Strange behavior of my video card.

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

raijine
x4

Strange behavior of my video card.

Post by raijine » Wed, 24. Jun 20, 08:29

When you start the game in the main menu FPS 75-80. In training FPS 55-120. CPU utilization 50-80%. GPU loading 95-99%. When starting a new game at the station FPS 45-50. After two minutes, the game freezes briefly and after that the FPS drops to 25-30. GPU loading 25-30%. I don’t understand why this is happening.
This only happens in x4. In other games, for example, The Witcher 3. Stable 60 fps at high settings. CPU overclocked to 3800 MHz. Sorry for the bad english. He wrote through a translator.

Phenom II X4 955 BE
GTX 1650 Super 4gb
HDD 500gb
10gb memory DDR3

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Strange behavior of my video card.

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 24. Jun 20, 10:55

Post a link for your recent DxDiag and I will take a look, and maybe also post a link for your Vulkaninfo file and the devs might take a look. Everything you need to know is in the first Sticky Announcement thread on this forum.

Comparing performance in X4 with that for other games, especially those that do not have a dynamic total universe and/or do not use the Vulkan API, is rarely of any practical use.

Is your game modified at all, even just with save edits for the older saves?

In the meantime, there is quite a useful technical advice thread here that might be worth a read.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

raijine
x4

Post by raijine » Wed, 24. Jun 20, 13:25

The game without modifications. I didn’t save because when the new game starts, the situation described above arises.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WkztWe ... sp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yhSa_Q ... sp=sharing

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 24. Jun 20, 14:27

Thanks. I can a see a few potential issues in your DxDiag:

1. That pre-2009 Creative SB Live sound card and driver is probably not doing you any great service in current WIndows 10. You could try disabling that device and using the onboard sound chipset (probably Realtek) with the latest WHQL driver (for Realtek that would be Realtek HD Audio Codec R2.82 - 2017 or later - available from the Realtek update site).

2. You have very little free space on your hard drive, not really enough for both Video shared memory and your pagefile. If it is not an SSD then that remaining memory would also be very fragmented. Free up a lot more space on your drive and defragment it if not an SSD.

3. Your system is showing 10 GB system RAM fitted. That is unusual for that motherboard as the memory is usually fitted in multiples of 4 GB up to a max of 16 GB. Is there a valid reason for that strange amount of RAM?

4. Your cpu is showing a slight overclock (3.6 GHz compared with 3.2 GHz stock speed). Is it stable and keeping cool enough at overclock in X4?

See if anything here helps at all. Good luck.

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Wed, 24. Jun 20, 14:42

Its like that for most people. Its the way the game is, its not the best written engine. Fps drops will always happen in stations till they sort it.
[ external image ]
7600x cpu 5.4ghz 32gb DDR5 5600mhz 6700XT 32" 1440p mon

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 24. Jun 20, 16:50

@ Skeeter: Which would perhaps be useful advice except that nowhere did the OP mention the issue being tied to stations. The actual problem is described as a fixed playing time from a fresh start with good fps until a short freeze and then low fps thereafter. That doesn't sound like typical station lag.

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Wed, 24. Jun 20, 17:28

He did say when on stations its lower in the OP. The freeze could be when after you start the game alot of stations go mass building ships which might be it.
[ external image ]
7600x cpu 5.4ghz 32gb DDR5 5600mhz 6700XT 32" 1440p mon

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 24. Jun 20, 17:41

Actually the OP says their new gamestart saw them started on a station and with the higher fps. It got lower later on and possibly elsewhere. :D

raijine
x4

Post by raijine » Thu, 25. Jun 20, 10:04

Thank you all for your advice. Unfortunately, nothing helps. When you start a new game when you appear at the station, the FPS is high. A minute passes, the game hangs somewhere for a second and the FPS falls. Before freezing, everything is fine. After freezing FPS 25-30. Maybe the cpu is too weak for this game.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Thu, 25. Jun 20, 10:08

Your CPU is about 5 years older and 20% slower than the i5-4590, which is listed as the minimum requirement for the game, so yes, I'd say the lower framerates that you're seeing in-game are to be expected I'm afraid.

raijine
x4

Post by raijine » Thu, 25. Jun 20, 10:18

Well. I will change everything except the video card. :) Thanks to all.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”