Tobii 5 tracker issue... with video link attached

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Malakie
x4

Tobii 5 tracker issue... with video link attached

Post by Malakie » Sat, 12. Sep 20, 04:23

I am testing out the new Tobii 5 Tracker hardware officially for Tobii with a number of titles and being the x series is my long time favorite, you know this is at the top of the list..

However, there is some kind of issue with the new Tracker 5 hardware. It works and works well.. with one exception.. The HEAD tracking mode has some kind of major 'jitter' that occurs when used. It's almost like the hardware can't find 'zero' for a players head position. It jitters back and forth. EYE tracking works perfectly..

Here is a link showing the problem.. again eye tracking seems to be fine but head tracking is having some kind of problem... BTW, If you need me to help test any updates on this hardware, I am NDA so let me know being I have the 4c and 5 Tracker here and am actually testing for Tobii on the 5 Tracker now..

https://youtu.be/AEbT2IcwLJA

Let me know what other info you may need...

System Config:

i9-9900k
48 gb ram + 32 gb Intel optane Cache
4 x m.2 SSD's (2 tb each)
Strix Raid DLX 7.1 Surround
G-19 Keyboard/G502 Mouse and charging pad from Logitech
Tobii 4c and Tobii 5 trackers (two systems, one using the 4 and this one using the 5)
x56 Rhino Hotas

Game running in 3840x2160 UHD 4k, MAX graphics across the board (bloom on low)

Additional items attached: Stream Deck, ext HD's, etc

(note I had posted this in the dev area reports but heard nothing back so figured I would post here)
Take it light.....

Malakie

----------------------------------------------------

Malakie
x4

Re: Tobii 5 tracker issue... with video link attached

Post by Malakie » Mon, 5. Oct 20, 03:31

Kinda surprised have not heard anything back about this yet.. . DEVS you out there?
Take it light.....

Malakie

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Mon, 5. Oct 20, 10:38

Sorry for the delay, but we're not currently in a position to answer questions about support for new Tobii hardware at the moment. We'll get back to you when we have the hardware and some time to look into it.

In the meantime, some questions/requests:

- You say eye-tracking is fine, yet at 0:07 and 0:22 in your video there is jitter. Are you using eye-tracking at this point, and is the jitter something you're doing and therefore expected, or is it a problem?
- At 1:50 the head position no longer seems centred. Is that what you're reporting as the problem? What have you changed at this point?
- Are the problems you're seeing (including the above) only with the Tobii 5 or do they happen with the 4c as well?
- Could you make a video in which we can see (or at the very least have you describe) what you a are doing with your eyes/head, and in which you specify at what exact points you are seeing things that you consider problems? Without this it's very hard to interpret what the problems are and when they occur.
- When you do this, could you also only change one parameter at a time? For example, at 1:07 you show head-tracking with a 10° deadzone and that looks fine, then at 1:24 you change the deadzone at 5° but you also change the deadzone position, so we can't tell which is the problem.
- When doing so, please also use the head re-centring hot-key from time to time (and mention when you're doing it) so that we can see what, if anything, it fixes.

Feel free to provide any video links by PM or email (I will give you details by PM if you need them) if you don't want to do so publicly.

Malakie
x4

Post by Malakie » Tue, 6. Oct 20, 00:54

CBJ wrote:
Mon, 5. Oct 20, 10:38
Sorry for the delay, but we're not currently in a position to answer questions about support for new Tobii hardware at the moment. We'll get back to you when we have the hardware and some time to look into it.

- You say eye-tracking is fine, yet at 0:07 and 0:22 in your video there is jitter. Are you using eye-tracking at this point, and is the jitter something you're doing and therefore expected, or is it a problem?
- At 1:50 the head position no longer seems centred. Is that what you're reporting as the problem? What have you changed at this point?
- Are the problems you're seeing (including the above) only with the Tobii 5 or do they happen with the 4c as well?
- Could you make a video in which we can see (or at the very least have you describe) what you a are doing with your eyes/head, and in which you specify at what exact points you are seeing things that you consider problems? Without this it's very hard to interpret what the problems are and when they occur.
- When you do this, could you also only change one parameter at a time? For example, at 1:07 you show head-tracking with a 10° deadzone and that looks fine, then at 1:24 you change the deadzone at 5° but you also change the deadzone position, so we can't tell which is the problem.
- When doing so, please also use the head re-centring hot-key from time to time (and mention when you're doing it) so that we can see what, if anything, it fixes.

