1.32 BUG X4 does not find all controllers. How to fix this?

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Re: 1.32 BUG X4 does not find all controllers. How to fix this?

Post by CBJ » Fri, 14. Dec 18, 17:06

Please don't jump to conclusions. The game does have code to recognise devices with RX/RY/RZ and numbered Slider axes, and doesn't look for "OEMData". Clearly something isn't working as intended, but there are many possible reasons for that which don't involve programmers making silly assumptions. By all means look for workarounds, but leave it at that until the developer concerned has had a chance to look into it.

rrohde
x4

Post by rrohde » Fri, 14. Dec 18, 17:10

Good point CBJ. We can only speculate from our points of views here, as we don't see the big picture from a developer standpoint - totally agreed here. But as human nature has it, we also want to conclude our findings within our own limited means to make sense of it. Once you guys find the issue and fix it, it will be all good, and fumbling and trying and doing from our end will be forgotten. :)

Thanks for the feedback!
PC: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz @ 5.1GHz | MSI GTX 1080 TI | ASUS Maximus IX Hero | 32GB DDR4 RAM | 512GB Samsung 850 PRO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit | Oculus Rift CV1 | Jetseat 908 | Monstertech MTX Sim Rig | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.II w/ MCG PRO

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Fri, 14. Dec 18, 17:13

Don't get me wrong. The investigation into which information does and doesn't cause a device to be detected is interesting and could prove useful. It's the assumptions about why that are less helpful. :)

Buzzark
x3

Post by Buzzark » Fri, 14. Dec 18, 18:45

CBJ wrote:
Fri, 14. Dec 18, 17:06
Please don't jump to conclusions. The game does have code to recognise devices with RX/RY/RZ and numbered Slider axes, and doesn't look for "OEMData". Clearly something isn't working as intended, but there are many possible reasons for that which don't involve programmers making silly assumptions. By all means look for workarounds, but leave it at that until the developer concerned has had a chance to look into it.
That's why I said "likely some sort of filtering". :wink: Might not be the case but even if it's a bug/unintended consequence an not intentional we seem to have the following condition - X and Y axis present = controller detected in X4, not present = not detected.

I'm onto the next control issue now, I've finally had a bit of a play today and found that while I can use my controller now I can't steer with mouse and roll with a controller. Rolling cuts off the mouse steering mode. :roll:

Bernd
Site Admin
Site Admin
x4

Post by Bernd » Sun, 23. Dec 18, 18:07

Hi,

I am not the expert on this problem, (DocAce is), but can those affected please check how their steam client is set up in regards to controller mapping? I have heard from several users that could fix controller issues by turning this off in Steam

-Bernd
---
-Bernd Lehahn, bernd@egosoft.com

Bourrinopathe
x4

Post by Bourrinopathe » Mon, 4. Mar 19, 07:00

Bumping the thread as I managed to find a workaround to make the VKB-Sim T-Rudder visible in X4 (as the issue has not been fixed (2.10 beta)).

I can also confirm that having X and Y makes the device visible in the controllers list in X4 :
(it doesn't seem to be a Steam configuration issue in my case)

VKB-Sim Tiny Box is the T-Rudder controller name and appears as such in any other software/game.
http://tof.cx/images/2019/03/04/2b1848d ... 8892a8.jpg

I configured fake X and Y axes using the VKB Device Config software.

http://tof.cx/images/2019/03/04/0511b96 ... 517638.jpg

So they're not physically functional but only declared in the logical layer and thus detected by X4.
The Z axis of the pedals can now be correctly assigned in the controls.

For reference, here's what I see in my Steam General Controller Settings:

http://tof.cx/images/2019/03/04/b9b1625 ... d3fb43.jpg

(also please note that I switch some control devices on or off as required using a USB HUB - the T-Rudder pedals are directly connected to the PC in that particular case)

{Images posted directly to the forums should not be greater than 640x480 or 100kb, oversize image now linked - Terre}
/// ВКБ: Black Mamba MkIII/Gladiator/T-Rudder MkII | X-55 Rhino throttle | OpenTrack+UTC /// ZULU +4 ///
/// "THE T3ASE": i9 9900K | 64 GB DDR4 Trident Z | RTX 2080ti OC | 2 TB NVMe SSDs, 1 TB SATA SSD, 8 TB HDDs | Gigabyte DESIGNARE mobo ///

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 4. Mar 19, 12:22

Thank you. I have added a link to the above in the 'Common Problems with Possible Workarounds' Sticky.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Lilting Banshee
x4

