Steam Cloud - Cross platform savegames

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Kalanur
x4

Steam Cloud - Cross platform savegames

Post by Kalanur » Wed, 27. Nov 19, 20:15

Hello,

I was just wondering if there are any technical differences between the savegames on the Linux and Windows version of the games.
Because currently, they don't sync cross-platform, the savegames are separate from each other even if Steam Cloud is enabled. The same was already happening in X Rebirth (iirc, but I can check) so I don't know if this is just a bug or intentional.
I have two machines with two different OS so it would be nice if I don't always have to manually sync them over the local network.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Steam Cloud - Cross platform savegames

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 27. Nov 19, 21:50

I could be wrong but it seems to me that both Windows and Linux players are posting links to (vanillla) saves in these forums and players of each version (and the devs) seem quite capable of trying out both OS version saves. Hence I *suspect* that there are no great technical differences in the saves (if any at all). Having the saves compressed and signed to the same extent in-game also seems to reinforce that opinion.

As to why the different OS saves don't or cannot synch across Steam cloud, that might be a question better asked of Steam than Egosoft as the answer will probably depend more upon Steam's OS-specific issues than on Egosoft's. That's just my lay-person opinion though.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Kalanur
x4

Post by Kalanur » Wed, 27. Nov 19, 22:10

Thank you for the fast reply.
Yes, the savegames seem to be cross-platform compatible, I've never had an issue so far.
I don't think it's a Steam issue, because other multiplatform games like Witcher 2 and Rimworld, for example, seem to sync without problems over Steam cloud on different platforms. I am no developer myself but it seems like the different X4 versions just point to different folders on the server-side to separate them.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Thu, 28. Nov 19, 10:53

The devs have confirmed that there are indeed technical reasons why they haven't worked with Steam on achieving Steam cloud cross-platform save synch. That does not rule it out completely for the future but it will not be a work priority any time soon.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Kalanur
x4

Post by Kalanur » Fri, 29. Nov 19, 00:58

Alan Phipps wrote:
Thu, 28. Nov 19, 10:53
The devs have confirmed that there are indeed technical reasons why they haven't worked with Steam on achieving Steam cloud cross-platform save synch. That does not rule it out completely for the future but it will not be a work priority any time soon.
Thank you for confirming it. So there is still hope for complete cross-platform Steam Cloud support :)

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”