saves gone

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

LittleOak
x4

saves gone

Post by LittleOak » Wed, 14. Aug 19, 22:10

Just started playing. about 30 hrs in atm. Everything was fine, until I logged in on the 13th. My saves were gone. I figured I would just start a new game, But the game won't let me save games either. Nothing has changed on my PC. No crashes in game. Didn't have mods at the time. Please help with this issue. would hate to have to refund game cause I was having fun playing.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: saves gone

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 14. Aug 19, 23:12

"Didn't have mods at the time". Well that doesn't sound encouraging since you 'just started playing'. I think attempted modding would be the first suspect for the likely cause. Make sure that you are using the Steam account and username that you created the saves with when playing.

Saves from your Documents folder don't just disappear - you have to delete, move or rename them, whether intentionally or not - so they are probably still there in some form somewhere (usually Drive:\Users\Your Name\Documents\Egosoft\X4\Your Steam ID No\save\) if you look from outside the game. There is nothing that the game will do to remove them unless you hit the delete button, but it might overwrite them. If your game will not now let you save either, then you may have renamed or tried to move the save folder to another location that the game and its working folder just don't recognise, or you may have changed the permissions on the save folder and/or its path. You could also try again using 'Account Administrator' status.

Make sure that in managing your saves you haven't externally compressed, encrypted, or changed the flags on their files or folders. A very common error is thinking that you are copying the saves somewhere else just as a backup when in fact you are moving them instead.

Lastly if you have used some 3rd party mod manager or save manager, then you would have to take up what has happened with the relevant author.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

LittleOak
x4

Post by LittleOak » Wed, 14. Aug 19, 23:31

I didn't have mods when this happened, but have since subscribed to a couple. My save files are on my PC, but not in game. I got on today, and it let me save once, and then wouldn't let me again. Old saves are still gone though in the game. I haven't switched any accounts either.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 14. Aug 19, 23:33

So, to be clear, did you only see the saves missing in-game after going modded?

A good idea would be to verify your X4 gamefile cache in case your installation has corrupted.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”