2.6: No audio on Linux [solved]

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

DDR0

2.6: No audio on Linux [solved]

Post by DDR0 » Wed, 27. Nov 19, 10:05

When starting the game on Linux (Ubuntu 19.10 w/ KDE), no audio at all is heard. All other programs play their audio fine.

Version and language: 2.6 English
Whether or not your game is modified using any third party scripts or mods: No.
Game start being played: None. Issue occurs before main menu.
Exact nature of the problem, where and when it occurs and what you were doing at the time: Audio does not play. Problem occurs on startup of X4: Foundations.
Any possibly relevant changes you have made to your game, system, or software before the issue occurred: None. OS was installed fresh last week, X4: Foundations installed about an hour ago.
Your system specifications in the form of a DxDiag report and vulkaninfo:

Code: Select all

command not found: vulkaninfo
[update]
So it turns out there are two audio devices on my system - my graphics card seems capable of outputting music to my monitor. Which, being a monitor, can't do anything with it. I'd set my line out, which is connected to my speakers, as the default device. It seems everything -except- X4: Foundations respected this default. To fix this, I had to go into Audio Volume Settings in KDE, select the "Advanced" tab, and turn the device profile of my monitor to "Off". X4: Foundations started playing audio when I started it up again.
Of further note: I tried swapping the audio device in Audio Volume Settings -> Applications tab, which worked visually... and apparently did nothing.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”