[1.50] No methane in Nopileos' Fortune II - WAI, at least in part

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

mr.WHO
x4

[1.50] No methane in Nopileos' Fortune II - WAI, at least in part

Post by mr.WHO » Sun, 27. Jan 19, 09:35

I was under impression that when map says that there are mineral and gas deposits in Nopileos' Fortune II then it's ALL mineral and ALL gas deposits.

However I found out there is no methane in this sector.

Either add missing deposit or make map displaying more accurate data.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: [1.50] No methane in Nopileos' Fortune II

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 27. Jan 19, 11:04

Sorry, is this after or before completely scanning the zone for resources?
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Sun, 27. Jan 19, 11:09

Alan Phipps wrote:
Sun, 27. Jan 19, 11:04
After I revealed all the zone.

Mindstrip
xr

Post by Mindstrip » Sun, 27. Jan 19, 14:06

Was wondering the same a while back ago so i looked into region_definitions.xml for cluster_04_sector_001(nopileos fortune 2) and indeed there is no methane in the resource fields.

Edited it to add methane and also helium.
Had to start a new game for the changes to take effect though.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 27. Jan 19, 17:22

Please note that hacking a zone etc really does not help to resolve an issue with (or misunderstanding of) the map resource legends.

Lazerius
x4

Post by Lazerius » Sat, 9. Feb 19, 17:41

Alan Phipps wrote:
I started building stations in both NF zones expecting 2 to have all resources, based on what the map showed. Now I have a hull parts factory with no nearby methane. My own fault for not researching better.

I’ve explored out pretty far following the resource belt for hundreds of KM, and never came across any Methane, and looks like another confirmed it in the XML.

So your question makes me ask, is this intentional, or is it supposed to contain methane?

It seems logical that the developers wouldn’t want 1 zone with all resources in it, but the maps should have a resource description for every zone. Maybe something like:

Zone contains:
????
????
????
????

And once you’ve discovered it, the ???? Changes to Methane. And once you’ve used resource probes on a resource, it changes to:

Methane - (Highest concentration found)

This would give us a reason to use resource probes, as well as provide the tools to build an index of resources/concentrations discovered that can be used to help determine ideal locations for stations in mid-late game.
All your Hyperion Vanguards are belong to us.

peteran
x4

Post by peteran » Sat, 9. Feb 19, 18:16

Lazerius wrote:
Sat, 9. Feb 19, 17:41
Alan Phipps wrote:
I started building stations in both NF zones expecting 2 to have all resources, based on what the map showed. Now I have a hull parts factory with no nearby methane. My own fault for not researching better.

I’ve explored out pretty far following the resource belt for hundreds of KM, and never came across any Methane, and looks like another confirmed it in the XML.

So your question makes me ask, is this intentional, or is it supposed to contain methane?
Since this is (at least) the second time this "problem" has been reported: How doeas the map show there should be methane present since the legend only shows that there is just a gas region present? Is this just an assumption or is there something in game misleading you to believe so?
Lazerius wrote:
Sat, 9. Feb 19, 17:41
It seems logical that the developers wouldn’t want 1 zone with all resources in it, but the maps should have a resource description for every zone.

Zone contains:
????
????
????
????

And once you’ve discovered it, the ???? Changes to Methane. And once you’ve used resource probes on a resource, it changes to:

Methane - (Highest concentration found)

This would give us a reason to use resource probes, as well as provide the tools to build an index of resources/concentrations discovered that can be used to help determine ideal locations for stations in mid-late game.
There is a place where this information could be shown. Each zone already has an information page but it just shows sunlight (always 100%) under natural resources
Implementing good ways of using resource probes in game is something I look forward to. Using some sort of heat map that can be generated with resource probes is one possibility and I'm a bit partial to this approach. It does require good, automated commands though.

Lazerius
x4

Post by Lazerius » Sat, 9. Feb 19, 22:49

Since this is (at least) the second time this "problem" has been reported: How doeas the map show there should be methane present since the legend only shows that there is just a gas region present? Is this just an assumption or is there something in game misleading you to believe so?
Honestly, I’m not sure if you’re trying to be a smart ass, or it just comes natural. Regardless, you split up my post into 2 separate portions, where I clearly posted my hypothesis of the “problem”, or rather made clear my questioning of the lack thereof, in the FIRST SENTENCE of the second quote.

I did not ask you. Input on the matter (your comment on second quote) is welcome, however your approach of twisting my words and essentially mocking me is not.

Now, to answer that question, I was putting factories there regardless. I would have just placed my FIRST hull parts factory somewhere else if I knew for certain there was no Methane there. And currently, there IS no way to know that.

THATS why I posted in a several week old thread.

peteran
x4

Post by peteran » Sun, 10. Feb 19, 03:09

Lazerius wrote:
Sat, 9. Feb 19, 22:49
Honestly, I’m not sure if you’re trying to be a smart ass, or it just comes natural. Regardless, you split up my post into 2 separate portions, where I clearly posted my hypothesis of the “problem”, or rather made clear my questioning of the lack thereof, in the FIRST SENTENCE of the second quote.

