[2.21] Player Ship With SCA Service Crew.

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

[2.21] Player Ship With SCA Service Crew.

Post by Imperial Good » Mon, 8. Apr 19, 07:37

This behaviour was observed by using the current stable branch at time of posting running an unmodified game with ventures enabled.

Freshly boarded a SCA Behemoth. Teleported to bridge and found out that SCA crew still staffed it. The ship most certainly is mine, I can take control of it and I even assigned one of the boarding marines as captain. The SCA crew will even shout out commands my captain executes.

This save should load in at the bridge of the player owned ship. The service crew around it belong to SCA and are rude to the player if interacted with. Captain is player owned and player can control the ship.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2vtfjxw8wic81 ... ml.gz?dl=0

Boarding this ship was a pain and not my usual boarding procedure. I took multiple attempts to board it (save scum) since the PAR allies kept blowing it and my marines up. The attempt that succeeded and resulted in this state consisted of me destroying all weapon systems and then boarding it with 44 marines, of which 5 were killed by PAR friendly fire from a missile while in transit. After all marines were on board I removed all orders from the boarding ships and got them to move away. The marines were set to cut the hull at very high and since the ship was at 100% hull and shields this would take a very long time. Eventually the ship engines repaired and it hobbled away from the PAR Nemesis buzzing it and even turned neutral (-5 rep) so I teleported away to dock a L ship that was stuck by my Warf. Eventually they finished cutting the hull and started the combat stage so I checked on the Behemoth on the map and it was taking serious shield damage from PAR forces. At this point I teleported back in sector near it so that the PAR ships were less effective so that the boarding operation could succeed. At this stage the boarding operation was on going but the ship was neutral (-5 rep) with me despite my marines killing the crew on board. Boarding finished successfully and the ship became mine.

However when I teleported to the bridge of the boarded ship I noticed SCA crew still walking around instead of my marines. I then assigned a captain who correctly walked in and took control as my faction. I then changed some of the marines to service crew but the SCA service crew still inhabit the bridge and my service crew are nowhere to be found.

In any case this makes little sense. Especially the fact that the ship went neutral (-5 rep) while a boarding operation was still in progress. At that stage one could in theory dock with the ship and see the captain and crew in the bridge being all calm while hearing your troops struggling during combat. A sensible fix to part of the problem could be that during cutting and combat stages of boarding the temporary reputation penalty has its duration refreshed. This would prevent ships from being able to go friendly during those stages and hence also prevent one from landing on the ship during a boarding operation. This may or may not fix issues like the SCA ghost service crew, in such a case maybe when ownership change occurs all platform personal on the ship should be purged and reloaded.

The SCA service crew only exist as long as you are in sector. Once you leave sector and come back the ship correctly is staffed by your service crew and marines.

UPDATE: I have confirmed that the SCA crew walking around the bridge do have the same names as former SCA service crew working on the ship. These SCA crew were meant to have been killed by fighting during the boarding operation.

Kumba42
x4

Re: [2.21] Player Ship With SCA Service Crew.

Post by Kumba42 » Tue, 9. Apr 19, 19:27

Imperial Good wrote:
Mon, 8. Apr 19, 07:37
This behaviour was observed by using the current stable branch at time of posting running an unmodified game with ventures enabled.

Freshly boarded a SCA Behemoth. Teleported to bridge and found out that SCA crew still staffed it. The ship most certainly is mine, I can take control of it and I even assigned one of the boarding marines as captain. The SCA crew will even shout out commands my captain executes.

This save should load in at the bridge of the player owned ship. The service crew around it belong to SCA and are rude to the player if interacted with. Captain is player owned and player can control the ship.
I've seen this effect as well after capping SCA Behemoths. The method of boarding is irrelevant. I use just eight marines in most cases, but always start by scanning a behemoth to reveal the SCA association and see the crew count, then I strip off its surface weapons, slag the engines, and destroy the shield generators. Next, I park my ship above it and lower the hull to about 8%, then SETA until it repairs back to around 20% again. Between this range, the crew will sometimes abandon ship three at a time. Lather, rinse, repeat until the crew count is down to between 9-12, then take the ship. Easy-peasy. You have to watch out for the tracking turrets getting repaired in SETA, but this rarely happens.

