BUG 1.5 Ships not obeying their default response

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

pref
x4

BUG 1.5 Ships not obeying their default response

Post by pref » Sun, 20. Jan 19, 19:53

My ships keep dropping their cargo on police interdiction, even though their setting is escape.
Pretty annoying to loose millions due to this repeatedly.

Global setting is comply, but some of my ships have escape set, still they drop their full cargo.
Am i missing something or it's a plain bug?

Buzz2005
x4

Re: BUG 1.5 Ships not obeying their default response

Post by Buzz2005 » Mon, 21. Jan 19, 14:30

guess the bug is they always use global even when you setup individually to escape
Fixed ships getting spawned away from ship configuration menu at resupply ships from automatically getting deployables.

Gnorog
x4

Post by Gnorog » Mon, 21. Jan 19, 15:32

I can confirm this bug. Lost tons of spacefuel...

It was already reported a few times, but I haven't seen any dev response.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 21. Jan 19, 16:46

The devs say that individual ship settings should always override global settings where they contradict. Therefore this behaviour is a bug and if you want it fixed then a vanilla save for the devs that can reliably demonstrate this behaviour would be most appreciated.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Gnorog
x4

Post by Gnorog » Mon, 21. Jan 19, 17:33

Alan Phipps wrote:
Mon, 21. Jan 19, 16:46
The devs say that individual ship settings should always override global settings where they contradict. Therefore this behaviour is a bug and if you want it fixed then a vanilla save for the devs that can reliably demonstrate this behaviour would be most appreciated.
Vanilla I can confirm. I don't know how a save is helpful because police interdictions are random and it would be a lucky coincidence to have a save where this error occurs just after saving.
As I have never seen the "override" to work at all, devs should be able to reproduce this bug with their own saves.

"...if you want it fixed..."
That seems to be a common misunderstanding. I don't want the bug fixed. We are helping Egosoft to fix their product. If they want to get additional data therefore it would be appropriate if they would provide an email address or cloudspace for this data.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 21. Jan 19, 18:00

A vanilla save of carrying illegal cargo in a location of known high police attention would be fine. The devs don't have the luxury of time to just play the game until such a situation is set up, and the use of cheats to get there often has unintended consequences that makes the chances of a fix more risky.

Gnorog
x4

Post by Gnorog » Mon, 21. Jan 19, 19:41

Alan Phipps wrote:
Mon, 21. Jan 19, 18:00
A vanilla save of carrying illegal cargo in a location of known high police attention would be fine. The devs don't have the luxury of time to just play the game until such a situation is set up, and the use of cheats to get there often has unintended consequences that makes the chances of a fix more risky.
Ok, I have prepared a save (used the luxury of my time) that should be helpful to repro a few bugs:
- bug in thread title
- my drugdealers get stuck because there remains maja dust in their cargohold (black marketeer bug??)
- ships still attacking no longer existing buildstorage

Where can I upload the save (vers. 1.6b2) with further description where to find the problems?

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 21. Jan 19, 21:04

The Announcement at the top of this forum tells you how. Or you could even use the public beta forum and do the same there.

Gnorog
x4

Post by Gnorog » Mon, 21. Jan 19, 23:44

Alan Phipps wrote:
Mon, 21. Jan 19, 21:04
The Announcement at the top of this forum tells you how. Or you could even use the public beta forum and do the same there.
Maybe it's a little bit late, but I don't find any email address or something like that in these posts. Attachments to forum posts are not allowed.
And sorry if I'm a little bit harsh, but no, I won't use my own cloud space or create a dropbox accout to give Egosoft the data they need for their work.

florianlt
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by florianlt » Tue, 22. Jan 19, 10:12

Alan Phipps wrote:
Thu, 29. Nov 18, 23:19
ideally you can upload the data to a reputable public fileshare site (a few examples are Google Drive, DropBox or PasteBin, etc) but please don't use sites that spam advertising or require registration for downloads.
Sorry to hear that is not an option for you. Thanks for your effort so far though.

Gnorog
x4

Post by Gnorog » Tue, 22. Jan 19, 14:51

florianlt wrote:
Tue, 22. Jan 19, 10:12
Alan Phipps wrote:
Thu, 29. Nov 18, 23:19
ideally you can upload the data to a reputable public fileshare site (a few examples are Google Drive, DropBox or PasteBin, etc) but please don't use sites that spam advertising or require registration for downloads.
Sorry to hear that is not an option for you. Thanks for your effort so far though.
Sorry to hear that that is your answer. Thanks for a long and interesting journey since X2.
I hope you'll find enough fans willing to do your work without bothering you too much.

alt3rn1ty
x4

Post by alt3rn1ty » Tue, 22. Jan 19, 17:00

Maybe this bug report topic in the Public Beta sub-forum will help ..

viewtopic.php?f=192&t=413021
Laptop Dell G15 5510 : Win 11 x64
CPU - 10th Gen' Core I7 10870H 2.2-5.0ghz, GPU - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060, VRAM 6gb GDDR5,
RAM - 32gb (2x16gb, Dual Channel mode set in BIOS) DDR4 2933mhz Kingston Fury Impact,
SSD - Kioxia M.2 NVME 512gb (System), + Samsung M.2 NVME 970 Evo Plus 1tb (Games)

:boron: Long live Queen Polypheides and may her tentacles always be supple.
Seeker of Sohnen.

pref
x4

Post by pref » Tue, 22. Jan 19, 22:29

florianlt wrote:
Tue, 22. Jan 19, 10:12
Oh such drama. Almost feels like a soap opera.. xD

Anyway i have uploaded a save to dropbox. Hope their servers will not crash because of all this data.