Post by Lilting Banshee » Fri, 20. Nov 20, 11:42

hello,

i'm not sure if this problem was ever resolved, but i'm having a similar issue. i have several input controllers connected (all USB):
  • Logitech X56 throttle
  • VKB Gladiator-K joystick base with SCG grip
  • VKB T-Rudder Mk IV pedals
  • 2x Thrustmaster MFD Cougar button boxes (28 buttons each, no axes)
the throttle works fine, the stick works fine, and the pedals work fine (they're configured to appear as a slider on the joystick using the VKB software). however, the Thrustmaster MFDs don't work: they aren't listed in X4's controller list and i can't bind any of the buttons. they appear in joy.cpl and they work fine in other games (Elite, DCS, MSFS), X4 is the only game where they don't.

tested with 3.30 and 4.00 beta.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Fri, 20. Nov 20, 12:51

Could you please indicate whether you are playing under Windows or Linux? There is a completely separate issue associated with SDL under Linux that means certain repeated devices don't get listed.

Lilting Banshee
x4

Post by Lilting Banshee » Fri, 20. Nov 20, 13:25

i'm on Windows 10 (10.0.19042.610).

amenditman
x4

Post by amenditman » Sun, 22. Nov 20, 18:45

I have a Virpil Mongoost-50 throttle and am experiencing the same problem. Device not listed in X4 'Manage Controllers'.
My X4 is GOG, 3.30.

Throttle is detected by Windows.
A user on the Virpil forums shared a screenshot of his throttle being in the list.

Edit: Just checked the throtlle settings in Virpil software, there is a Z axis set, no X or Y.

Edit 2: Throttle has two dials, renamed them to X and Y axis. That got the controller to show up in game settings.

Edit 3: It works, but something changed is causing the mouse cursor to be confined to the game window, which it wasn't prior to change.

Advice for a workaround from Egosoft would be much appreciated.

DocAce
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by DocAce » Mon, 23. Nov 20, 08:42

Just to be on the safe side: if you're using Steam, could you double-check that the built-in controller mapping feature is turned off for the non-working devices?

Lilting Banshee
x4

Post by Lilting Banshee » Tue, 24. Nov 20, 11:00

in X4 properties in Steam, i have "Steam Input Per-Game Setting" set to "Forced Off" - is that the right thing?

i checked Steam's global controller settings, and the only controller it detected is the joystick. i didn't see a way to turn that off, but the stick does work fine.

BigBANGtheory
x4

Post by BigBANGtheory » Fri, 1. Jan 21, 15:52

I recently upgraded my pedals from Saitek Combat Pro to Virpil Ace 8) , and now I get the issue being described in this thread i.e. X4 stopped recognising my pedals even though they are visible in Windows 10 Control Panel :evil:

The axis names of the pedals are Z, Slider & Dial on the Virpil Ace.

Fortunately Virpil have a 'VPC Configuration Tool' if you go to the Pro setting you can change the axis names, which I did to X, Y & Z and now the pedals appear in X4. :)

So yes I would agree with previous comment that this is an issue unique to X4 and XR I didn't have this issue with Elite, Star Citizen or MS Flightsim 2020 they detected the Virpil pedals in their default setup as you would expect.

I also managed to get the Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs working by attaching them to my Thrustmaster Warthog throttle via the TARGET editor (as a combined virtual controller), again the issue is X4 not recognising the MFD as a controller in their own right (even though Windows does) something in X4 is filtering them out possibly because they have no analogue axis with the expected names.

So the good news is/was that there are work arounds BUT it shouldn't be necessary and its a right pain to setup I've spent a good 3hrs trying to figure out how to get them working.

Lilting Banshee
x4

Post by Lilting Banshee » Sun, 24. Jan 21, 08:33

since my last post i've changed my joystick, and the VKB rudder pedals are no longer an axis on the stick. instead they have their own device with an RX axis (only). as expected, they stopped working in X4 until i went into the VKB software to change the axis from RX to X. this is with 4.00 Beta (422687).

i've also added another device, a Winwing Combat Ready Panel, which is another USB button box. this one does have two axes, but because they're RX and RY, the device doesn't show up in X4.

i guess this issue is low priority since it's only affecting a fairly small number of users with unusual hardware, but it is a bit irritating :-/

LazzySeal

Post by LazzySeal » Tue, 30. Mar 21, 19:38

How come this ,critical, as I think, issue for a space sim, was not fixed for ~2 years?

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Tue, 30. Mar 21, 21:09

Various issues associated with controller recognition have been fixed, so without knowing exactly what devices you have and what isn't being recognised, we're not going to be able to help you.

Since this thread is extremely outdated, I'm going to lock it and ask you to start your own thread, providing the information requested at the top of the forum as well as details of your devices and what you've tried. :)

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”