Killing SCA reduces rep with MIN - Possible fix in a future build.

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

nubular
x4

Killing SCA reduces rep with MIN - Possible fix in a future build.

Post by nubular » Tue, 21. May 19, 09:29

I am still encountering an issue that I remember experiencing just after this game launched:

I will sometimes be right next to my PHQ, and a SCA pirate will tell me to drop my cargo, Of course I refuse, so they attack. After killing them, for some reason I will be reported to station security for MIN and my reputation for MIN will decrease despite being two different factions. I took a break from the game for a few months but I was really hoping this issue would have been resolved by now.

Is anyone else still experiencing this? Any idea when we will have a fix? I am playing vanilla game. No mods.

SPiDER
x4

Re: Killing SCA reduces rep with MIN

Post by SPiDER » Tue, 21. May 19, 10:35

Yes it is still happening and the "encounters" makes it worse.
It even happens when you take over a sector like Heretics End....the whole thing goes down its BUGGED routine except it ends at the report to sector security with no rep loss...and According to CBJ I'm confusing this with something else......Quite what I still have not been able to work out....

nubular
x4

Post by nubular » Tue, 21. May 19, 11:17

Interesting. I'm still pretty early in the game. Only have my PHQ with 3 production modules, 5 trade ships, and 1 miner so I have not spent a lot of time in Heretics End yet. Still trying to scrape together as much money as possible. The problem has gotten progressively worse the more I play. I can't even enter Grand Exchange 1 now without having at least 2 or 3 pirates from various factions (SCA, TEL, ARG) telling me to drop my cargo.

I even wait for them to attack me first before firing back, but each time I kill any hostile ship that isn't Xenon or Kha'ak I lose reputation with factions I am allied with. It's getting very frustrating. The problem seems even worse than it was at launch.

I'm really hoping for a fix to this soon. My only recourse is to leave the sector and let TEL fighter squads take out the pirates, but as soon as I enter the sector again I am almost immediately confronted by more pirates that keep spawning in the sector.

SPiDER
x4

Post by SPiDER » Tue, 21. May 19, 11:27

Yes this also happened to me ..its why with this bug and the AI pathfinding out of the PHQ sector with L ships I gave up and moved to A sector on the superhighway in my case Argon Prime these core sectors on the superhighway have way less Pirates appear in them so it happens less often. Getting REP with MIN is hard enough so for most of my game I didnt even bother with teladi sectors...just built a couple of complex's and let the trade build it up.

Rastuasi
x4

Post by Rastuasi » Thu, 23. May 19, 03:13

The issue is that the SCA use a signal mask, so MIN think they're a non-pirate ship. What you have to do is get up close, scan mode and scan the ship. This will remove the masked identifier code. That allows me to shoot and kill without standings loss.

Kernel Panic
x3tc

Post by Kernel Panic » Thu, 23. May 19, 05:15

Rastuasi wrote:
Thu, 23. May 19, 03:13
The issue is that the SCA use a signal mask, so MIN think they're a non-pirate ship. What you have to do is get up close, scan mode and scan the ship. This will remove the masked identifier code. That allows me to shoot and kill without standings loss.
So what do you do when you are OoS? You can't scan them then and you can't be there for every attack against your assets. To be honest this is one of main reasons why I can't recommend the game in it's current state. If you can't reasonably protect and control what is yours then it really is not yours.

SPiDER
x4

Post by SPiDER » Thu, 23. May 19, 10:02

Tried the Scan ........ dosent work

And it isnt just MIN MIN was an example because of the difficulty in increasing REP with them seeing as though TEL and MIN got mixed up from the beggining and no one wanted to admit to such a fundamental error.

Its all factions

Rastuasi
x4

Post by Rastuasi » Thu, 23. May 19, 13:08

Works for me every time, regardless of race of space, but I've not tried OOS.

unit757
x4

Post by unit757 » Fri, 24. May 19, 20:39

It is because SCA is neutral to TEL and MIN, so attacking an SCA ship in their space is considered attacking a neutral ship, which is why you loose rep. It has nothing to do with the masking system in that case. For the other factions though you need to unmask them.

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Sat, 25. May 19, 01:12

I have explained this a lot of times. MIN loves you killing SCA, however stations in TEL space might not like you killing SCA and since MIN police TEL space the stations report you to MIN causing a rep loss.

Specifically SCA, HAT and TEL stations in TEL space will report you to MIN for killing SCA nearby. Although most commonly an issue in TEL space for obvious reasons, this is not limited to TEL space. HAT will report you to ANT for killing SCA nearby their stations in ANT space as well.

The bug is that the police faction does not check if they care about the kill being reported. One can get the stupid situation where you get reported to the MIN representative who "updates your criminal record" just for the same MIN representative to thank you for the kill and even pay you for it a few seconds later. Police factions should discard station reports about ship kills where those killed ships belong to factions they do not like.

