Linux Support (Beta)

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Imuniser
x4

Re: Linux Support (Beta)

Post by Imuniser » Thu, 7. May 20, 23:00

Will prepare a short screen capture with the mentioned system in the morning and post it here.

wasted90
x4

Post by wasted90 » Fri, 8. May 20, 01:48

NIIcK wrote:
Thu, 7. May 20, 20:52

The CPU sits at about 89 degrees C @2.8GHz (most of the time) - I'm using Tuxedo Control Center for fan speeds control and monitoring.
the cpu clock rate stays at 2,8 Ghz for all the cores while playing? make sure you display cores/threads saperately.

this could be the reason why the game isn't performing well in comparison to your other cpu since the cpu governor on laptops mostly just tries to be as powersaving as possible. you could try setting the cpu governor to performance mode (+ little test if the change got applied) and look if the game then runs better.

for setting the power sheme for the nvidia card you could also use 'nvidia-settings' (<- launch from terminal)

Imuniser
x4

Post by Imuniser » Fri, 8. May 20, 08:29

Rastuasi wrote:
Thu, 7. May 20, 21:28

Not possible, the game is setup so that it will launch with blackscreen or simply crash if under 4GB of VRAM.

We'd need to know more info about your setup though as I can run X4 on a GTX770 on a 43" 4k monitor at 45+ FPS with Medium+ settings in a modified Arch kernel. I only turn off AA and shadows.
As promised, the short video with the Windows system @2GB VRAM:

https://streamable.com/76x3mn

Imuniser
x4

Post by Imuniser » Fri, 8. May 20, 08:31

wasted90 wrote:
Fri, 8. May 20, 01:48
this could be the reason why the game isn't performing well in comparison to your other cpu since the cpu governor on laptops mostly just tries to be as powersaving as possible. you could try setting the cpu governor to performance mode (+ little test if the change got applied) and look if the game then runs better.
Thank you for the time taken to respond!

What I didn't mention on my other post regarding tweaks is that I have also set:

Code: Select all

echo "performance" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu$/cpufreq/scaling_governor
where cpu$ -> cpu0,cpu1 ...cpu11 for each CPU core (in my case 0-11) however it doesn't get changed. It defaults to powersave due to the intel_pstate driver. I've disabled it via grub and it loaded the ahcpi driver which I find it worse (couldn't change the governor with this driver either :) ).

I can clearly see the CPUs boosting to 3.9GHz when the game starts so I assume it auto-switches to performance "ondemand" (I have disabled the ondemand service as well to no avail).

Maybe one just needs a desktop to properly play the game :)

***Later edit***
Short video on cpufreq, thermals and CPU cores usage from game start until it fully loads the save (game sound can be heard on the background):

https://streamable.com/4wumyi
Last edited by Imuniser on Sat, 9. May 20, 07:24, edited 1 time in total.

wasted90
x4

Post by wasted90 » Fri, 8. May 20, 20:39

expand cpu monitoring with

Code: Select all

watch -n1 "cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep \"^[c]pu MHz\""
so u can see the frequencies of every single core and look if the core with the 100% load you see in 'Resources' gets slowed down in frequency. since u have already the tools for screencapture ready you can make a video for reviewing the measurements.

so at first it looks like thermal throttling to me but not 100% sure.

additionally you could try deactivating compositing effects and turning steam overlay off. feral gamemode is something you could also check out but i never tried it. check if the game is using the right gpu.

Imuniser
x4

Post by Imuniser » Sat, 9. May 20, 00:12

wasted90 wrote:
Thu, 7. May 20, 18:06
A (unmoddet) savegame would be helpful to ensure there's nothing going wrong inside of it.
I believe I got to the bottom of this.

It was caused by a mod (I will post a list here though I haven't tested which one of these).

The game runs smoothly now.

Disabled mods list:

- TeterTrade
- ReactionForce
- RandomSupply
- God Mode Ship and Station x4
- Fly-by-Looting
- NPCs Recovered by Gramston

I have also managed to easily manipulate the CPU governor and frequency using https://github.com/konkor/cpufreq

Thank you all for your involvement!

Best of luck!
Last edited by Imuniser on Sat, 9. May 20, 07:26, edited 3 times in total.

Rastuasi
x4

Post by Rastuasi » Sat, 9. May 20, 00:58

I use tatertrader and fly-by-looting with no issues, if that helps you narrow it down.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sat, 9. May 20, 14:50

If you want devs to take an interest in issues posted here then you really must stick to reporting problems in vanilla gameplay.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Imuniser
x4

Post by Imuniser » Sat, 9. May 20, 15:41

Alan Phipps wrote:
Sat, 9. May 20, 14:50
If you want devs to take an interest in issues posted here then you really must stick to reporting problems in vanilla gameplay.
Stating the obvious but correct nonetheless.

vanFair
x4

Post by vanFair » Mon, 11. May 20, 20:53

https://imgur.com/a/oxNksPn

Hi I've been getting the above error when I try to start the game recently. I got it before during long game-play sessions but the game would generally start right back up. Now I get it immediately when I try to start it with not way of actually getting in the game.

Imuniser
x4

Post by Imuniser » Tue, 12. May 20, 06:55

CBJ wrote:
Mon, 25. Feb 19, 18:00

Bugreporting:

Please attach screenshots & savegames for almost any issue, it'll help a lot. In case you can't or don't want to include it in the forum post, my email address is: tim13on ( on ) egosoft.com, of course remove the 13 and ( on ) is @ (hope not too many spam bots figure that out);p

If you notice anything "pink/blue/green" the best thing to do is give us a screenshot & savegame.
If you notice something looking ugly it would help a lot if you can verify it's linux specific first, then give us a screenshot & savegame.

