Linux Support (Beta)

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

fridl
x4

Re: Linux Support (Beta)

Post by fridl » Sun, 2. Feb 20, 23:29

fridl wrote:
Sun, 20. Oct 19, 21:26
Ok, thats right, the Output from ldd tells as well:

Code: Select all

> ldd X4
./X4: /usr/lib64/liblber-2.4.so.2: no version information available (required by ./X4)
./X4: /usr/lib64/libldap_r-2.4.so.2: no version information available (required by ./X4)
./X4: /usr/lib64/libssl.so.1.0.0: version `OPENSSL_1.0.1' not found (required by ./X4)
I think I have the right versions of liblder and libldap, but the wrong of libssl. Perhaps therefore there is a issue with the other two libs as well. So I also hope for a change on egosofts side, because I can't find a place providing the "proper" libssl for my system... And I'm not that deep in the topic :wink:
Ok, after not been able to fix this I have a promising solution, that could be added to the official trouble shooting guide. When installing steam from flatpak/flathub (i don't know if it is officially supported) I have it running under my openSUSE installation. This could be a solution for steams dependency-troubles... Could also work for other games!

wasted90
x4

Post by wasted90 » Mon, 3. Feb 20, 08:22

fridl wrote:
Sun, 2. Feb 20, 23:29
fridl wrote:
Sun, 20. Oct 19, 21:26
Ok, thats right, the Output from ldd tells as well:

Code: Select all

> ldd X4
./X4: /usr/lib64/liblber-2.4.so.2: no version information available (required by ./X4)
./X4: /usr/lib64/libldap_r-2.4.so.2: no version information available (required by ./X4)
./X4: /usr/lib64/libssl.so.1.0.0: version `OPENSSL_1.0.1' not found (required by ./X4)
I think I have the right versions of liblder and libldap, but the wrong of libssl. Perhaps therefore there is a issue with the other two libs as well. So I also hope for a change on egosofts side, because I can't find a place providing the "proper" libssl for my system... And I'm not that deep in the topic :wink:
Ok, after not been able to fix this I have a promising solution, that could be added to the official trouble shooting guide. When installing steam from flatpak/flathub (i don't know if it is officially supported) I have it running under my openSUSE installation. This could be a solution for steams dependency-troubles... Could also work for other games!
normally steam packages are shipped bundled with a runtime-environment to avoid library issues. maybe your installation of the opensuse package wasnt configured properly to use this runtime/ run with system librarys.
the arch wiki has more information on this: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/St ... am_runtime

fridl
x4

Post by fridl » Mon, 3. Feb 20, 09:19

wasted90 wrote:
Mon, 3. Feb 20, 08:22
normally steam packages are shipped bundled with a runtime-environment to avoid library issues. maybe your installation of the opensuse package wasnt configured properly to use this runtime/ run with system librarys.
the arch wiki has more information on this: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/St ... am_runtime
you may be right, i have had issues not just with x, but also with other games (not all). But I couldn't solve and tryed a lot. And I know other people have, too. Therefir this is a easy to use solution for most distros.

wasted90
x4

Post by wasted90 » Mon, 3. Feb 20, 09:30

fridl wrote:
Mon, 3. Feb 20, 09:19

you may be right, i have had issues not just with x, but also with other games (not all). But I couldn't solve and tryed a lot. And I know other people have, too. Therefir this is a easy to use solution for most distros.
Good to hear you finally found a solution :)

_JD_
x4

Post by _JD_ » Wed, 25. Mar 20, 22:13

Hi everyone, I just noticed some weird issue when I use X4 with a Joystick: very often all the scrollable menus they just reset to the top making very hard/annoying to check, for example, the reputation screen.
I wanted to check here if it's just me or if it's a common problem.

Since I'm playing the 3.0 beta branch, I opened already an issue there: viewtopic.php?f=192&t=423046

If you are experiencing the same issue could you please comment there, perhaps including some system specs, Joystick/HOTAS model and version of X4?