Feel free to provide any video links by PM or email (I will give you details by PM if you need them) if you don't want to do so publicly.

Hi and thanks for getting back to me...

I only bumped my post because I am actually testing the 5 tracker for Tobii as they sent me one specially for testing X4, Star Citizen, Elite and of all things, American and EU Truck Simulator! LOL

Anyhow, I can do all that for you.. It will take me a few days to get some better video done and uploaded.. I will link here the moment I have them...

BTW, the jitter seems to happen when BOTH eye and head tracking are used together and your both head moving and eye moving to the same point to the side..... It also occurs only on the new 5 Tracker hardware, NOT on the 4c. I will get more of your requested info back to you as quickly as I can.. and again thanks for getting back to me on this...
Take it light.....

Malakie

Malakie
x4

Post by Malakie » Wed, 14. Oct 20, 01:17

Malakie wrote:
Tue, 6. Oct 20, 00:54
CBJ wrote:
Mon, 5. Oct 20, 10:38

Hi and thanks for getting back to me...

I only bumped my post because I am actually testing the 5 tracker for Tobii as they sent me one specially for testing X4, Star Citizen, Elite and of all things, American and EU Truck Simulator! LOL

Anyhow, I can do all that for you.. It will take me a few days to get some better video done and uploaded.. I will link here the moment I have them...

BTW, the jitter seems to happen when BOTH eye and head tracking are used together and your both head moving and eye moving to the same point to the side..... It also occurs only on the new 5 Tracker hardware, NOT on the 4c. I will get more of your requested info back to you as quickly as I can.. and again thanks for getting back to me on this...
Quick update.. The jittering issue we found the issue.. Since I run three different systems and all are around me in a U shape, I also have the tobii 4c on two of those with the new 5 Tracker on my main system... and apparently it is picking up the IR signatures of the other two 4c units... The new 5 is MUCH more precise and much faster responsively.. so much so it is found that other IR sources nearby can impact it if they are in line of sight apparently.. and it causes that jitter.

I am also making some other changes on the other issues I mentioned and will post more and a video once I complete that...
Take it light.....

Malakie

rboerdijk
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by rboerdijk » Mon, 19. Oct 20, 15:14

Malakie wrote:
Wed, 14. Oct 20, 01:17
Quick update.. The jittering issue we found the issue.. Since I run three different systems and all are around me in a U shape, I also have the tobii 4c on two of those with the new 5 Tracker on my main system... and apparently it is picking up the IR signatures of the other two 4c units...
Haha, thanks for the update... glad you figured it out!
I definitely wouldn't have figured that out ( no space for such a multimachine setup, and it wouldn't cross my mind to try with multiple Tobii's connected ^^ ).

Malakie
x4

Post by Malakie » Sat, 24. Oct 20, 05:55

rboerdijk wrote:
Mon, 19. Oct 20, 15:14
Malakie wrote:
Wed, 14. Oct 20, 01:17
Quick update.. The jittering issue we found the issue.. Since I run three different systems and all are around me in a U shape, I also have the tobii 4c on two of those with the new 5 Tracker on my main system... and apparently it is picking up the IR signatures of the other two 4c units...
Haha, thanks for the update... glad you figured it out!
I definitely wouldn't have figured that out ( no space for such a multimachine setup, and it wouldn't cross my mind to try with multiple Tobii's connected ^^ ).
Yea the engineers at Tobii were scratching their heads to until one of their sales guys happen to take one home to hook up to his big screen TV.. and noticed his TV remote was making the tobii do that as well apparently.. LOL They let me know to check for other IR sources and sure enough, the 4c's on the two other machines were causing it.
Take it light.....

Malakie

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”