Linux Support (Beta)

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Rastuasi
x4

Re: Linux Support (Beta)

Post by Rastuasi » Tue, 11. Aug 20, 17:39

ezra-r wrote:
Tue, 11. Aug 20, 12:29
So Linux version working now better? I remember it would get degradated performance quickly before 3.20 after a while playing.
This has never been an issue with me, guessing it is your setup and not the game's code that's causing this.

KayEss
x4

Post by KayEss » Wed, 12. Aug 20, 07:50

daifuco wrote:
Fri, 17. Jul 20, 14:26
Hi, maybe the question is out of the scope of this thread, but... has anyone managed to run the game with Freesync? I guess the option is Adaptive sync but it appears grayed out in my settings.
Adaptive sync worked fine for me (NVIDIA) with the 440 drivers, but with the 450.57 drivers it doesn't seem to be working any more. Unless your monitor isn't certified you have to turn it on in the nvidia-settings, but there is an overlay option to tell you if it's on or not when things are running.

laymans
x3

Post by laymans » Fri, 28. Aug 20, 00:29

Hey all,

I just came back to the forum after being gone for a few years. I saw the first page of this thread and read that in 2019 Egosoft was going to release a native Linux version of X? I have not read through all 31 pages of replies but can someone save me some time and tell me which versions of X do have a Linux native edition? Is it X4 only or will past versions be retrofitted?

Thanks, Egosoft for going this direction! I'm so excited! :D

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Fri, 28. Aug 20, 01:09

Many of our games are available for Linux - X3: Reunion, X3: Terran Conflict, X3: Albion Prelude, X Rebirth and X4: Foundations.

Rastuasi
x4

Post by Rastuasi » Fri, 28. Aug 20, 01:27

Lol yeah this thread has just been for X4 as it usually takes about a year to get the version made. X4 I believe was the fastest Linux release ever, mostly due to converting to Vulkan. I've played all versions of X on Linux. The only issue you may have are some mods that are designed to work in windows only thanks to how the modders did things. Thankfully though, all the good mods are fully compatible and those devs do help with any necessary debugging.

AndyCampbell
x4

Post by AndyCampbell » Thu, 3. Sep 20, 23:24

Hi Guys, I just want to add to the previous comments - I am super happy with X4 running on Linux!

I am running on Fedora + Steam + Nvidia proprietary drivers and everything works out of the box. Performance is good and the graphics look great. The only issue I have had was with logging into my egosoft account from inside the game to enable Ventures. The solution with the ssl certificate path in an earlier post on this thread (thanks andrewpc) fixed that for me.

Thanks Panos for the optimisation tips!

Thanks Egosoft for supporting the Linux platform! :D

sgtnasty
x4

Post by sgtnasty » Fri, 4. Sep 20, 00:20

Well, it works on my main PC using Arch and KDE, but my ThinkPad laptop (also Arch KDE) it does not launch.

EDIT: Correction

X4 now works on both my PC and my ThinkPad X1 extreme (both running Arch and KDE).

Thanks for working hard on this. I am now able to play while on all my devices.

wasted90
x4

Post by wasted90 » Thu, 10. Sep 20, 01:51

Hello, after a longer break (some months) i wanted to start playing again, but i have the issue that i can't log into my egosoft account in game. I remember it worked fine before.

i get following errors in the games logfile:

Code: Select all

Logfile started, time Thu Sep 10 01:21:12 2020
[General] 0.00 'GeForce GTX 1050 Ti' NVIDIA-driver v450.66.0 (Vulkan 1.2.133) check=1
[General] 0.00 Starting new game using gamestart 'startmenu' in 3.30
[General] 232.94 ======================================
[=ERROR=] 232.94 curl_easy_perform() failed: Couldn't resolve host name
[=ERROR=] 232.94 VentureTracker::OnError(): function 'login' returned 'ERR_CONNECT_FAILED'
i've read the post from andrewpc about the issue he had and that the problem was the new path from the certificates on opensuse.
i'm on arch and my certs are still in /etc/ssl/certs/ so i assume that this is not the same issue, or am i confusing something?
thanks