Rastuasi
x4

Post by Rastuasi » Wed, 25. Mar 20, 23:59

The menu glitching is not linux nor beta related, I have that happen since day one and is a known bug in X4 regardless of OS. The manage plot is not a bug, it zones in and removes the zone outline edges and only shows what's in that zone.

Lander1979
x4

Post by Lander1979 » Fri, 27. Mar 20, 09:50

Linux BETA 10 Temporary Workaround.
Allows the Beta 10 to be launched on Linux.
Also makes both TM16000M flightsticks work.
Step 1.
Open settings on the steam launcher and force compatability mode to the latest Proton release(version 5.something).

Step 2.
Launch the game and start a new game to test whether everything is working. Then exit to Desktop.

Step 3.
Copy ~/YourUserName/.config/EgoSoft/X4/########/save to; ~/YourUserName/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/######/pfx/dosdevices/c:/users/steamuser/My Documents/Egosoft/X4/########/
Launch the game.

Step 4.
Profit.
0101...0011...0011...0101...2!

steve_v
x4

Post by steve_v » Fri, 27. Mar 20, 16:56

Lander1979 wrote:
Fri, 27. Mar 20, 09:50
Open settings on the steam launcher and force compatability mode to the latest Proton release(version 5.something).
By which you mean run the windows build in wine/proton. Not really a workaround WRT the GNU/Linux, because by setting "compatibility mode" to proton you're no longer running the GNU/Linux build at all.

"GNU/Linux build is broken with B10."
"Run the Windows build, it's a workaround!"
"Yeah, thanks but no thanks."

Lander1979
x4

Post by Lander1979 » Sat, 28. Mar 20, 03:51

The difference between the two versions is a 14mb patch so technically it is still the same build. In any case the problem has been hotfixed.

It is still a valuable workaround for those of us who use dual TM16000M Flightsticks, which still aren't detected correctly in the Native Linux version. They work perfectly under Proton 5.0-5.

No need to try to translate what I say .. <Personal follow-on remark removed. Alan Phipps> :sceptic:
Last edited by Alan Phipps on Sat, 28. Mar 20, 13:17, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary personal remark.
0101...0011...0011...0101...2!

_JD_
x4

Post by _JD_ » Tue, 31. Mar 20, 00:07

Hey everyone, Today I released a little GUI utility to control the LEDs and MFD of a Logitech/Saitek X52 under Linux. Since soon X4: Split Vendetta will be released I thought that someone else here could be interested in it: https://gitlab.com/leinardi/gx52

The app is completely free and open source (GPLv3).

jaab-paradise
x4

Post by jaab-paradise » Tue, 31. Mar 20, 05:08

I have been looking for a no-steam executable for my linux x4-game and have only found a exe-file for the windows version, i now that Bernd said:
BerndHohmann wrote:
Wed, 20. Mar 19, 10:32

Unfortunately X4 Linux beta cannot be started without Steam running to isolate such problems.

Bernd
But is x4 still in beta sins version 2.5 :?: or will we get a no-steam linux executable only after v3.0 has got out of beta testing???
I now it is only a few ours until it gets out but i would like to play x4 some more before i upgrade to the split pack and v3.0...

And is it possible to get the raw game and install the updates one by one our self like in the good old days with the games on a dvd...
I bought the game from egosoft's web site but i would like if it came in a physical box with disk's or a memorystick with all the newest updates and dlc's ready to install...
I would love to trow money at that to with a little discount for ownership of the online-version to of course... :)

Greetings from a 12 year's x-gamer....

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 31. Mar 20, 11:23

@ jaab-paradise: Without updating to 3.00/DLC you can still play the 2.60 release version which has been out for some time now; 2.50 is very old now.

The no-steam exe is available from downloads and should be used with a copy of the Steam X4 gamefiles, but is not recommended for when you play 3.00 onwards.

