map stutter....

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Malakie
x4

map stutter....

Post by Malakie » Thu, 2. Apr 20, 05:24

Anyone else seeing ships stutter in the map display? Something they move smoothly across the map, other times they jitter or stutter across the map....
Take it light.....

Malakie

----------------------------------------------------

JakubCW
x4

Re: map stutter....

Post by JakubCW » Thu, 2. Apr 20, 09:58

Yes, many instances of this.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Thu, 2. Apr 20, 13:57

If this happens with ships that are far away, then it's probably part of the optimisation of the universe simulation that allows the game to have thousands of ships flying around at any one time. Having the map update every ship every frame, especially when the map is zoomed out and showing a lot of information, would cause framerates to slow down even more than they already do.

Malakie
x4

Post by Malakie » Thu, 2. Apr 20, 21:05

CBJ wrote:
Thu, 2. Apr 20, 13:57
If this happens with ships that are far away, then it's probably part of the optimisation of the universe simulation that allows the game to have thousands of ships flying around at any one time. Having the map update every ship every frame, especially when the map is zoomed out and showing a lot of information, would cause framerates to slow down even more than they already do.
Well I have never seen it do this before.. I thought that might be the case but it is really bad now.. I can only have 3 sectors open at a game start and ships are already doing it.. With my top end system, previous I actually had most of the universe open with a lot of ships all over the place and never saw this except if there were multiple major battles happening..

But this release, it is a major difference because even a new game start is showing it immediately even if you only have say 10 ships showing on the map.

Thus whatever changed really exacerbated this problem and it is really pronouced even on a high end system.. i.e.

i9-9900k
48 gb ram + 32 gb Intel Optane cache
RTX 2080ti
2 x m.2 2tb SSD's
4 x SATA SSD's 2 tb
Tobi 4c eye and head tracking
x56 Rhino Hotas (which still causes the game to lose focus on any field or list when selected for controller use)
Asus Raid Strix DLX 7.1 Surround

I run in 3840 x2160 UHD 4k and always have with X4, average FPS is around 40-45 FPS at my settings
Take it light.....

Malakie

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Thu, 2. Apr 20, 21:26

I'm not aware of anything having changed in this part of the game recently, so perhaps there is some other issue involved that has triggered it coincidentally. Your savegame might help us identify whether there's anything in your game that's caused it to behave differently. Meanwhile, since the matter came up recently, if your SSD drives are Samsung, make sure you're not using them in RAPID mode, as that's been known to have some odd effects on performance.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Thu, 2. Apr 20, 21:30

... or Crucial SSDs having issues if using their Momentum Cache.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

JakubCW
x4

Post by JakubCW » Fri, 3. Apr 20, 13:03

i think these modes are only active if the samsung magician/cruicial equivalent softwares are installed, i'd wager most people don't even bother installing them anyway.

The odd ship vibration/stutter doesn't bother me, my only concern was it might be affecting OOS calculations and lowering performance as if it was a glitch or the like.

Malakie
x4

Post by Malakie » Fri, 3. Apr 20, 23:15

CBJ wrote:
Thu, 2. Apr 20, 21:26
I'm not aware of anything having changed in this part of the game recently, so perhaps there is some other issue involved that has triggered it coincidentally. Your savegame might help us identify whether there's anything in your game that's caused it to behave differently. Meanwhile, since the matter came up recently, if your SSD drives are Samsung, make sure you're not using them in RAPID mode, as that's been known to have some odd effects on performance.
I have both Crucial and Samsung SSD's, both SATA and m.2 variants.. And I also have both crucial and samsung software running, i.e. not using rapid but am using momentum cache..

But that has not changed since the beta builds to this release so that's the issue... I was not seeing this previous but am seeing it now...

I will start a clean game and run it for a while then upload the save.. It is such a big difference compared to previous, thus my post about it.. What's odd is last night while messing around further, I wanted to see what impact it had with mods as well.. (THE issue IS happening in a clean version, NO mods normally).. So I started a game with some mods I like to see the difference... and depending on which mods I loaded, the game actually stuttered less, which makes no sense. Additionally my FPS remains the same whether I am in the map or first person... this happens in a clean game or modded game even though the map visually is stuttering badly...

Another thing I noticed is that not all ships stutter.. Some are smoothly moving across the map at a clip while others are stuttering.. Why it would only be some ships and not others I have no idea.. (I assume at the speed they are moving they are all in travel mode).

Finally, I also had one other big problem last night I noticed late.. The game is culling objects.. i.e. I headed to my HQ only to find ALL the asteroids GONE. Not one was drawn until I actually landed and got out of my ship. The moment I stepped off the ship, suddenly all the asteroids popped into view...
Take it light.....

Malakie

Malakie
x4

Post by Malakie » Sun, 5. Apr 20, 05:38

CBJ wrote:
Thu, 2. Apr 20, 21:26
OK attached is a save game.. Things were so bad I had to delete the game, and reinstall clean again. To speed things up just a bit, I used just a couple basic mods that don't modify anything that would cause this.. Cursor color, added two ships so I could open up a few sectors quickly.. Nothing that would start spawning loads of ships, stations or graphics changes that might cause the stutter..

The save game thus is brand new, within a few minutes of starting.. Note that even in this brand new start, ships are already stuttering although not as bad as it WILL get being it is a new start.. But once the game gets going a bit and you lay SATS to see better, the stutter will become much more pronounced as I said..

Prior to the DLC, I did not see this problem even with a full active universe, in my case my system specs as I listed above also help.. But now, it's not even close to that at all on this system (or even my older 2nd system I play (and test on).

save file attached

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Mvz4l ... fsDoT3SUnp
Take it light.....

Malakie

Retrox
x4

Post by Retrox » Sun, 5. Apr 20, 16:05

I often have similar cases, when ships try to dock OOS with a station/carrier/"base building dock". It stutteres all the time, till I enter the sector myself. Also, these ships often are placed on the wrong place on the map, some km away from the dock. It seems similar to the problem, Malakie described.
Intel i7 8700, Gtx 1070, 16gb RAM. I think i'm ready for X4. Bring it on, Egosoft!

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”