticed that my BRD pedals were the only ones that didn't have an "OEMData" entry, so I created it, copied and pasted the binary key from another, long gone joystick whose entry was still in the registry, and voila, it works in X4. As per the screenshot, no idea why the pedals are found twice, but I am not complaining (edit: seems to find it twice because I "stole" that OEMData binary value from another controller that doesn't physically exist anymore, but now references two devices within the registry).

Devs, how come that other simulations didn't have that issue? Do you base your joystick-finding logic on the OEMData values in the registry? Maybe that needs to change (other simulations, like DCS, IL-2, etc never had an issue finding these pedals).

Oh, I've also changed the axis from Z to X, not sure if that matters in the end. (edit: didn't matter, changed it back to Z and still works)

Can you post a detailed procedure of how you created this file?

Buzzark
x3

Post by Buzzark » Fri, 14. Dec 18, 16:15

Buzzark wrote:
Fri, 14. Dec 18, 01:54
Some interesting developments there!

I've been building custom controllers for people (simmers and gamers) on and off for many years and haven't heard the missing X and Y theory before - though given my BU0836A Interface fits that bill (it does work everywhere else though, just to be clear) then it's a possibility.

I should be able to find some time to re-wire this controller tomorrow to switch a couple of the declared axis to X and Y and see if that suddenly brings them into play. Obviously that's not a fix for many others, but if true then I'm sure it'll help with solution development.

I'll also have a look at the registry settings.

Just for reference the BU0836A is a joystick/input/buttonbox controller made by Leo Bodnar often used in the simulation world and I guess for many other things that require analogue or button inputs. It's fully supported in windows with built-in drivers and usually just works. I say usually, because this is the first time I've heard of one not being available to a game. :wink:
I can confirm not having the X-axis and Y-axis inputs prevents X4 seeing a device/controller. I took apart my controller today and wired an extra mini joystick onto the X-axis and Y-axis inputs which then activated allowed X4 to see the controller and all the other inputs on this device. All buttons and other joysticks are programmable now and the device is listed in the Manage controllers/joysticks panel.

I would conclude that there is likely some sort of filtering in X4 that looks for devices as controllers or joysticks based on the presence of the X & Y axis. However, there's a lot of simulator gear and custom builds out there that simply don't operate like that.

My solution obviously isn't going to fix it for anyone that doesn't have equipment they can modify, but should help pinpoint the issue in the code of the game. Thanks to rrohde for providing the information. :)

rrohde
x4

Post by rrohde » Fri, 14. Dec 18, 16:50

@Buzzark - that's great that you were able to confirm that.

That would also explain why Bourrinopathe above would not see his VKB T-Rudders in-game, because it only has one axis (Z). In my case, my BRD rudders have 3 axes, one was called Z, the other two Ry and Rx. Other players should check their device axes names as well here.

And you're right - devices can have many axes, some of which may be called X/Y, however, others might not and might call theirs Slider1, Rotary1, etc. So, as Egosoft is still new in supporting multiple Joysticks/Throttles/Pedals, they really need to do what pretty much every simulation game developer does and allow the game to find any and all devices (regardless of axes naming conventions), and let the user tweak them.

My registry hack was unique then in the sense that I believe in addition to allow X4 to only "see" controllers with X/Y axes, they also might force X4 to only "see" devices with that aforementioned OEMData value within the Windows registry. Removing both "filters" (as Buzzark coined them) should alleviate the problem for most players whose devices are currently not found by the game.

NB: Elite Dangerous, DCS, IL-2, and countless other simulation games had no problem finding any and all of my devices without having to hack the registry or without having to rename axes.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Fri, 14. Dec 18, 17:06

Please don't jump to conclusions. The game does have code to recognise devices with RX/RY/RZ and numbered Slider axes, and doesn't look for "OEMData". Clearly something isn't working as intended, but there are many possible reasons for that which don't involve programmers making silly assumptions. By all means look for workarounds, but leave it at that until the developer concerned has had a chance to look into it.

rrohde
x4

Post by rrohde » Fri, 14. Dec 18, 17:10

Good point CBJ. We can only speculate from our points of views here, as we don't see the big picture from a developer standpoint - totally agreed here. But as human nature has it, we also want to conclude our findings within our own limited means to make sense of it. Once you guys find the issue and fix it, it will be all good, and fumbling and trying and doing from our end will be forgotten. :)

Thanks for the feedback!

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Fri, 14. Dec 18, 17:13

Don't get me wrong. The investigation into which information does and doesn't cause a device to be detected is interesting and could prove useful. It's the assumptions about why that are less helpful. :)

Buzzark
x3

Post by Buzzark » Fri, 14. Dec 18, 18:45

CBJ wrote:
Fri, 14. Dec 18, 17:06
Please don't jump to conclusions. The game does have code to recognise devices with RX/RY/RZ and numbered Slider axes, and doesn't look for "OEMData". Clearly something isn't working as intended, but there are many possible reasons for that which don't involve programmers making silly assumptions. By all means look for workarounds, but leave it at that until the developer concerned has had a chance to look into it.
That's why I said "likely some sort of filtering". :wink: Might not be the case but even if it's a bug/unintended consequence an not intentional we seem to have the following condition - X and Y axis present = controller detected in X4, not present = not detected.

I'm onto the next control issue now, I've finally had a bit of a play today and found that while I can use my controller now I can't steer with mouse and roll with a controller. Rolling cuts off the mouse steering mode. :roll:

Bernd
Site Admin
Site Admin
x4

Post by Bernd » Sun, 23. Dec 18, 18:07

Hi,

I am not the expert on this problem, (DocAce is), but can those affected please check how their steam client is set up in regards to controller mapping? I have heard from several users that could fix controller issues by turning this off in Steam

-Bernd
---
-Bernd Lehahn, bernd@egosoft.com

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”