New vulkan stuff in amd driver = Might improve x4 ssr performance

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Skeeter
x3

New vulkan stuff in amd driver = Might improve x4 ssr performance

Post by Skeeter » Wed, 30. Sep 20, 04:26

https://www.khronos.org/registry/vulkan ... int64.html

This was added to amd drivers the other day. Says minimal code changes for possible improved performance and is linked to space screen reflections, thought ego might fancy using it in x4.

Theres also 2 other things im not sure about.

VK_KHR_buffer_device_address
This extension is used to query the device address of a buffer to allow for shader access to that buffer’s storage via the SPV_KHR_physical_storage_buffer SPIRV extension.

VK_EXT_robustness2
This extension provides stricter restrictions for handling reads and writes that are out of bounds. It specifies that out-of-bounds reads must return zeros and out-of-bounds writes must be discarded. This extension also adds support for null descriptors.

VK_EXT_shader_image_atomic_int64
This extension extends existing 64-bit integer atomic support to images, which provides more efficient access than buffers. This allows applications to quickly improve their performance with minor changes to their code.

Figured id post here as not sure would be better elsewhere.
[ external image ]
7600x cpu 5.4ghz 32gb DDR5 5600mhz 6700XT 32" 1440p mon

timon37
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Re: New vulkan stuff in amd driver = Might improve x4 ssr performance

Post by timon37 » Wed, 30. Sep 20, 12:57

Hmm, unfortunately those won't really help.
SSR just needs a bit more love, atm I'm swamped with improving asset management, which is one of the blockers for improving stuff like ssr (we're getting overly tight on gpu-memory).

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Wed, 30. Sep 20, 13:17

Ur low on vram? Odd according to afterburner my 8gb is barely used for x4. Or do you use 4gb as the max limit for some reason? Unless i misunderstood when you ref gpu memory.

Shame the vulkan things cant help, oh well.

Gluck with the asset management.
[ external image ]

Panos
x4

Post by Panos » Fri, 2. Oct 20, 22:46

Skeeter wrote:
Wed, 30. Sep 20, 04:26
https://www.khronos.org/registry/vulkan ... int64.html

This was added to amd drivers the other day. Says minimal code changes for possible improved performance and is linked to space screen reflections, thought ego might fancy using it in x4.

Theres also 2 other things im not sure about.

VK_KHR_buffer_device_address
This extension is used to query the device address of a buffer to allow for shader access to that buffer’s storage via the SPV_KHR_physical_storage_buffer SPIRV extension.

VK_EXT_robustness2
This extension provides stricter restrictions for handling reads and writes that are out of bounds. It specifies that out-of-bounds reads must return zeros and out-of-bounds writes must be discarded. This extension also adds support for null descriptors.

VK_EXT_shader_image_atomic_int64
This extension extends existing 64-bit integer atomic support to images, which provides more efficient access than buffers. This allows applications to quickly improve their performance with minor changes to their code.

Figured id post here as not sure would be better elsewhere.
IDK about SSR but moving from W10 to Linux with MESA 20.3dev (latest with a lot of AMD related vulkan improvements) is a huge boost for both Vega 64 and 5700XT. Same settings (2560X1440, SSAA 2x, SSAO Normal, SSR Off, everything else on high/maxed out) W10 have V64 71fps, 5700XT 84fps and on Linux (Manjaro with MESA 20.3dev) 84fps and 100fps respectively on same scene on same system. 3900X with CPPC & CPPC preferred cores ON, with 3800C16 overclocked ram. No other changes.

Same applies to walking to stations FPS went up also from 40ish to mid 50s low 60s. :o

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Sat, 3. Oct 20, 01:28

Skeeter wrote:
Wed, 30. Sep 20, 04:26
Does the screen space stuff need any 64-bit integer atomic operations? I would imagine screen space stuff mostly using 32-bit access for looking at RGBA pixel information. Maybe this is intended for HDR pixel data?
Skeeter wrote:
Wed, 30. Sep 20, 13:17
Ur low on vram? Odd according to afterburner my 8gb is barely used for x4. Or do you use 4gb as the max limit for some reason? Unless i misunderstood when you ref gpu memory.
X4 is built around using 3 GB of video memory, as listed in its minimum requirements. If it uses more than 3 GB of video memory then the official memory requirements would have to be raised and may cause many people who can currently play X4 to no longer be able to do so.
Panos wrote:
Fri, 2. Oct 20, 22:46
IDK about SSR but moving from W10 to Linux with MESA 20.3dev (latest with a lot of AMD related vulkan improvements) is a huge boost for both Vega 64 and 5700XT. Same settings (2560X1440, SSAA 2x, SSAO Normal, SSR Off, everything else on high/maxed out) W10 have V64 71fps, 5700XT 84fps and on Linux (Manjaro with MESA 20.3dev) 84fps and 100fps respectively on same scene on same system. 3900X with CPPC & CPPC preferred cores ON, with 3800C16 overclocked ram. No other changes.
This is likely due to other changes that occur when moving between operating systems. For example scheduling algorithm differences or differences with OS call implementations. Even the way the operating system is setup can influence performance, such as if virtualization is enabled or not.

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Sat, 3. Oct 20, 02:54

Im not sure about the vram thing you said imperial.

Sure the min spec is a 3gb card that is expected for low settings. Ultra settings should require more as there should be more detail, yet i dont think really there is a difference between low and high textures in x4 is there which is a little strange. I mean u buy a 8gb card just for x4 so u can whack up the details especially textures but u dont get the benefits. Seems a little strange compared to other games. If its a one size vram for all then whats the point of options in the gfx menu i wonder.
[ external image ]

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Fri, 20. Nov 20, 14:14

timon37 wrote:
Wed, 30. Sep 20, 12:57
Hmm, unfortunately those won't really help.
SSR just needs a bit more love, atm I'm swamped with improving asset management, which is one of the blockers for improving stuff like ssr (we're getting overly tight on gpu-memory).
Was this finished, the asset management i mean, for to test in 4.0 beta or is it more of a not yet but should make 4.0 final?
[ external image ]

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”