I think someone even reported the stupid situation where a Xenon Defence Platform reported them to local police for shooting up XEN nearby. I cannot confirm if this was a joke or not and if it was it may have already been fixed.

zarrazee

Post by zarrazee » Sun, 26. May 19, 19:48

Just come across this bug in my game. SPP attacking one of my ships in TEL space. When I kill them, I get a -20 rep loss. :(

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Mon, 27. May 19, 02:13

zarrazee wrote:
Sun, 26. May 19, 19:48
Just come across this bug in my game. SPP attacking one of my ships in TEL space. When I kill them, I get a -20 rep loss. :(
The -20 rep loss is a temporary loss with nearby ships. Remove or secure all nearby assets and eventually the ship/ships should cool off and become friendly again.

Additionally if you max reputation with a faction, eg 30 reputation, then the temporary reputation lost is not sufficient for the ships to go hostile and instead they just like you slightly less for a while until it wears off. This is likely a bug or exploit but to me I think of it as a feature/reward for obtaining such high reputation.

zarrazee

Post by zarrazee » Mon, 27. May 19, 18:35

Imperial Good wrote:
Mon, 27. May 19, 02:13
zarrazee wrote:
Sun, 26. May 19, 19:48
The -20 rep loss is a temporary loss with nearby ships. Remove or secure all nearby assets and eventually the ship/ships should cool off and become friendly again.

Additionally if you max reputation with a faction, eg 30 reputation, then the temporary reputation lost is not sufficient for the ships to go hostile and instead they just like you slightly less for a while until it wears off. This is likely a bug or exploit but to me I think of it as a feature/reward for obtaining such high reputation.
Unfortunately, the SPP ship in question was buzzing about the PHQ area after only 3-4 hours into a fresh start. I tried ramming it Elite: Dangerous style, but no collision detection. Instead, I told the ship under attack (the one with the 3 antimatter for the PHQ quest) to dock until it was safe to come out and conduct the experiment. All my ships are now OOS, so when I return after building the dock, we'll see if it's still around.

nubular
x4

Post by nubular » Tue, 28. May 19, 23:38

I haven't tried scanning these ships before attacking but I suppose I can try it.

It seems odd that attacking a red/hostile ship would result in any reputation loss since they are the ones that initiated the hostilities. I never attack. I only defend my ships that are being threatened. This should never result in a reputation loss but even in 2.50 the same problem is occurring. Was really hoping this would be addressed with the update.

nubular
x4

Post by nubular » Wed, 29. May 19, 02:46

I've been scanning hostile pirates before opening fire hoping that this would solve the reputation loss problem but it only works about 25% of the time. Of course there is no indication in-game that the scan has done anything so I am just left to assume that all of these scans have been successful (tough to get close enough to a kestrel or discoverer when you are piloting a pulsar). I find it very hard to believe that this was what the devs intended. All I need is the ability to freely defend my ships against those that attack or threaten to attack them.

multox
x4

Post by multox » Sat, 1. Jun 19, 03:47

I just ran into this bug too, after returning from an X4 hiatus. I had high hopes for 2.5.

Maybe some talented modder could fix this?

Subsoil
x4

Post by Subsoil » Sun, 25. Aug 19, 13:31

i lost MIN rep from 15+ down to 3 just defending my PHQ, had police licens and all, and lost it.

I am pissed about this, its game breaking and if it is by design is just as appealing as puke.

AquilaRossa
x4

Post by AquilaRossa » Wed, 28. Aug 19, 04:52

I have not had this rep loss happen yet, but if I attack a SCA ship that is red colour I get a message over the comm telling me to cease my attack immediately. It happens in an unowned sector, so i am not sure who is telling me to stop, because it is not the pilot. Is it the manager of a nearby SCA station? If it is red I would think it is fair game, but it does not seem so. I presume if the attack is made in a MIN sector I may lose rep too. I remember from X3R that the Teladi and pirates were tight, so maybe they are treated as allies of Teladi even if appearing as a hostile to you. SCA coloured red did not attack me last time either. They were red because they had tried to pirate one of my traders, but do not seem to see me as hostile because they have not demanded I drop cargo myself. Eventually they turn blue again.

Subsoil
x4

Post by Subsoil » Thu, 29. Aug 19, 19:43

Had to use "Disable Encounters" ( https://www.nexusmods.com/x4foundations/mods/85 ).
was about to hit 20 with MIN, and a group of SCA attacked my PHQ, was at 3 after 20 min or so.

Had a backup save from before and now i use "Disable Encounters" mod, modifed game now ;/

j.harshaw
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT

Post by j.harshaw » Thu, 5. Sep 19, 09:20

Finally managed to reproduce this consistently. The cause turned out to be rather circumspect. When you destroy a ship that had been using cover (pretending to be aligned with a different faction) and is showing its true faction at the moment you destroy it, it very briefly reverts to the cover faction at the very moment that it gets destroyed. The symptom, getting penalized by the police faction protecting that area of space, does not always kick in, but when it does, it can happen regardless of faction.

In any case, this is now fixed. Fix should be in a future update.

Please bear in mind, as with many fixes of this nature, that while this cause has been fixed there may be others. Haven't encountered any more incidents in testing since the fix, however.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”