Problems with HUD zoom using Tobii 5 eyetracker

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

nm12345
x4

Problems with HUD zoom using Tobii 5 eyetracker

Post by nm12345 » Wed, 2. Sep 20, 18:27

I have just installed a tobii 5 eyetracker, it works fine tracking my head motion and eyes but the HUD has two problems.

1 The game does not allow me to disable the zoom in and out, as I am playing on a laptop I am quite close to the screen so I am fully zoomed in all the time unless I make a real effort to move back. I have tried adjusting the settings but I cant find anything to resolve this.

2. As the HUD is floating the sights move in relation to outside the ship when I move my head meaning it is very difficult to tell which exact direction I am pointing, the sight does not point to the same direction in space outside the ship when I move my head and can be up to 30 degrees or so off, with the sight over the frame of the tutorial ship for example. I would have expected the sight to be like a fixed point "painted" on the windscreen which would always point towards the front of the ship.

I have managed to resolve the problem by setting the tracking to gaze mode only, the HUD does not zoom in and out which seems to be the source of the problem. This is not ideal as I have had to set the eyetracking sensitivty to max making the display move sometimes even when I blink. I would really like the head tracking be usuable as well.

Any suggestions to get rid of the zoom ?

Seagon
x4

Re: Problems with HUD zoom using Tobii 5 eyetracker

Post by Seagon » Sat, 12. Sep 20, 09:52

I have the 4c and have the same issues.

I found it's caused by the head tracker and how the game translates the head position.

Try using only gaze function.

You can also somewhat alter the head position setting to bring the hud back, but that doesn't slide to the full 100%

I guess it would be best to have a "set to zero" button in x4.

nm12345
x4

Post by nm12345 » Mon, 14. Sep 20, 10:37

Yes all I think it needs is to disable forward/backwards head movement. I think I will get in touch with Tobii, their tech guys are v helpful, as I imagine this is quite a niche problem that egosoft probably don’t have time for.

Seagon
x4

Post by Seagon » Wed, 16. Sep 20, 13:19

Let me know how that goes. I would love to get the proper config for getting the head tracker to function.

I do think it's to do with a too large distance between me and the tracker though. But i'd expect there to be a calibration option to get around that.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”