Random Crashes SOund related?

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

dougeye
x3tc

Re: Random Crashes SOund related?

Post by dougeye » Mon, 25. Nov 19, 20:25

Just found that windows is reverting everything back to read only as soon as i close the window/folder and keeps doing it regardless of which files i try it on. spent an hour trying to sort out but no joy so looks like no crash reports :(
I used to list PC parts here, but "the best" will suffice!

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 25. Nov 19, 20:52

That could mean that a higher level folder is read only or otherwise protected and it's protected state reads down into its subfolders when you try to change things at a lower level. I cannot really help much more as I cannot see the file organisation on your specific system, but it certainly sounds like a permissions or flag issue at some level. Mind you, even resolving this would just enable dumps and not actually fix any fault, but we would at least potentially be better informed about the issue.

Just a thought. Have you put your GOG games into 'Program Files' or 'Program Files (x86)' on the boot drive? Generally speaking that can be a bad idea as those folders tend to be far more jealously protected by the OS. I normally put my application and game files and Steam etc into a different main folder or even drive/partition making sure that the application etc knows the appropriate directory path for its working area.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

dougeye
x3tc

Post by dougeye » Wed, 27. Nov 19, 08:27

I checked all my securtity admin and flag settings and made the whole drive (c:/) non read only, but same result, apparently its because of a recent windows update. i noticed even tough i only operate one account on the pc that there are for some reason several generic accounts that have been generated.

Anyway good idea on moving GOG out on x86. will try that anyway will just mean a wipe and reinstall for gog and its games.

But as you say it may be a long way from fixing the actual issue!

thanks for now.

dougeye
x3tc

Post by dougeye » Wed, 27. Nov 19, 17:18

ok so moved gog onto c drive and checked permissions and tried again but no change, ive seen online that its a windows update issue so for now im buggered ill have to hope someone else gets the same crash and it gets patched out. shame i was enjoying the beta, will try again when split vendetta comes out.

thanks

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 27. Nov 19, 17:50

I just cannot see how it can be mainly a Windows Update issue unless either the update download or current OS version have become corrupted. Firstly your Win10 is not yet updated to 1909 as far as I know, and secondly others whose Win10 is fully updated (and some who are not yet updated from 1903 to 1909) are able to post 3.00 beta 2 dump files just fine, including for GOG versions. <shrugs>
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

dougeye
x3tc

Post by dougeye » Fri, 29. Nov 19, 14:52

baffles me aswell but no matter what i change in security settings etc every time i change folder properties they get reverted back. ive got one last option and thats turning off antivirus incase its doing something iffy. (AVAST). Not blaming devs for this at all just getting frustrated not being able to produce dumps. The only time i got a dump file was a start up crash pre main menu screen but this only happened once. when it drops out of game to desktop i get nothing.

thanks

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”