Flickering textures on some planets and moons - Possibly fixed in 2.60 b2

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Len5

Flickering textures on some planets and moons - Possibly fixed in 2.60 b2

Post by Len5 » Sat, 4. May 19, 11:53

A few planets and moons in the game have flickering textures (A moon in Hewa's Twin e.g.). Just the surface textures partly shifting back and forth very quickly.
There are no further problems with graphics or textures at the moment, just this.

I've been looking around to see if someone else had the same problem, but wasn't able to find anything. Do I need to change some graphics settings? I've set it to high and my pc is good enough to handle that.

edit: Gonna look where the glitching bodies are. So far: A moon in Hewa's Twin 3 and a moon in Morning Star 4 which looks fine from afar in Morning Star 3. And a planet in Trinity Sanctum 7.
Last edited by Len5 on Thu, 16. May 19, 09:27, edited 1 time in total.

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Flickering textures on some planets and moons

Post by Imperial Good » Sun, 5. May 19, 00:10

Len5 wrote:
Sat, 4. May 19, 11:53
A few planets and moons in the game have flickering textures (A moon in Hewa's Twin e.g.). Just the surface textures partly shifting back and forth very quickly.
I suggest taking some screenshots or even a video capture of the issue. This might help with diagnosing the cause. Also a dxdiag listing would be useful so that people can guess what performance you should have.

Len5

Post by Len5 » Sun, 5. May 19, 12:10

I made a gif of the moon in Hewa's Twin 3 https://imgur.com/a/47Fq6Yt (ignore the rotation movement of the moon)

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Mon, 6. May 19, 04:18

Something is not right with that moon in Hewa's Twin III... Although I do not get flickering textures that badly I do get textures abruptly changing when moving camera distance despite the moon being very far away. They also do flicker sometimes in a similar way as shown, just not as badly or continuously.

Possibly a Z fighting issue? It looks like some of the texture layers swap order at times which produces the flickering. This points towards Z fighting, with the layers being physically too close to each other so floating point error might cause them to incorrectly swap the draw order. The flickering is the result of the layers rotating which alters their Z depth with floating point rounding effects and hence due to the Z fighting causes the displayed order to swap. Due to the nature of Z fighting the magnitude and results would vary based on the vendor and card model being used.

Might also be related to how the LoD system works. Since with me it appears to happen when transitioning the camera a certain distance away from my craft. The moon should not be effected by LoD seeing how it is massive and very far away so should always be at the same visual quality.
Last edited by Imperial Good on Thu, 9. May 19, 14:50, edited 1 time in total.

Len5

Post by Len5 » Tue, 7. May 19, 20:04

With me the flickering is al the time, also when I'm stationary.

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Wed, 8. May 19, 15:37

Len5 wrote:
Tue, 7. May 19, 20:04
With me the flickering is al the time, also when I'm stationary.
Might be worth mentioning what GPU you are using, since if it is Z fighting the varying symptoms/severity could be due to the differences between GPU vendors.

I use a NVidia GeForce GTX 760 4 GB. There are visual artefacts at certain camera positions that vary with the Hewa's Twin III moons natural rotation. Resolution is 1080p.

Len5

Post by Len5 » Wed, 8. May 19, 16:43

I've got an ASRock RX 580 8gb. I haven't seen any z fighting in other games yet.

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Fri, 20. Sep 19, 04:18

This might be fixed in 2.60.

I am no longer able to reproduce Z fighting artefacts when looking at the moon in Hewa's Twin III.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”