The reason that Linux, GOG and betas did not work is that GOG Galaxy was needed for distributing the betas but GOG had not made Galaxy available for Linux. I hope this helps.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

jaab-paradise
x4

Post by jaab-paradise » Tue, 31. Mar 20, 13:05

Hi Allan Phipps
Alan Phipps wrote:
Tue, 31. Mar 20, 11:23
@ jaab-paradise: Without updating to 3.00/DLC you can still play the 2.60 release version which has been out for some time now; 2.50 is very old now.

The no-steam exe is available from downloads and should be used with a copy of the Steam X4 gamefiles, but is not recommended for when you play 3.00 onwards.

The reason that Linux, GOG and betas did not work is that GOG Galaxy was needed for distributing the betas but GOG had not made Galaxy available for Linux. I hope this helps.
No it did not help, what i want to now is where can i get the raw copy of x4 and the separate updates, sorry if i wasn't clear on that topic :)
I bought x4 on this web site "Egosoft" and redeemed it on Steam... But i have NOOO option to halt updates on steam "and i have looked" i maybe be able to stop the split download but the 3.0 update will still go on :evil:
I read some place in this tread that GOG has started to put out the linux-version of x4 have they stopped doing that :?:
KlausM wrote:
Mon, 3. Jun 19, 16:44
The Linux version is now available on GOG. :)
And can i redeem my Egosoft buy on GOG :?:
Can i get the raw x4 game there with the separate updates :?:
I didn't now about GOG until a few hours ago sorry for that :roll:

I hope this clarify my question to you good people :)

radcapricorn
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by radcapricorn » Tue, 31. Mar 20, 13:16

Alan Phipps wrote:
Tue, 31. Mar 20, 11:23
Ahem. That's a Windows executable. Egosoft didn't make a NoSteam binary for the Steam version of X4 for Linux. Or Rebirth, for that matter.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 31. Mar 20, 13:34

Yes it is, and that's why measures to run Windows have to be taken in order for Linux players to use that exe with a Win copy of the game folder.

As to a 'raw' copy of the game with separate updates, no you cannot get that.

radcapricorn
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by radcapricorn » Tue, 31. Mar 20, 13:37

Alan Phipps wrote:
Tue, 31. Mar 20, 13:34
measures to run Windows have to be taken in order for Linux players...
W.H.A.T.???

jaab-paradise
x4

Post by jaab-paradise » Tue, 31. Mar 20, 14:56

radcapricorn wrote:
Tue, 31. Mar 20, 13:37
Alan Phipps wrote:
W.H.A.T.???
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It makes no sense :evil:

Did this man download a x4 linux version on GOG with a Steam Binary :?: :?: :?:
strask412 wrote:
Tue, 4. Jun 19, 14:28
KlausM wrote:
Woot! Downloading now, thank you Egosoft! :)
:rant:
In the good old days (4 years ago) you could get the hard copy of the game and download all the updates separately, granted it was for a windows pc but i see no problem doing the same for linux.
How hard can it be to modify a single executable binary :?:
I also bought x-rebirth big box set..
I was king on win7 i even separated the swap-disk home-folder and Os on to 3 separated ssd's to supercharge the Os for running games and other programs and get rid of the bottleneck of data in and out of the cpu to the hdd...
The last nail in the coffin was the discontinuing of win7 and the introduction of the spyware win10, i then migrated over to linux, and that is around 2 years ago...
So i am newbie on linux and still google like a champ every time i run in to a problem in linux, i still remember dos but the command's are so numerous and sometime complex so i struggle a bit with linux, but i am getting there...

