[Linux] [Solved] PSA: OpenGL desktop compositing may cause uneven framerate/stutter.

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

steve_v
x4

[Linux] [Solved] PSA: OpenGL desktop compositing may cause uneven framerate/stutter.

Post by steve_v » Wed, 5. Jun 19, 08:52

I found the culprit while typing this post, but I will post it anyway it as a warning to others:
There seems to be some kind of conflict between Vulkan and OpenGL desktop compositing (KDE+Nvidia), this took me a minute to figure out as X4 is the only game I have encountered that suffers any performance problems with compositing enabled.

When running exactly the same hardware and settings as I was with the Windows version, I'm seeing a somewhat difficult to describe unevenness in perceived framerate (not reflected by the games FPS counter) when walking on a station - both movement and panning the camera, almost like dropped frames every ~0.5s, only evident when MSAA or SSAA are enabled... Disabled compositing and all is buttery smooth.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: [Linux] [Solved] PSA: OpenGL desktop compositing may cause uneven framerate/stutter.

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 5. Jun 19, 10:32

Added to the 'Known issues with possible workarounds' Sticky. Thanks.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

radcapricorn
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: [Linux] [Solved] PSA: OpenGL desktop compositing may cause uneven framerate/stutter.

Post by radcapricorn » Wed, 5. Jun 19, 12:29

'Tis a bit unbelievable, considering the game tells DE to disable compositing already. But, I'll test anyway.

steve_v
x4

Post by steve_v » Wed, 5. Jun 19, 15:09

radcapricorn wrote:
Wed, 5. Jun 19, 12:29
'Tis a bit unbelievable, considering the game tells DE to disable compositing already.
Only the case in KDE if you check "allow applications to block compositing", which I generally don't as I had never seen a game that benefited from it until now, and disabling compositing often screws up the taskbar. That last one has been in "pass the bug" mode for years, I blame nvidia, it's usually a safe bet.

radcapricorn
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by radcapricorn » Wed, 5. Jun 19, 15:31

Ah, OK, I forgot it had it optional, mine is enabled. Thanks.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”