The ship ArgonPigsWontCatchMe (DBR-245) is set to chase an ARG Police Nova Vanguard (RWT-294) in Argon Prime, with 15k m3 of weed in its cargo. Hope my ship will catch the cop's attention this way.

When the interdiction happens do not interact with the ship's captain, choosing escape option there does make the ship escape.
I can also not say if the interdiction will happen, as it seems pretty random, also if the ship would drop the cargo every time it's told to.
If i manage to get a better save ill upload that, until then i hope this one will be of some help.

j.harshaw
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT

Post by j.harshaw » Thu, 24. Jan 19, 15:57

Thanks for the save.

First, there was a bug with the Follow order that prevented ships with that order from responding to attacks and challenges from police and pirates. That is now fixed. Fix should be in a future update.

However, i could not reproduce the reported bug with ships not doing the default response. In the provided save, global response was to comply, while ArgonPigsWontCatchMe (DBR-245) was set to escape. When the police ship it was following challenged the ship, the pilot called me, i ignored the call, and the ship proceeded to flee by boosting away. No cargo was dropped in the process.

That said, there was a bug that had player-owned ships drop cargo when fleeing. The bug was fixed in December 6, build 323811. If i remember correctly, that was released as part of version 1.50. Is it possible that you do not have the latest version, or that you have a locally modified move.flee file that doesn't have that fix? i am currently downloading the latest publicly-available beta off steam to verify if the fix is there.

EDIT: verified that the fix is indeed in 1.50 from Steam.

If anyone has a save where the bug happens or a reliable repro, please post here. In this case, even a save where a ship is already doing the wrong order would be useful. (For example, if the ship in pref's save had complied instead of fleeing.)

pref
x4

Post by pref » Thu, 24. Jan 19, 18:30

j.harshaw wrote:
Thu, 24. Jan 19, 15:57
That said, there was a bug that had player-owned ships drop cargo when fleeing. The bug was fixed in December 6, build 323811. If i remember correctly, that was released as part of version 1.50. Is it possible that you do not have the latest version, or that you have a locally modified move.flee file that doesn't have that fix? i am currently downloading the latest publicly-available beta off steam to verify if the fix is there.
Thanks for looking into this.
I have not modified anything anywhere in my game (does this mean i can locally edit my scripts without getting a modified save btw? :D ).
I'm on 1.5 - i set the game to autoupdate in steam so i have that version since it got released. Now checked the exe version too and its 1.50.0.0

Still getting this issue quite often with an AT trader - just lost 2 or 3 full cargo while making friends with a xenon shipyard and was unable to respond.

I have another save, where this ware drop occured on interdiction shortly after loading.
The ship WLAT Tern Sentinel (DEI-383) is about to dock at the PAR trading station. Upon arrival, while dock order becomes critical it got a scan and i got the red message about it dropping the cargo.
The event does not occur every time, got it once out of several attempts so a couple reloads might be necessary to reproduce it. Tried to make a save with the ship closer to the station but then it did not trigger the interdiction event in few attempts, so i just uploaded the earlier save as i don't know how/when the decision is made about interdiction.

pref
x4

Post by pref » Thu, 24. Jan 19, 23:45

Actually this ship never asks me what to do. Just tells me that the cargo has been dropped.
Sad story...

pref
x4

Post by pref » Sat, 26. Jan 19, 00:16

I set global options to escape, that ship still drops its cargo every time.

pref
x4

Post by pref » Fri, 1. Feb 19, 00:24

Another save, the same ship (WLAT Tern Sentinel, DEI-383) this time with global setting on escape dropping its cargo on police scan.

pref
x4

Post by pref » Sun, 3. Feb 19, 16:37

Don't know what has changed, but now not even the manual traders ask me what to do any more, they just tell me they dropped their cargo - nothing i can do about this, it makes trading drugs a frustration, hours and hours spent on building up the station, training the pilots, setting up everything and it's in vain.

On top of that the captains keep loosing skills, so soon i will end up with a bunch of morons who can't even execute the trade scripts.
Ridiculous.

pref
x4

Post by pref » Mon, 11. Feb 19, 21:44

This issue also causes the pilots to loose all morale points over time (as they loose some after each time they disobey the escape order due to the bug in the game), inevitably resulting in having to dump the pilot which is really painful considering the game lacks any functionality which would allow making up for the loss apart from buying ships one after another until one gets a suitable captain.

Since then i kept buying ships until i got a 3* piloting, 4* morale npc and sent him to do these drug trades.
He already lost 2 stars in morale, and i will have to just vent him as well soon - as they never gain any stars in morale just loose it, their overall skill will drop below 3* at which point they will become useless in trade.

I think uploading more saves make no sense, if i had to check this i would increase the chance for interdiction to 100% for the test duration in the relevant AIscript.

1. fix the bug with ignoring the global/their own individual setting for police interdiction
2. make it so that either they don't loose morale, or they gain as much as they can loose on every successful illegal trade because the current logic is not thought through well and causes any smugglers to become a coward pretty quickly though this activity should have the opposite effect.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”