To get a debug game log (in desktop mode) please:
  • Completely close steam
  • Open a terminal/console
  • Type in: steam -console
  • Steam should now run and redirect all of its output to that terminal/console window.
  • Launch X4 from steam, you should get output from the game to that terminal window.
You need to provide the above. I have reported a bug via e-mail and Timon actually responded.

knro

Post by knro » Fri, 15. May 20, 02:35

Good news for those who want to play with Dual Joysticks on X4 Linux version. I have Dual 16000M joysticks and was only able to see one of them inside the game. I decided to checkout libsdl from GIT and dig through the code. After a couple of hours, I came up with a patch and submitted it to libsdl that would enable the dual joysticks to appear just fine in the game.

Now playing with the dual joysticks in X4 without any issues!

If you can't wait for the patch to be applied to libsdl, you can apply it yourself.

1. Download libsdl from Github.
2. Apply the patch in the bug report posted above.
3. Run cmake and make -j8 to compile it
4. Copy the libSDL2-2.0.so.0.12.1 file to lib folder under $STEAM/steamapps/common/X4\ Foundations/lib/libSDL2-2.0.so.0

You'd probably want to make a backup first of that file in case something goes wrong.

steve_v
x4

Post by steve_v » Sat, 16. May 20, 19:27

knro wrote:
Fri, 15. May 20, 02:35
I came up with a patch and submitted it to libsdl that would enable the dual joysticks to appear just fine in the game.
Legend.
I mean, I don't actually have dual joysticks, but still. Free software FTW.

kouteiheika

Post by kouteiheika » Sat, 23. May 20, 02:37

I just bought X4, and I've encountered exactly the same annoying (and personally game-breaking) bug I had in Rebirth - when using a controller the ship sometimes keeps rotating after letting go of the analog stick. I've previously reported this in https://www.egosoft.com:8443/jira/brows ... 3D%20XRNIX, but apparently one game later it still isn't fixed. :( (Apparently the engine is the same, so it would make sense that a bug from XR is still here in X4.)

This happens on a fresh installation of the game immediately after jumping into a ship in the flight tutorial start. Steps to reproduce:

1. In Settings -> Controls -> Manage Controllers -> Set it up so that only Steam Virtual Gamepad is used.
2. Load the "Default - Controller" profile.
3. Try rotating the ship with the right analog stick, and suddenly let go of the stick. Sometimes the rotation will stop, sometimes it will keep going indefinitely. As far as I can see this is totally random. It especially likes to trigger if you quickly flick the stick to one side and let go.

I haven't thoroughly investigated it, but I'm pretty sure the root cause of this is the same as in XRNIX-67 where the game is simply randomly ignoring SDL events it's sent.

I'm really surprised no one has noticed this though; am I the only one having this issue? It can't be a hardware or an exotic software issue because I'm using an entirely different controller (a Switch Pro Controller, and I was using a PS3 controller previously), an entirely different computer (new CPU, new motherbord, new disks - everything new) and a fresh, cleanly reinstalled operating system compared with when I was playing Rebirth, and yet I'm still seeing this issue. Surely someone else is playing this game on Linux with a controller, right? Either no one is, or I'm simply cursed or something.

So, could anyone who plays this game on Linux with a controller please confirm whenever this issue happens on their system?

YorrickVander
x4

Post by YorrickVander » Sat, 30. May 20, 18:14

As much feedback as bug report since it's very low impact:

I run 2x 1080 monitors on my ageing GTX980ti and Ubuntu 20.04 installation. The game can see I have 2 monitors and shows both in the drop down to select, but they are not enumerated and selecting one or the other has no effect.

When running in Fullscreen or Fixed Window modes if I click away from the game the window vanishes and takes between 7 and 15 seconds to return. In the windows client this only happens for fullscreen. I can run fine on windowed mode but if there's a fix or workaround I'd be glad to know of it :)
X Rebirth - A Sirius Cybernetics Corporation Product

Split irritate visiting pilot with strange vocal patterns.

shmerl

Post by shmerl » Sun, 14. Jun 20, 08:24

Loading Vulkan layers bug is fixed in the latest GOG release.

shmerl

Post by shmerl » Sun, 14. Jun 20, 08:30

There is a new bug though (version 3.20).

Every time I minimize the game, restoring it causes graphics corruption and I have to kill the process to exit it.

KDE Plasma 5.17.5.
RX 5700 XT, radv (Mesa master, happens both with llvm 11 and with aco).

Is there any workaround and is it a known issue?

Another strange thing I noticed, the game loads both Vulkan and OpenGL shared libraries. Why is that happening if it's only using Vulkan?

daifuco
x4

Post by daifuco » Fri, 17. Jul 20, 14:26

Hi, maybe the question is out of the scope of this thread, but... has anyone managed to run the game with Freesync? I guess the option is Adaptive sync but it appears grayed out in my settings.

Hoborific
x4

Post by Hoborific » Tue, 28. Jul 20, 01:20

Still experiencing the issue where if I tab in and out the game takes up to a minute loading what I presume is the vulkan renderer, I have tried on both KDE Plasma and Gnome (latest for both from repo), 3.20 steam

steve_v
x4

Post by steve_v » Thu, 30. Jul 20, 08:07

Anyone else having mouse cursor problems recently?

I'm seeing my OS cursor sporadically in game, appearing only when I move the mouse, guessing where it is still allows me to click elements. Can't seem to get any mouse-control in-flight. X4 custom cursor nowhere to be found.
Not sure when this first appeared, but everything was working properly just after 3.10 release. First run with 3.20, 3.10 installer gone from GOG so can't test. No system changes bar regular gentoo updates.

Gentoo amd64.
Plasma 5.18.5
Nvidia 450.57 (same result with "stable" 440.100)

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”