[Linux] Applications with open VDPAU contexts crash X4 with "Exit code 211" .

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

steve_v
x4

[Linux] Applications with open VDPAU contexts crash X4 with "Exit code 211" .

Post by steve_v » Thu, 6. Jun 19, 10:20

Again, posting for anyone else running into this.

Tried to launch X4 while I had a couple of videos paused in my usual video player, got:

Code: Select all

======================================
'GeForce GTX 1070' NVidia-driver v430.14.0 (Vulkan 1.1.99) check=1
VideoBEClass::CreateSwapchain() CreateSwapchainKHR failed with err -3
X4 encountered a serious error: 211

If you get redirected to a web page, please follow the instructions pointed out there. Alternatively send a mail to prioritysupport@egosoft.com with the subject: "Exitcode 211".

Error: VideoBEClass::CreateSwapchain() CreateSwapchainKHR failed with err -3
Enabling desktop compositing or closing the application that is using VDPAU (in this case an Smplayer / MPV video player window) allows the game to launch normally.

Seems X4 really wants exclusive access to the GPU, and the graphics subsystem is excruciatingly picky about other applications using it. It's probably just another Nvidia bug, there are lots of those, but all the same it's pretty annoying.

LicoMonch
x4

Re: [Linux] Applications with open VDPAU contexts crash X4 with "Exit code 211" .

Post by LicoMonch » Wed, 16. Mar 22, 22:26

Thx, that helped a lot .. why? Cause googling for the error prevented the game from starting: For me it was an open Firefox and the Steam-Client ..

Steam-Client can be nasty, because sometimes the webhelper of the client gets into dumb mode and runs a core full in the background and also claiming parts of the gpu .. restarting the clients helps most of the time (after 20mins of testing :mrgreen: )
Those who die earlier, will be dead longer.

awenger

Re: [Linux] Applications with open VDPAU contexts crash X4 with "Exit code 211" .

Post by awenger » Sat, 9. Apr 22, 11:54

For me this issue only appeared with the 5.x update, I never saw it with 4.x versions of x4

harkov
x4

Post by harkov » Tue, 12. Apr 22, 20:30

I get these sometimes as well. Most of the time restarting the steam client helps.
Ubuntu 20.04
GTX 2070 Super
Ryzen 3700X

aradapilot
x4

Post by aradapilot » Mon, 27. Jun 22, 20:30

Any word on a potential fix for this? Been stuck for a while now

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 27. Jun 22, 20:41

Unless your situation and issue are identical in all respects to the OP's, posting in an old thread is not a good idea. Please start your own threads and supply the information about your exact situation and system. You can provide a link to this thread in your new thread if you wish.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”