I did not ask you. Input on the matter (your comment on second quote) is welcome, however your approach of twisting my words and essentially mocking me is not.

Now, to answer that question, I was putting factories there regardless. I would have just placed my FIRST hull parts factory somewhere else if I knew for certain there was no Methane there. And currently, there IS no way to know that.

Sorry about that. I see that the tone suggests I'm mocking you but English isn't my first language and a lot of my writing is in scientific journals and such. I've picked up a bad habit from there so that my writing can be very cold at times (especially if I'm writing something in a hurry).

Lazerius
x4

Post by Lazerius » Sun, 10. Feb 19, 04:13

peteran wrote:
Sun, 10. Feb 19, 03:09
Lazerius wrote:
Sat, 9. Feb 19, 22:49

Sorry about that. I see that the tone suggests I'm mocking you but English isn't my first language and a lot of my writing is in scientific journals and such. I've picked up a bad habit from there so that my writing can be very cold at times (especially if I'm writing something in a hurry).
That makes much more sense now.

I apologize if I came off as somewhat aggressive, but your use of the word “problem” somewhat put me on edge, since I never actually stated there was a problem, and clearly stated it was my own fault for not checking.

I was just respectfully asking for clarification from the moderator, as well as bringing up ideas for improvement to cover multiple lacking features if what I asked wasn’t the case.

You did provide great feedback on the topic of lacking features, which is why you received a respectful response... even after being a “smart ass”. 🤣

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 10. Feb 19, 14:02

OK, I'll try to sum this up into something that I can ask the devs about.

Firstly the issue reported is that the map's legend for a zone can declare that there are are solid and gas resource types in that zone, but not necessarily what various resources those actually comprise. It is unknown if this is a bug or working as intended.

The OP assumed that legend meant that all possible resources were present but that has been proved not to be the case in practice.

Secondly, the OP 'suggests' that the game needs to do better than that and somehow identify each of the resources present somewhere/somehow in the UI when appropriate.

I asked if this situation was after a total resource scan of the entire zone and the reply was that the entire zone had been 'revealed'; I an unsure if that is a full reply to my question as no mention is made of having used resource probes nor of 3D and range limits. Subsequent investigation of the game code and data confirmed that one type of resource was indeed not present anywhere in that zone.

Is that an accurate summary?

peteran
x4

Post by peteran » Sun, 10. Feb 19, 14:24

That sounds like an accurate and concise summary.

florianlt
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by florianlt » Mon, 11. Feb 19, 16:16

Alan Phipps wrote:
Sun, 10. Feb 19, 14:02
Firstly the issue reported is that the map's legend for a zone can declare that there are are solid and gas resource types in that zone, but not necessarily what various resources those actually comprise. It is unknown if this is a bug or working as intended.
WAI
Alan Phipps wrote:
The OP assumed that legend meant that all possible resources were present but that has been proved not to be the case in practice.
Correct
Alan Phipps wrote:
Secondly, the OP 'suggests' that the game needs to do better than that and somehow identify each of the resources present somewhere/somehow in the UI when appropriate.
I forwarded this question to another dev.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Mon, 11. Feb 19, 18:55

florianlt wrote:
Mon, 11. Feb 19, 16:16
Alan Phipps wrote:
I forwarded this question to another dev.
Yes - my main problem is that I assume that map showing gas/mineral automatically mean all gas and all mineral types are avaliable in that sector.
As this in not true then some kind of detailed information on what gas and what mineral reseources are available is essential.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: [1.50] No methane in Nopileos' Fortune II - WAI, at least in part

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 11. Feb 19, 21:39

IMHO it should also take some significant effort on behalf of the player to find out what all those resources are - eg comprehensive 3D zone exploration and scans with use of resource probes before that listing is populated fully. Certainly so in the case of the less well populated/visited zones at least. Still, that is not a Tech Sp forum aspect.

Kintanar
x4

Re: [1.50] No methane in Nopileos' Fortune II - WAI, at least in part

Post by Kintanar » Tue, 12. Feb 19, 00:05

I have never seen that the map reports which resources are in a sector, it only show red, blue, purple zones, which means there are mineral, gas or a mix of gas and mineral, but has never shown which type of minerals and gases. As a difference with other games, like the last one X:Rebirth, the map showed in percentages the amount and type of resources, which dont give any incentive for prospection or use of probes. I never assumed that the purple equals "all resources", only as its stated in the legend of the map: some unknown type of minerals and gases, then there is other activity that I can do in the game: prospection. Either use a remote commanded ship or by my self, seed the sector with probes, even recover the ones which are not reporting nothing and keep the ones reporting, so now i know where to send my ships to mine.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”