================
SOLUTION UPDATE:
i had forced the use of the 'steam linux runtime' (mostly to avoid compatibility issues), but the sandboxing/chroot or whatever that comes with it messed up curl and lead to my issue.
disabling steam 'linux runtime' will fix it. (right-click x4 in steam library -> properties -> disable 'force the use of a specific steam play compatibilty tool')

dtpsprt
x4

Post by dtpsprt » Mon, 21. Sep 20, 10:52

I just reinstalled a partition of Linux (Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, GTX 1660Ti, NVIDIA 440 proprietary driver) and, of course installed X4. In Win10 I had a lot of customized logos in my logos folder. When I transferred them in Linux only the logos with an extension .gz were viewable, while all the others (mostly .tga) did not appear.

Anybody else encountered such a problem?

Panos
x4

Post by Panos » Mon, 28. Sep 20, 01:01

dtpsprt wrote:
Mon, 21. Sep 20, 10:52
I just reinstalled a partition of Linux (Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, GTX 1660Ti, NVIDIA 440 proprietary driver) and, of course installed X4. In Win10 I had a lot of customized logos in my logos folder. When I transferred them in Linux only the logos with an extension .gz were viewable, while all the others (mostly .tga) did not appear.

Anybody else encountered such a problem?
Did you copied them over from the windows folders also?

dtpsprt
x4

Post by dtpsprt » Mon, 28. Sep 20, 01:39

Panos wrote:
Mon, 28. Sep 20, 01:01

Did you copied them over from the windows folders also?
Yes.... .png and (mostly) .tga files. I can see them, edit them with Gimp but they remain empty squares for X4. The only ones that work are some .tga.gz (!!!) comprressed tga's that, if I decompress become blank squares too

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Mon, 28. Sep 20, 09:08

With the case-sensitivity in filenames under Linux, it's possible that the Linux version is fussier about filenames for the logos as well (and yes, there may be differences in behaviour between zipped and unzipped files). Try making your TGA filenames all-lowercase if they're not already.

dtpsprt
x4

Post by dtpsprt » Mon, 28. Sep 20, 10:47

CBJ wrote:
Mon, 28. Sep 20, 09:08
With the case-sensitivity in filenames under Linux, it's possible that the Linux version is fussier about filenames for the logos as well (and yes, there may be differences in behaviour between zipped and unzipped files). Try making your TGA filenames all-lowercase if they're not already.
It worked!!! Thanks a lot

Panos
x4

Post by Panos » Fri, 2. Oct 20, 12:22

CBJ wrote:
Mon, 25. Feb 19, 18:00
Currently we only support SteamOS and Ubuntu 18.04.
At the moment only the proprietary driver from nvidia and the open-source mesa/radv amd drivers are supported.

Known issues and missing features:
[*]Graphical glitches on lockboxes and jumpgates on radv

a) Manjaro on all it's versions (XFCE, Gnome, KDE) support X4 without issue for months now, make sure use latest version ofc.
Just install Steam form the package manager, login and install game.

Use distro package manager to install gamemode, no need to build from git.

Add the following to the game launch options to resolve alt tab etc even on full screen mode.
(right click the game -> Properties -> General Tab -> Set launch options).

SDL_VIDEO_MINIMIZE_ON_FOCUS_LOSS=0 gamemoderun %command%
Click the Play button from Steam.

b) On graphical glitches with RADV.

Using the package managers of your distro (or not).
[*] Remove AMDGPU and AMDGPUPRO drivers (not installed by default on Manjaro). If they are existing in system, reboot after removal. (make sure the file in XORG Conf for AMD drivers is removed)
[*] Use MESA 20.2 or latest mesa-git (20.3dev as I write this) as it supports ACO by default from version 20.2. So no need to change environmental variables.
[*] 20.3 Fixes a lot of frame jumping etc.

The "Graphical glitches on lockboxes and jumpgates on radv" is been resolved.

Chocrates

Post by Chocrates » Sat, 17. Oct 20, 23:24

Hey All,

New issue with X4. It was working flawlessly earlier this week and inexplicably it stopped.

