i crashed and my save is gone!

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

AnimeDan
x4

i crashed and my save is gone!

Post by AnimeDan » Sun, 9. Dec 18, 18:26

i crashed and my saved game is gone where is it?

i have notest that when i looked in documents the x4 folder wasent there but it was in onedrive so i moved it from onedrive documents to C:\Users\****\Documents

and it shoews back up in the game, but why did that crash delete the folder?

wait i notest that all my programs has switched to using onedrive as the default save location insted of my regular documents beginning around October 20 2017 what happend and that still leaves the question why did i had to move my save over to regular documents so i can use it again
Last edited by AnimeDan on Sun, 9. Dec 18, 18:57, edited 2 times in total.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: i crashed and my save is gone!

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 9. Dec 18, 18:40

Do you have Steam cloud backup enabled, and did you tell it where you had moved the saves to? Is it possible that the cloud is replacing your saves with something bugged from the crash? Just guesses and theories mind.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

AnimeDan
x4

Post by AnimeDan » Sun, 9. Dec 18, 18:50

ya steam cloud is enabled but i dident change my save location thoue i just moved it over just now so i can continue playing my save after the crash

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 9. Dec 18, 19:38

So where was Steam Cloud Backup told to backup from and where to restore your saves to, and how did your saves get into OneDrive rather than in Documents anyway? I'm rather confused as to what the problem really is.

It sounds to me as if you have two different cloud backup applications operating on the very same files at the same time - OneDrive and Steam Cloud - so no wonder things get confusing and confused.

Could you have accidentally done a 'Move' of the saves when you thought you were doing a 'Copy''?

nightphreak
x4

Post by nightphreak » Sun, 9. Dec 18, 19:45

unsure as to if you actually resolved this issue yourself because your last post was a bit confusing
ya steam cloud is enabled but i dident change my save location thoue i just moved it over just now so i can continue playing my save after the crash
you didn't change save location but you moved the save? maybe anyway, default save location is C:\Users\~\Documents\Egosoft\X4\*****\save i try to make daily backups of my saves outside of steam backup to ensure that I will be able to keep a good save in case of file corruption.
Last edited by nightphreak on Sun, 9. Dec 18, 22:17, edited 1 time in total.

AnimeDan
x4

Post by AnimeDan » Sun, 9. Dec 18, 19:48

it seems that any new saves i make is automaticaly beig saved to onedrive and not C:\Users\*****\Documents

and when i said i moved the save over, i moved it over to play my save again, because the crash made the game not recognize my save it just said "new game" after i rebooted the game back up from the crash

and i have no idea where to even find out where steam cloud is saving too i coudent find it in steam settings it doset show where the cloud is storeign things and putting them at
Last edited by AnimeDan on Sun, 9. Dec 18, 19:51, edited 2 times in total.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 9. Dec 18, 19:50

Then somehow OneDrive has been told to move files, and not to copy/backup them and put them back only if they are missing.

That said, you still have a potential duplication and conflict issue if Steam Cloud Backup is active on those files as well. Steam would be looking in Your Documents for the relevant Egosoft sub-folder for your saves and profiles etc.

AnimeDan
x4

Post by AnimeDan » Sun, 9. Dec 18, 19:53

i checked the save i copied over to C:\Users\******\Documents and it still has he same date posted when i moved it over only the onedrive copy is being dated to the exact time i clicked the save button

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 9. Dec 18, 19:59

OK, I think the gist of this is as follows:

OneDrive is at least backing up your saves but not putting them back when missing.

Steam Cloud is doing nothing at the moment - either because it sees no saves or because it is looking in the wrong place.

Something - accident or application error caused your save folder or saves (profiles too?) to be deleted.

So if you start a fresh game and save a few times in different slots, does anything work to back them up now and do they stay where you put them? Can you load them in-game?

AnimeDan
x4

Post by AnimeDan » Sun, 9. Dec 18, 20:01

and by onedrive i mean the onedrive folder location cause its still there even after unlinking my pc the folder location is still there and being treaded as the default folder for the folders in there like documents folder pictures etc

i have not yet tried a new game as i said i got my save to be back up and running after i copied it over should i try a new game and start in a differnt save slot?

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 9. Dec 18, 20:04

Or save a few times from the existing save in different slots - it is just a test to see what your set up is doing now and what backup and reloading is working. BTW, if your default save folder is now in OneDrive then Steam Cloud will not see that and so is not working for you.

AnimeDan
x4

Post by AnimeDan » Sun, 9. Dec 18, 20:21

it seems to have switched to that folder sometime in october 20th 2017 last year probly with a windows update how do i change it back?

when i made a new save slot, it shows both save 1 and save 2 in the C:\Users\*username*\OneDrive\Documents\Egosoft\X4\********\save

but only save 1 in the C:\Users\*username*\Documents\Egosoft\X4\********\save

nightphreak
x4

Post by nightphreak » Sun, 9. Dec 18, 20:56

this might be an issue with Onedrive and not X4

AnimeDan
x4

Post by AnimeDan » Sun, 9. Dec 18, 21:00

1 of you guys try saving and see where it goes? using windows 10 x64 pro

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 9. Dec 18, 21:05

There's not much point. It will go to Documents by default where Steam can also see it - unless the user has changed something, such as setting up OneDrive to do things with perhaps unanticipated results.

BTW: I've edited your post to remove your Steam Game-User ID references.

AnimeDan
x4

Post by AnimeDan » Sun, 9. Dec 18, 22:52

well i moved everything back to the regular folders and turnd off onedrive, to avoid confusions in the future i just hope i dont get the same crash where it dident show my save in the game again

I've failed to mention that when the crash happened my browser automatically opened this site https://www.egosoft.com:8443/jira/browse/X4-11

nightphreak
x4

Post by nightphreak » Sun, 9. Dec 18, 23:50

How to disable or uninstall OneDrive on Windows 10

Press the Windows key + R shortcut to open the Run command window.
Type in gpedit.msc.
Click the OK button.
Click on the Administrative Templates folder.
Double-click on the Windows Components folder.
Double-click on the OneDrive folder.
Double-click on Prevent the usage of OneDrive for file storage.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”