Minor Spoilers - Split DLC - Fires of Defeat - plot mission broken / makes no sense?

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Hornet108
x4

Minor Spoilers - Split DLC - Fires of Defeat - plot mission broken / makes no sense?

Post by Hornet108 » Tue, 31. Mar 20, 21:39

Hi All

So my experience with this so far is par for an egosoft release...

The fires of defeat game start seems hopelessly broken.

I ignore the initial attack objective because its suicide, then fly in the other direction aimlessly. Eventually I go through enough gates and an argon ship turns up, which then does absolutely nothing. Whats going on?

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Minor Spoilers - Split DLC - Fires of Defeat - plot mission broken / makes no sense?

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 31. Mar 20, 21:43

It sounds as though you haven't completed a mission objective that causes the mission to continue.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

SparvieroGed
x4

Re: Minor Spoilers - Split DLC - Fires of Defeat - plot mission broken / makes no sense?

Post by SparvieroGed » Tue, 31. Mar 20, 21:44

Hornet108 wrote:
Tue, 31. Mar 20, 21:39
Hi All

The fires of defeat game start seems hopelessly broken.

I ignore the initial attack objective because its suicide, then fly in the other direction aimlessly. Eventually I go through enough gates and an argon ship turns up, which then does absolutely nothing. Whats going on?
The initial attack objective is a long term goal. It said this inside the mission log.
No clue about the argon.

Just play it like a rpg-strategy-sandbox: best way to enjoy X games in my opinion :D

shinral
x4

Post by shinral » Tue, 31. Mar 20, 21:45

I think that's the only plot. "build a fleet and get revenge"

Hornet108
x4

Post by Hornet108 » Tue, 31. Mar 20, 21:48

Alan Phipps wrote:
Tue, 31. Mar 20, 21:43
It sounds as though you haven't completed a mission objective that causes the mission to continue.
Could you possibly be more specific? There are no objectives beyond "Kill this huge fleet", and the ship turning up seems utterly unrelated to that objective but very centeral to the story as it is a cutscene

Rei Ayanami
x4

Post by Rei Ayanami » Tue, 31. Mar 20, 21:55

Perhaps the argon ship will become important once you have taken your revenge on the split fleet.
Not sure, but worth a try. :)

csaba
x4

Post by csaba » Tue, 31. Mar 20, 22:06

On a side note am I the only one where FRF just lets ZYA stroll around their territory and tell me to cease hostilities whenever I fire at ZYA? Makes the opening kinda stupid?

Shehriazad
x4

Post by Shehriazad » Tue, 31. Mar 20, 22:26

The Steam achievement hint at a "Slave" Plot that you can solve...I just had the cutscene thingy as well but the ship instantly got nuked by a Xenon after.

I hope that this doesn't break the mission chain.

ei8htx
x4

Post by ei8htx » Wed, 1. Apr 20, 01:38

Hornet108 wrote:
Tue, 31. Mar 20, 21:39
Exact same sentiments. I didn't hold my breath, and I'm glad I didn't. Objective is to destroy a small fleet of small ships with a medium in tow. In a Jaguar with a single cannon. Died twice.

If the stated objective on my HUD was "haul ass, open your menu, read the mission log and piece together that this is a long term objective and just ignore it", or "Ignore yellow line going toward enemy fleet and fly around randomly till you find an unmarked location and enable cutscene outside of current objective" then I would've been happy to do that. Clearly no professional play testing was involved, and I'm just no longer up for playing beta tester in an alleged AAA professionally done (and priced) game.

And yea, you can say it's a sandbox and you're supposed to figure stuff out on your own. That's fair. I remember X1, just being dropped in Teladi space with no real instructions and some green dude being less than helpful. That was true immersion. You had to figure out the game for yourself like you were the lost pilot in that ship dropped in the middle of unknown space. It was intentionally designed that way. There was no pointy yellow line and an objective telling you to go attack a fleet you won't be able to take in another 2 to 10 hours.

X4 isn't a sandbox designed for self discovery; it's simply incomplete.

Will be back in another year and 3 months to see if Egosoft has finished it. I preordered Rebirth and X4. Will not preorder X5.

Hopefully they'll have all gone bankrupt by then and sold the IP to Frontier. Clearly ES's best days (X1 through 3) are long behind it, and the developers behind those days have long retired.

Fredda72
x4

Post by Fredda72 » Wed, 1. Apr 20, 17:40

I feel pretty dissapointed about you guys not really exploring the game more than 5 minutes. If you fly close to the first space station after getting in the captain chair, you will be guided to scan the station where you you get a mission right away. or you can trade your way up to a fleet that can annihilate the split.

linolafett
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by linolafett » Wed, 1. Apr 20, 17:55

ei8htx wrote:
Wed, 1. Apr 20, 01:38
Hopefully they'll have all gone bankrupt by then and sold the IP to Frontier. Clearly ES's best days (X1 through 3) are long behind it [...]
I refrain from writing a snarky answer.
I want you to be aware of the forum rules. Please stick to them.
01001100 01101001 01101110 01100101 01110011 00100000 01101111 01100110 00100000 01110100 01101001 01101101 01100101 01110011 00101110 00101110 00101110

My art stuff

XTC0R
x4

Post by XTC0R » Wed, 1. Apr 20, 19:32

@Devs: Could you tell us please what is the expected behavior when this argon expedition ships comes through the gate and the cut scene starts? What should happen afterwards?

shirotsume
x4

Post by shirotsume » Wed, 1. Apr 20, 20:09

What can i say. I started a new modded game, Split dlc(free families), started, flew into the neighbour sector, talked to the Boron and i got a Split head AND the Steam achievement. Very short plot.
*edit* not an April joke

lordmuck
x4

Post by lordmuck » Wed, 1. Apr 20, 21:38

Fredda72 wrote:
Wed, 1. Apr 20, 17:40
I feel pretty dissapointed about you guys not really exploring the game more than 5 minutes. If you fly close to the first space station after getting in the captain chair, you will be guided to scan the station where you you get a mission right away. or you can trade your way up to a fleet that can annihilate the split.
I hope that mission stays there, coz I just flew to the gate all relaxed and chill started exploring, met that argon dude who got blown to bits by the split. TBH I would have thought that ship would have a mission or at least point you to the faction rep, I did try talking to him before he got popped and he didn't want to talk.

Why would I even think of scanning the first station in a situation like that?

It could be really good if it was at least hinted at "go hide near that station for a while" then perhaps notice this mission..

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”