GPU Temperatures SKYROCKETING

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

spookywatcher

Re: GPU Temperatures SKYROCKETING

Post by spookywatcher » Thu, 10. Sep 20, 21:58

The launch date of the Titan X pascal was over 4 years ago.

Maybe time to repaste with some Kryonaut?

Diggz
x4

Post by Diggz » Fri, 11. Sep 20, 17:03

spookywatcher wrote:
Thu, 10. Sep 20, 21:58

It's still a very high end card.. but what do you mean?

I don't have any thermal paste on my GPU as it's a self contained unit without an external cooler.
I have yet to figure out the non-terran equivalent of a Point Singularity Projector...

Buzz2005
x4

Post by Buzz2005 » Fri, 11. Sep 20, 20:30

Fixed ships getting spawned away from ship configuration menu at resupply ships from automatically getting deployables.

letherial
x4

Post by letherial » Sat, 12. Sep 20, 03:15

If x4 is heating up your card, then other things will as well. X4 doesnt override your card settings, put more voltage in it, overclock it, or do anything to increase heat other then utilize it to the degree on which it is allowed. Even assuming that x4 utilizes your GPU 100%, a functional GPU should be able to handle that, i got a worse card thats overclocked and x4 has no issue on high.

Since its was running just fine before, then you changed things, and now its not running well and the only thing that has stayed the same is the GPU, then we can eliminate x4 as the problem. If x4 had a problem with your GPU, it would of showed up before. Something went wrong during your switch, or something is not correctly done. Could be your heat management with your case, GPU will run hot and if your case is not pulling air correctly, that heat will build up and since the GPU is the one getting pushed, its likely the first part to get affected by it. It could be that your motherboard has overclocked your GPU though generally speaking, you will crash before you get to that kind of heat, but, maybe you just have a realy good card and its overclocked well but not cooled well. could be that the heatsink on the GPU got slightly loose during the switch over, would be a strange thing to happen, but not unheard of. And since its 2020, its possible gremlins are in there. Regardless, chasing this to be a x4 problem is probably not the direction you should go down as its likley a waste of time. I would certainly start with the things that have changed first.

Just a FYI. A 5 minute stress test is not a stress test. Find a good benchmarking program, even more then one, crank it up as high as it will let you and run it for 30 minutes on each one. Also, check your CPU temps, if that is also getting hotter, its likely your airflow. While i doubt its a driver issue, dont be at a place where you think its the latest driver, go download the latest driver and install it.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Sat, 12. Sep 20, 11:22

Diggz wrote:
Fri, 11. Sep 20, 17:03
spookywatcher wrote:
Thu, 10. Sep 20, 21:58

It's still a very high end card.. but what do you mean?

I don't have any thermal paste on my GPU as it's a self contained unit without an external cooler.
That "self contained unit" has thermal paste between heat sources (e.g. GPU) and heatsink.
(Some types of) Thermal paste tends to dry out, harden, become worse at conducting when used long and hard.

It is possible to open up, clean, and apply new paste. A video about opening the X: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7HN3CDxMQk
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”