Map preformance still not fixed. worse then before. - Explained.

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

cubebix9000
x4

Map preformance still not fixed. worse then before. - Explained.

Post by cubebix9000 » Wed, 1. Apr 20, 05:43

I used a mod to reveal the entire map, all filters off. 25 frames. before update 40.

guess im going to have to wait even longer still if ever this will be fixed.

strask412
x4

Re: Map preformance still not fixed. worse then before.

Post by strask412 » Wed, 1. Apr 20, 06:53

When you say "reveal the entire map", does that mean with traffic and everything visible at all times everywhere?

I'm surprised that you get better than 10fps under such circumstances.

In any case, it makes sense that it would get worse with the update to 3.0/SV because of the new sectors, factions, and the traffic of the ships they own. More ships and sectors, means the processor has to work harder. So that's hardly surprising.

Performance for me in the 3.0 beta (haven't had a chance to play too much since 3.0 was released today) was acceptable in the map, with all sectors revealed (in the sense that I had travelled to each, so they were all listed on the map) and a fair number of satellites deployed in various locations. But even with my ships flying around and all my satellites, I doubt if more than a tenth of the ships in the galaxy were visible to my assets. I think if you use a mod that kills your performance, it's not really the games fault.
"If I were a shadowy nemesis that wanted to strike the Protectorate where it's weakest, Pioneers space is where I'd begin."
- Delilah Shiratori

cubebix9000
x4

Post by cubebix9000 » Wed, 1. Apr 20, 07:30

no traffic no nothing, just all sectors and station locations revealed. no ship traffic, no filters on everything disabled, turned graphics to low to bump it to 34 fps, cpu is at 13% utilization.

guess this game was made to soon, maybe with x5 will be better as unity has very good support now for utilizing multiple cores/threads and assigning jobs making massive real time simulations very performant with little performance hits.

strask412
x4

Post by strask412 » Wed, 1. Apr 20, 07:42

cubebix9000 wrote:
Wed, 1. Apr 20, 07:30
no traffic no nothing, just all sectors and station locations revealed. no ship traffic, no filters on everything disabled, turned graphics to low to bump it to 34 fps, cpu is at 13% utilization.
My apologies, then, I misunderstood. I'm not sure why you are having bad performance, then. Perhaps read the first post in this forum for instructions on how to report your system specs and so on, that way there will be enough information to take a proper look at it.
"If I were a shadowy nemesis that wanted to strike the Protectorate where it's weakest, Pioneers space is where I'd begin."
- Delilah Shiratori

strask412
x4

Post by strask412 » Wed, 1. Apr 20, 07:44

cubebix9000 wrote:
Wed, 1. Apr 20, 07:30
guess this game was made to soon, maybe with x5 will be better as unity has very good support now for utilizing multiple cores/threads and assigning jobs making massive real time simulations very performant with little performance hits.
Just fyi, I don't think this game uses Unity. It's a custom engine Egosoft developed internally, as far as I know.
- Delilah Shiratori

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Wed, 1. Apr 20, 10:20

Displaying the map, especially with everything revealed, is always going to affect performance to some extent as the game quite simply has a lot more to do. You can mitigate it somewhat by applying filters to reduce the amount it displays, and by zooming in so it's not trying to show the entire game universe, but it's never going to magically give the same framerate as flying around without the map showing.

And no, we don't use Unity!

cubebix9000
x4

Post by cubebix9000 » Thu, 2. Apr 20, 06:36

CBJ wrote:
Wed, 1. Apr 20, 10:20
Displaying the map, especially with everything revealed, is always going to affect performance to some extent as the game quite simply has a lot more to do. You can mitigate it somewhat by applying filters to reduce the amount it displays, and by zooming in so it's not trying to show the entire game universe, but it's never going to magically give the same framerate as flying around without the map showing.

And no, we don't use Unity!
i know you dont use unity i meant as in as unity is creating very good support for implementing jobs/thread handling for cpu's allowing for very large and complex simulations with good performance will hopefully see other engines do the same :) which in turn benefit future X games.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Re: Map preformance still not fixed. worse then before. - Explained.

Post by CBJ » Thu, 2. Apr 20, 10:49

The availability of job threads, which we do have too, doesn't magically solve all performance problems. It only helps if the thing you are trying to do can be safely separated into different threads that don't end up costing more to wrangle than you save by splitting up the task. :)

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”