In any case, there are leftover "neutral" crew left aboard, despite the crew count only reading eight after the marines take it over. They play out all of their normal roles, as you point out, but are otherwise quite rude to the player character. Likely a bug in the scripts that finalize the capture operation not clearing out the original crew on-board.

I've also noticed that there are no "prisoners" to be found, even if the ship's crew manifesto prior to capture indicates that there are prisoners. This implies the grim conclusion that the prisoners either died in the firefight between my marines and the crew, were executed by the crew, or executed by my marines...

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: [2.21] Player Ship With SCA Service Crew.

Post by Imperial Good » Tue, 9. Apr 19, 19:47

Kumba42 wrote:
Tue, 9. Apr 19, 19:27
Imperial Good wrote:
Mon, 8. Apr 19, 07:37

I've seen this effect as well after capping SCA Behemoths. The method of boarding is irrelevant. I use just eight marines in most cases, but always start by scanning a behemoth to reveal the SCA association and see the crew count, then I strip off its surface weapons, slag the engines, and destroy the shield generators. Next, I park my ship above it and lower the hull to about 8%, then SETA until it repairs back to around 20% again. Between this range, the crew will sometimes abandon ship three at a time. Lather, rinse, repeat until the crew count is down to between 9-12, then take the ship. Easy-peasy. You have to watch out for the tracking turrets getting repaired in SETA, but this rarely happens.

In any case, there are leftover "neutral" crew left aboard, despite the crew count only reading eight after the marines take it over. They play out all of their normal roles, as you point out, but are otherwise quite rude to the player character. Likely a bug in the scripts that finalize the capture operation not clearing out the original crew on-board.

I've also noticed that there are no "prisoners" to be found, even if the ship's crew manifesto prior to capture indicates that there are prisoners. This implies the grim conclusion that the prisoners either died in the firefight between my marines and the crew, were executed by the crew, or executed by my marines...
Thanks for the suggestions but I am already well aware of how to capture SCA Behemoths easily. I know one can get crew to bail but I just spam 44 crew and over power them since crew are free at player owned warfs and maintenance bays. Since crew is free, losing marines has no cost associated with it so rather than wasting time in SETA getting crew to leave, a process 2.00 made twice as hard, I can just flood the ship with marines to get the job done. In the save I have capped well over 30 Behemoths and 100 Minotaur Raiders. It has even come to the point that I might stop bothering to cap SCA ships seeing how cheap they are to self build, the only reason I still do this is for experimentation purposes to give new players suggestions as well as document bugs, that and this particular ship had Mk3 thrusters which are still costly to make time wise.

Here is a break down of the bail logic. First there is a check based on the number of crew and captain morale, if this fails you cannot get any more crew to bail by shooting them, instead you will need to ask them to surrender. Then there is a base chance level based on the combined crew skill level. This is then multiplied by the ratio of the enemy ship's maximum hull over your maximum hull, capped at 1. This means using a Nemesis to hit a Behemoth Vanguard has a factor of 1 but using a Colossus will have a factor <<1. Then chance is multiplied by a factor of your toughness (current hull + current shield) over the enemy toughness, capped at 1. This means that a Behemoth at 75% hull being attacked by a Nemesis will have a factor <<1 while at 5-10% it will have a factor of 1. Then if the ship is L or XL chance gets multiplied by 0.5, a mechanic added in 2.00. If the attacker is a player owned ship not flown by the player, eg OoS, then chance is multiplied by 0.25. There is a 30 second cooldown between bail rolls so hitting an enemy every few seconds will produce the same bail chances as firing a bolt gun at them continuously. Bail rolls can occur only when the victim ship is below 20% shield and 75% hull. Number of crew that bails depends on pilot morale and number of crew. Surrender should always work as long as the target is eligible for bail rolls (less than 20% shield, less than 75% hull, no bail cooldown active) and the target is not an L or XL ship.

Prisoners appear to bail with the rest of the crew. I suspect there is no proper logic for them at the moment. The idea might be that you can get enemy crew to bail and turn them into prisoners to sell. However currently it seems impossible for players to get prisoners as far as I am aware and the SCA prisoners appear to function like any other ship crew, including bailing with their imprisoners and possibly even fighting along side them during boarding as well. I would not call them bugged, similar to skill seminars, because they are likely just a work in progress similar to how warfs and shipyards were at release.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”