[BUG] Jumping higher does not work

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

alt3rn1ty
x4

[BUG] Jumping higher does not work

Post by alt3rn1ty » Wed, 5. Jun 19, 19:29

In the loading screen tips, there is a message saying something along the lines of ..

"Press Spacebar to jump, and C to crouch, combining the two makes you jump higher"

I have never been able to make that key combination on a PC work.

Whichever key you hit first, that relevant action is done. But trying to hit them both simultaneously to achieve a higher jump, always results in jumping the same height as if you had just pressed space bar on its own.
I also tried pressing the Crouch button just slightly ahead of the spacebar in case its a timing thing and you need to simulate crouching for the big jump .. No matter what I try I have never had any joy with this.

I have tried a few times while standing next to something close as a visual reference of the height achieved, and there is never any difference.

Was this something that was planned to be in the game which only ever became a loading screen tip, but functionally never made it into the game ?

I occasionally try it to see if I can get into a more advantageous view on the bridge of various ships, with an NPC as Captain. leaving me free to command the ship via the map, or jump in the seat if necessary. Some cockpits are a bit restrictive as to where you can go without jumping around the side of a console - Nemesis for example, you can use the normal jump a couple of times to get into the middle at the front of the cockpit giving a good view, but occasionally the normal jump height doesn't quite make it and you get a little stuck until you spam jumping to wiggle out.
Laptop Dell G15 5510 : Win 11 x64
CPU - 10th Gen' Core I7 10870H 2.2-5.0ghz, GPU - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060, VRAM 6gb GDDR5,
RAM - 32gb (2x16gb, Dual Channel mode set in BIOS) DDR4 2933mhz Kingston Fury Impact,
SSD - Kioxia M.2 NVME 512gb (System), + Samsung M.2 NVME 970 Evo Plus 1tb (Games)

:boron: Long live Queen Polypheides and may her tentacles always be supple.
Seeker of Sohnen.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: [BUG] Jumping higher does not work

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 5. Jun 19, 21:45

I *think* that might just be an old message/tip inherited from X Rebirth where sometimes you had to crouch while jumping to fit onto a raised walkway with low clearance.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

radcapricorn
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by radcapricorn » Wed, 5. Jun 19, 22:39

It does work, but the height difference is minimal. Try jumping over the force field barriers in e.g. a wharf dock. Much faster than using the elevator :)

SPiDER
x4

Post by SPiDER » Wed, 5. Jun 19, 22:59

could this be related to Boso Ta telling you he " will let you know when He has finished " but never does?

alt3rn1ty
x4

Post by alt3rn1ty » Thu, 6. Jun 19, 14:27

radcapricorn wrote:
Wed, 5. Jun 19, 22:39
It does work, but the height difference is minimal. Try jumping over the force field barriers in e.g. a wharf dock. Much faster than using the elevator :)
Tried it - I found while walking forward into the barrier, pressing space jumps as usual, but then if I press C just a fraction after space then you clear the fence ..

But, there is still no difference in height jumped, its like the addition of pressing C enables you to scramble your legs over the fence.

Go try the key combination while standing close to a wall, so that at your maximum jump height just with the space bar, you can line up a point of reference in the wall texture, with a point on the corner of your screen. Then try the combination and there is no difference in height jumped at all.

I also just tried a comparison of jumps on the Bridge of the Odyssey Vanguard, that curved rail at the front of the cockpit with a normal jump lines up perfectly with the lower left corner of my screen at the apex of the jump .. And its the same with the key combination. There is no height difference any way I try that can be perceived.

Maybe its a fudge, and the addition of C just allows you to force your way over a few objects in the game.
Laptop Dell G15 5510 : Win 11 x64
CPU - 10th Gen' Core I7 10870H 2.2-5.0ghz, GPU - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060, VRAM 6gb GDDR5,
RAM - 32gb (2x16gb, Dual Channel mode set in BIOS) DDR4 2933mhz Kingston Fury Impact,
SSD - Kioxia M.2 NVME 512gb (System), + Samsung M.2 NVME 970 Evo Plus 1tb (Games)

:boron: Long live Queen Polypheides and may her tentacles always be supple.
Seeker of Sohnen.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”