Can't Save Game - Probably resolved.

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Gadzoo

Can't Save Game - Probably resolved.

Post by Gadzoo » Wed, 8. Apr 20, 17:51

I played x4 a few years back and recently reinstalled (Steam). I can't save my game.

I just downloaded version 3.10 but it wasn't saving prior to that. I have an old save from years ago so it was working back then.

I have tried with mods and without mods. I turned off my Bit Defender and Windows Defender to see if that was the issue. Still no save.
I tried adding exceptions to Bit Defender and Windows but didn't work. I'm not sure it did that right either but after turning it them all off I assume that's not the issue, plus I don't want to turn them off anyways.

I verified game files through Steam.

I turned off cloud saves as per a suggestion I found.

I tried starting with different scenarios but same outcome.

Note: I didn't see a way to attach my DXDiag file, if that's needed.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Can't Save Game

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 8. Apr 20, 17:54

When you say that you cannot save, do you mean that nothing happens or you get a refusal/error message when you try to save, or that you can save normally but the saves are not there or not listed when you try to reload?

If the former case then suspect that there might be a permissions issue with your save folder and path.

There has been a Steam issue where new saves have been overwritten with old ones by Steam Cloud and that would show as the latter case. Steam were supposed to have fixed it by now.

If you are starting again anyway, you could try manually deleting your save folder and let the game make a new one (with Steam Cloud Backup off).
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Gadzoo

Post by Gadzoo » Wed, 8. Apr 20, 19:33

Thanks for the help.

When saving I get the error "save game failed"

I tried to add an exception for my save game folder but I must be doing that wrong as my virus program didn't accept it.

I emptied out my save game folder but didn't try deleting it so I will give that a shot.

Any way to point me in the right direction as to adding my save folder to permissions?

Thanks again!

Gadzoo

Post by Gadzoo » Wed, 8. Apr 20, 19:46

Well, tried the delete save folder in my documents with cloud save off. no help there.

Also tried again to add the save game folder to my av exceptions. Earlier I just turned off my virus protection and it still didn't save.

Unless you have a magic bullet up your sleeve I may just be out of luck but I sure appreciate your attempt to help.

Thanks!

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 8. Apr 20, 20:37

Permissions is not the same as Antivirus. You need to have permission to alter the save folder in documents in the system account that you are running the game in. Usually that would involve at least running Steam and the game while in supervisor mode and obviously in your own OS user and game account. The fact that you could delete the save folder is a good sign at least. Did the game create a new empty one when you ran it?

Another issue could be if the save folder or any folder in its path was set to read-only.

Gadzoo

Post by Gadzoo » Thu, 9. Apr 20, 00:52

I believe it very well may be a "read only" issue. I seem to be unable to uncheck read only anywhere on my pc and I am running as admin. So I will let you know how this works out once I get this problem fixed.

Thanks again!!

DaFonz62
x4

Post by DaFonz62 » Thu, 16. Apr 20, 01:00

I use Bitdefender and It thought the game was a virus. Here is what I did. Go to Notifications. Click on Critical. You will see all the applications that are blocked. Click on View Applications. You will see X4 : Foundations is greyed out, and has a slider button next to it, also grey. Simply click on the slider, and it adds to exceptions, allowing you to save games. Depending on the Antivirus you have, just add it to exceptions. Securi should also get acknowledgment for this. He gave a similar fix, and I just expanded on it.
In an aircraft, going up is optional. You can always decide to cancel your flight. But coming down is mandatory.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Thu, 16. Apr 20, 12:38

Thanks but the OP has aready eliminated AV as a reason.

DaFonz62
x4

Post by DaFonz62 » Mon, 22. Jun 20, 10:11

Couldn't save ingame. However, I deleted all of my Egoft files and started again. I had to go to the separate save folder and delete all my saves there and reinstalled. My game is now fine and I can now save.
Bitdefender also thought it was a virus. I gave it permission.
In an aircraft, going up is optional. You can always decide to cancel your flight. But coming down is mandatory.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”