Running Ubuntu 20.04. AMD Drivers. When I start the game, the game window opens but remains black. I have left it for over an hour with no changes.
I have tried reinstalling Ubuntu (I was long overdue for this), updating the open source Radeon drivers to the newest with a PPA, reinstalling X4, wiping out the config.xml, replacing config.xml with the "safe" one. (It was for x3 I think but it reset the it to a small windowed screen).

In between it working and it stopping, I made no changes to my configuration. I don't know if there was an X4 update since then that could have caused it.
None of the above made a difference.
Any idea on how I can debug this?

Edit: It looks like a hotfix dropped on Wednesday, that probably coincides with the issues.

Panos
x4

Post by Panos » Sun, 18. Oct 20, 00:26

Chocrates wrote:
Sat, 17. Oct 20, 23:24
Hey All,

New issue with X4. It was working flawlessly earlier this week and inexplicably it stopped.

Running Ubuntu 20.04. AMD Drivers. When I start the game, the game window opens but remains black. I have left it for over an hour with no changes.
I have tried reinstalling Ubuntu (I was long overdue for this), updating the open source Radeon drivers to the newest with a PPA, reinstalling X4, wiping out the config.xml, replacing config.xml with the "safe" one. (It was for x3 I think but it reset the it to a small windowed screen).

In between it working and it stopping, I made no changes to my configuration. I don't know if there was an X4 update since then that could have caused it.

Edit: It looks like a hotfix dropped on Wednesday, that probably coincides with the issues.
What you mean you used the X3 config?

Chocrates

Post by Chocrates » Sun, 18. Oct 20, 01:32

Panos wrote:
Sun, 18. Oct 20, 00:26
Chocrates wrote:
Hey All,

The Safe config from here https://www.egosoft.com/support/faq/faq ... version=10
Not sure if there is an equivalent for X4

Panos
x4

Post by Panos » Sun, 18. Oct 20, 02:22

Chocrates wrote:
Sun, 18. Oct 20, 01:32
Panos wrote:
Sun, 18. Oct 20, 00:26
Chocrates wrote:
Hey All,

The Safe config from here https://www.egosoft.com/support/faq/faq ... version=10
Not sure if there is an equivalent for X4
You shouldn't do such changes. These are settings from X Rebirth, ofc you will have issues if you do such things.

If you have it on steam wrote above what you have to do. Just install the game, make sure latest MESA (20.2 or better, I advice 20.3dev) and at least Kernel 5.8 are installed and use full screen mode. No file changes or anything else needed.

Chocrates

Post by Chocrates » Sun, 18. Oct 20, 03:06

Ah good point, the game won't even load enough to make video setting changes.

Edit: It is definitely the hotfix. Under Beta's I can rollback to 3.30 and it works just fine.

My glxinfo

chris@fluffie:~$ glxinfo | grep "Mesa"
client glx vendor string: Mesa Project and SGI
OpenGL core profile version string: 4.6 (Core Profile) Mesa 20.3.0-devel (git-57d3178 2020-10-17 focal-oibaf-ppa)
OpenGL version string: 4.6 (Compatibility Profile) Mesa 20.3.0-devel (git-57d3178 2020-10-17 focal-oibaf-ppa)
OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.2 Mesa 20.3.0-devel (git-57d3178 2020-10-17 focal-oibaf-ppa)

Panos
x4

Post by Panos » Sun, 18. Oct 20, 22:54

Chocrates wrote:
Sun, 18. Oct 20, 03:06
Ah good point, the game won't even load enough to make video setting changes.

Edit: It is definitely the hotfix. Under Beta's I can rollback to 3.30 and it works just fine.

My glxinfo

chris@fluffie:~$ glxinfo | grep "Mesa"
client glx vendor string: Mesa Project and SGI
OpenGL core profile version string: 4.6 (Core Profile) Mesa 20.3.0-devel (git-57d3178 2020-10-17 focal-oibaf-ppa)
OpenGL version string: 4.6 (Compatibility Profile) Mesa 20.3.0-devel (git-57d3178 2020-10-17 focal-oibaf-ppa)
OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.2 Mesa 20.3.0-devel (git-57d3178 2020-10-17 focal-oibaf-ppa)
Don't use Beta then. However on Manjaro had no issue with the Beta versions :)

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”