Intermittent sound, then no sound

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

eques9090

Intermittent sound, then no sound

Post by eques9090 » Tue, 3. Dec 19, 20:29

I've just installed X4 for the first time, and when I initially launched the game the sound was intermittent, frequently dropping out for 10+ seconds or so. After a little while it dropped out completely and hasn't come back.

I do not have HOTAS, and sound for everything else on my PC is functioning as normal.

Thus far I've tried: disabling/enabling sound in-game; uninstalling and deleting all X4 related folders, then reinstalling; disabling all sound drivers(nvidia, realtek, etc) except my primary speakers(Audioengine A2+).

Currently I still cannot get sound in-game.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Intermittent sound, then no sound

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 3. Dec 19, 21:36

We will need to see some game and system info but especially a link to an uploaded DxDiag run as now (ie with no in-game sound at all) to be able to help you properly. We need to see what sound devices, drivers and potential issues/mismatches you have.

You mentioned that you disabled all sound devices apart from one, which rather implies the problem lies with that one, its current driver or its connectivity. Sound working with other games etc (even if that is after you disabled the other sound devices) is not in itself a good indicator for having a well set-up remaining sound device, driver and connections.

I am assuming that you have conducted a thorough check (by exercise, test or even replacement) of your external sound cabling and plug/socket connections. Intermittent sound leading to total loss is quite often a poor connection issue. If yours is a plug-in internal sound card, it may even be worth removing and replacing it to exercise the internal socket and edge connections.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

eques9090

Post by eques9090 » Tue, 3. Dec 19, 22:51

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 3. Dec 19, 23:29

Maybe just as a test, try updating/enabling the Realtek onboard sound chipset and driver, and connect up your speakers to the PC headphone output using the supplied A2+ headphone cable (page 8 of the A2+ manual) rather than the USB one.

If that works then there could be a problem with your USB sound, its Microsoft driver or connections. If it doesn't work then try a pair of headphones in that socket. If they work then the problem is most probably with your speakers somehow. If nothing works then there is a sound issue with your game installation or internal sound system.

eques9090

Post by eques9090 » Tue, 3. Dec 19, 23:42

It seems very unlikely to me that it's an issue with my speakers. I can actively play sound from other sources on my PC while X4 is running with no sound. I have never experienced sound issues in any other game or application since owning this PC or these speakers.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 3. Dec 19, 23:46

I agree in principle but the vast majority of players are having no sound issues with X4, so there has to be something unusual going on in your case. It might even be an unforeseen compatibility issue that nobody else without that exact hardware set-up experiences. If we really want to get to the bottom of this then we need to do some rough diagnostics. The tests are entirely temporary and reversible.

(It wouldn't be the first time that something entirely unexpected such as a joystick/mouse/controller/pedals/etc USB device and driver has interfered with a sound USB device and driver in X games either!)

One quick question: have you tried using a different (or different type of) PC USB socket?

eques9090

Post by eques9090 » Wed, 4. Dec 19, 01:27

Alright, so I tried swapping from a USB 3.0 to 2.0 port with no success.

But, I connected a pair of Arctis 7 headphones I had laying around, and sound seems to be functioning totally normally through them.

Terre
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Terre » Wed, 4. Dec 19, 10:33

Looking at the manual for the A2+ speakers I see there is a 3.5mm input jack, this would cut out the built in DAC, if the speakers work off the 3.5mm, then I would look at the requested playback bit rate settings as your DxDiag states you only have the basic Microsoft driver controlling the speakers.
Open Rights Group - Is your site being blocked
Electronic Frontier Foundation - Online Censorship
The Linux Foundation - Let’s Encrypt
Check if your Email account has been pwned

stanisluv
Moderator (Russian)
Moderator (Russian)
x4

Post by stanisluv » Wed, 4. Dec 19, 11:32

eques9090 wrote:
Wed, 4. Dec 19, 01:27
Alright, so I tried swapping from a USB 3.0 to 2.0 port with no success.

But, I connected a pair of Arctis 7 headphones I had laying around, and sound seems to be functioning totally normally through them.
I guess you testing v3.0 beta now. Isn`t it?

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Wed, 4. Dec 19, 13:35

Is the volume knob behind the speakers up and then control sound in windows etc might do something perhaps. Is the speakers in windows sound setup configured as the main source in the realtek controls setup ok for 2.0 and ingame set to 2.0 if theres a option? As wondering if somehow somewhere it is set to 5.1 or similar? Since your using usb to connect maybe look for usb drivers updates for your motherboard?

Saw this and wondered if 2nd post would help?

https://www.overclock.net/forum/294-hi- ... akers.html

You could try disabling realtek sound on mb by going into the bios as if using usb it doesnt use onboard sound so maybe disable it and remove their drivers so windows only sees and uses usb audio?
[ external image ]
7600x cpu 5.4ghz 32gb DDR5 5600mhz 6700XT 32" 1440p mon

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”