Game won’t launch after upgrade. Help! - Fixed by installing Visual C++ Redistributables

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

CaptainRAVE
x4

Game won’t launch after upgrade. Help! - Fixed by installing Visual C++ Redistributables

Post by CaptainRAVE » Fri, 4. Oct 19, 08:15

So I upgraded from a 4770k to a 9700k. Still on my 1080Ti. Game launched fine before the upgrade, but now it won’t. Steam tries to launch it, then nothing happens.

I’ve tried:
- deleting all the config files
- verifying the game cache
- uninstalling and reinstalling

What else is left to try? My gpu drivers are up to date? I’ll check that compression is switched off. Chipset drivers? A Vulkan issue? Is there another way to try launching the game?

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Re: Game won’t launch after upgrade. Help!

Post by CBJ » Fri, 4. Oct 19, 09:22

If nothing happens at all when you try to launch the game then that's usually a Steam client issue. Try exiting the Steam client completely (not just shutting the main window) and restarting it.

CaptainRAVE
x4

Re: Game won’t launch after upgrade. Help!

Post by CaptainRAVE » Fri, 4. Oct 19, 19:49

Thanks for the reply. When I try to run from the Steam folder at least it now gives me an error - vcruntime140.dll missing.

Reinstalling Steam, but may need to try fixing that dll issue. Unsure how currently!

Edit: fixed by downloading...https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... x?id=53840

Surprised WIndows didn't do that automatically when installed?

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Game won’t launch after upgrade. Help! - Fixed by installing Visual C++ Redistributables

Post by Imperial Good » Sat, 5. Oct 19, 06:15

CaptainRAVE wrote:
Fri, 4. Oct 19, 19:49
Surprised WIndows didn't do that automatically when installed?
MSVC runtimes are not part of windows. Although by how many applications use them they might as well be.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”