Checking and updating all your drivers "automatically"

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

peteran
x4

Checking and updating all your drivers "automatically"

Post by peteran » Tue, 9. Apr 19, 23:29

There's a nice piece of software called Driver Easy that you can use to check and update all your drivers on your computer.
If you think your drivers are up-to-date, think again.
You're at the mercy of decisions made by Microsoft (also, several motherboard manufacturers are really bad at updating their packages)!

I thought that I had fairly recent drivers but needed to solve my computer getting a BSOD from time to time.

Now it's been rock solid for more than 48 hours with all 15 out-dated drivers updated.

A nice, unexpected side-effect is that my performance in X4: Foundations seems to have increased noticeably and feels smoother.

Check my journey with a lot of pictures that may serve as a guide of sorts here.

Sorry about the layout on my site. One of these days I'll take the time to fix it.

adeine
x4

Re: Checking and updating all your drivers "automatically"

Post by adeine » Wed, 10. Apr 19, 05:29

You probably shouldn't turn over your drivers to questionably legitimate tools. The tool is known to offer dodgy drivers which may or may not be authentic or suitable for generic devices (such as 'newer' versions only released OEM with specific systems) to warrant paying money.

Always update your drivers manually from the manufacturer's website and make sure you know what you're doing. Messing around with pcie or motherboard firmware can brick your system if you're not using the correct driver for your specific hardware/install.
Last edited by adeine on Wed, 10. Apr 19, 07:35, edited 1 time in total.

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Checking and updating all your drivers "automatically"

Post by Imperial Good » Wed, 10. Apr 19, 06:45

On Windows generally only graphic drivers need frequent updates. Most other updates are often best left to Windows 10 to update, since it does that every 6 months or so with every milestone update. Graphic drivers are pretty easy to install and the graphic hardware makers have user friendly sites to help one find the driver to download. Some like NVidia even offer one applications like GeForce Experience to manage the driver updates.

I certainly would not trust a third party tool with installing drivers. Drivers contain code that is executed at kernel level so the code must be from a trusted source.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”