Ship Disintegrating

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Sirus5
x4

Ship Disintegrating

Post by Sirus5 » Wed, 10. Apr 19, 10:26

X4 - V 2.21 (341463)
Operating System : Windows 10 64 Bit
Machine - Overclockers Germanium I9-9900k, 32GB Ram, several 1 and 2GB SSD with about 20GB Hard Disk.
Hotas - Saitek X52 Pro.

Have a Cerberus which was an abandoned ship - Docked it with the PHQ for a while and teleported to it.
Heard that my Cerberus was destroyed - so I loaded my save just before that and found it to be full of holes
with patchy holes appearing all the time and getting worse - it looks like a station being built in reverse.
I had just the dock on the PHQ and had just put in a plan to alter that and move the dock.

The ship continues to get more holes until it is destroyed!!!

I am thinking that as I moved the dock in the plan build that the dock and the ship are being destroyed.

EDIT: -

Confirmed - when I start to rearrange the PHQ and move the 1M6S Docking bay - the build shows the dock will
be destroyed and rebuilt - it shows the docking bay in red at 100% and the ship still docked - Even if
I undock the ship immediately - it still starts disintegrating and will eventually be destroyed.

I have a screenshot but don't seem to be able to attach it here.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Ship Disintegrating

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 10. Apr 19, 15:39

Yes the move of a station module is a 'destroy and rebuild elsewhere' resource-neutral process - any ships docked at the time the dock is signalled to be destroyed will go too. I think this harps back to the behaviour in earlier X games where docked ships became part of the station structure and so with station shielding, but also died with the station. Maybe, if you are very patient, the docked ship will be rebuilt after the dock is finished in its new location - but I suspect that may not be the case.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Wed, 10. Apr 19, 17:16

One cannot deny that a better behaviour would be for the demolition process to stall until all landed ships undock, during which time docking on those bays is prohibited. Could be extended to include forcing ships in internal storage to undock as well if there will not be enough capacity for them to remain in storage.

Currently one can use dock demolition to destroy NPC ships I would imagine. Additionally it can be a pain with busy stations to make sure a dock is free.

Sirus5
x4

Post by Sirus5 » Wed, 10. Apr 19, 18:36

Thanks Alan,

That does make sense when you think about it....
As someone who started with X-Tension and has followed everything except Rebirth,
I should have followed logical conclusion - but just hearing "Ship Destroyed" and seeing
a still live PHQ made me think - and so I reloaded and teleported over to the ship.

It looked like it had caught some infectious disease with spots appearing everywhere
and I thought it had caught a Virus at first :lol: it was just like rainspots appeared
everywhere slowly and grew into holes - very disconcerting. I flew it to another NPC
station in the hope that it would stop - but nope - it continued disintegrating and
after docking it just faded out of existance on the NPC station.

I guess it would have been nice to have been warned before module changes were
committed to have a warning that anything docked there could be destroyed.

Thanks for the confirmation

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”