So what is it :?: Can you dowload x4 from GOG or can you not :?:
And does x4 then comes with a ordinary exe-binary or a Steam-exe-binary :?:
It is so frustrating when you have 600+ game hours invested and a lot of shit is breaking for every update, when i try to re-download from Steam it comes down with the newest updates already installed :evil: :evil: :evil:
And i absolutely refuse to trow more money after the thief Bill Gates :evil:
Aaah my wows and sorrows what shall i do :?:

wasted90
x4

Post by wasted90 » Tue, 31. Mar 20, 15:13

jaab-paradise wrote:
Tue, 31. Mar 20, 14:56
radcapricorn wrote:
Tue, 31. Mar 20, 13:37
Alan Phipps wrote:
W.H.A.T.???
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It makes no sense :evil:

Did this man download a x4 linux version on GOG with a Steam Binary :?: :?: :?:
strask412 wrote:
Tue, 4. Jun 19, 14:28
KlausM wrote:
Woot! Downloading now, thank you Egosoft! :)

So what is it :?: Can you dowload x4 from GOG or can you not :?:
And does x4 then comes with a ordinary exe-binary or a Steam-exe-binary :?:
It is so frustrating when you have 600+ game hours invested and a lot of shit is breaking for every update, when i try to re-download from Steam it comes down with the newest updates already installed :evil: :evil: :evil:
And i absolutely refuse to trow more money after the thief Bill Gates :evil:
Aaah my wows and sorrows what shall i do :?:
yes you can download x4 from GOG. the LINUX version of X4 would come with a LINUX-executable, which wont be linked to steam (would make absolutly no sense if it would be).
and it would be the latest stable version available (like steam).
gog has its own client, named galaxy, which has no linux build. so you would have to dowload the game from the gog website.

off-topic:
what works for me with linux commands i don't use regularly is making my own documentation (small textfile) for it. so i can look them up pretty quick.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 31. Mar 20, 15:14

Again - you can certainly run X4 on Linux with GOG, and you can also run X4 and the X4 betas on Linux with Steam, but you cannot run X4 betas on Linux GOG version because you need GOG Galaxy for the betas and GOG did not provide Galaxy for Linux. I hope that is more clear this time.

Also you can run the no-Steam exe in Linux using Proton/Wine but that is a heck of a palaver just to play a game beta or a backdated version copy.

EDIT: Ninja'd by wasted90.

jaab-paradise
x4

Post by jaab-paradise » Tue, 31. Mar 20, 15:59

wasted90 wrote:
Tue, 31. Mar 20, 15:13

yes you can download x4 from GOG. the LINUX version of X4 would come with a LINUX-executable, which wont be linked to steam (would make absolutly no sense if it would be).
and it would be the latest stable version available (like steam).
gog has its own client, named galaxy, which has no linux build. so you would have to dowload the game from the gog website.

off-topic:
what works for me with linux commands i don't use regularly is making my own documentation (small textfile) for it. so i can look them up pretty quick.
Thanks... And yes i am doing the same... so i am getting a small collection of txt-files to read...
My latest problem was steam allocating 940GB of space on my 1TB disk and that crashed mu ubuntu, (last friday) it took me 2 days to figure out this problem sins i could not log in to ubuntu and had to use a Caine memory-stick i had lying around... The problem was similar to a corrupt ssd and led me on a wild goose chase for 2 days... But i learned how to fix superblock's and restore ssd's toc table and update the Os when not logged in... The problem was solved when i saw that the Steam folder was 940GB but the games was only 240GB so after uninstalling some old games i freed up 750GB...
I just resent Steam for raping my ssd so utterly and completely that my ubuntu Os would not function anymore... :evil: :evil:
Alan Phipps wrote:
Tue, 31. Mar 20, 15:14
Again - you can certainly run X4 on Linux with GOG, and you can also run X4 and the X4 betas on Linux with Steam, but you cannot run X4 betas on Linux GOG version because you need GOG Galaxy for the betas and GOG did not provide Galaxy for Linux. I hope that is more clear this time.

Also you can run the no-Steam exe in Linux using Proton/Wine but that is a heck of a palaver just to play a game beta or a backdated version.

EDIT: Ninja'd by wasted90.
Yes SUPER Clear Thanks :D
My last Question will be the obvious: i bought x4 the Collectors edition on this web site "Egosoft", Can i redeem this game on GOG??? I logged in there and could not find a option to do so, How does this work :?:
Or does i have to support egosoft by buying the game for a second time :?:

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”