Exitcode 222-231, 1028 (Access to physical device lost) - Also happening outside X4.

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Gregorovitch
x4

Exitcode 222-231, 1028 (Access to physical device lost) - Also happening outside X4.

Post by Gregorovitch » Wed, 25. Nov 20, 12:27

Hi,

X4 has suddenly started crashing on me after three or for minutes play, five times in a row now. Cannot play :(

Symptoms are:

1. Screen goes blank
2. A fan (possibly GPU fan) very suddenly goes bananas, no ramp up
3. Unable to make any input to computer, can't raise Task Manager etc
4. Only solution is hard shutdown and reboot
5. On reboot windows message says "Display driver failed to start"
6. Windows message lies - nvidia driver is running and working properly (after reboot anyway)
7. On one occasion opening Firefox on reboot showed following Egossoft bug report:

https://www.egosoft.com:8443/jira/browse/X4-275

I have 1080ti and 17-8700k, neither are overclocked. I have played X4 for >500 hours with no problem at all so far. This issue did not seem to appear directly following an update. Since the first of these crashes it has happened 100% of the time, almost always about two or three minutes after starting the game and loading my save.

I have no idea what to do about this. HEEEEELP! :cry:

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Exitcode 222-231, 1028 (Access to physical device lost)

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 25. Nov 20, 12:38

That link above should tell you what to do.

In the absence of further information, there is little that anyone here can add.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Gregorovitch
x4

Post by Gregorovitch » Wed, 25. Nov 20, 13:38

Fair enough. I've already re-installed the latest 1080ti driver and neither the GPU nor the CPU are OC'd. I'll assemble the files for all the info but I'm having trouble with the vulklaninfo.txt file which sounds important.

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> vulkaninfo > "%UserProfile%\Desktop\vulkaninfo.txt"
out-file : Could not find a part of the path 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\%UserProfile%\Desktop\vulkaninfo.txt'.

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> vulkaninfo > "c:\WINDOWS\system32\vulkaninfo.txt"
>>
ERROR: [Loader Message] Code 0 : loader_get_json: Failed to open JSON file C:\Program Files\Rockstar Games\Social Club\SocialClubVulkanLayer.json
PS C:\WINDOWS\system32>

???????

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 25. Nov 20, 15:08

Yes the DxDiag Windows Error Reporting shows you having a lot of dwm.exe crashes and some kernel issues probably across many applications - DWM is Desktop Windows Manager that prepares screens for display. That usually points to a graphics device or driver issue.

You could try a *clean* uninstall and reinstall of your current graphics driver, or you could try rolling back to an earlier release version and see if that helps.

I have asked for help from the devs with your Vulkaninfo problem.

By the way, you have 3 sound devices and drivers all working at the same time. I would disable what you do not use in Device Manager, Sound/Audio Devices (right-click on a device for a disable/enable pop-up). Unplug any USB sound devices when not required. If you disable the Nvidia sound then you would probably have to do that again after every graphics driver change/update as those install/enable the Nvidia sound device and driver.

Good luck.

EDIT: About Vulkaninfo, the Rockstar Social Club reference in your Vulkan json path may give you some hint as to where the difficulties lie; the 'normal' Vulkan path that was advised to you is the standard Windows one and should always work. It could be just be a folder permissions issue.

Gregorovitch
x4

Post by Gregorovitch » Wed, 25. Nov 20, 17:21

So an update on this: I installed version 4 beta 2 for a Hail Mary punt on ever playing again and I've played at least an hour of it so far, maybe two, and have had no further crashes at all. Worked as normal. Is it possible something happened to the game files to cause this and the same effect would have been achieved had I just verified the files via Steam?

I would very much like to know what to do to sort out that vulkaninfo issue. Red Dead Redemption 2 is long gone from my SSD and with it the "Rockstar Social Club" launcher but obviously it's left traces concerning Vulcan which it would be very nice to remove.

Emerson d'Anite
x4

Post by Emerson d'Anite » Wed, 25. Nov 20, 17:45

Gregorovitch wrote:
Wed, 25. Nov 20, 13:38
PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> vulkaninfo > "%UserProfile%\Desktop\vulkaninfo.txt"
out-file : Could not find a part of the path 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\%UserProfile%\Desktop\vulkaninfo.txt'.
Normal, %USERPROFILE% is equal to "C:\Users\<yourlogin>".
So your file is here : C:\Users\xxxx\Desktop\vulkaninfo.txt (replace xxxx by the userid you use)
« Il suivait son idée. C'était une idée fixe et il était surpris de ne pas avancer. » :)
Jacques Prévert

Gregorovitch
x4

Post by Gregorovitch » Wed, 25. Nov 20, 21:38

This problem occurred again but this time when I was simply checking my email with nothing else running. That means the problem hasn't got anything to do with X4 as such, I just happened to playing it when it started happening.

This is a sod of a problem to sort out because the main symptom is the screen going down (GPU ceases output) so you can't investigate anything, but it seems most of the smart money on the interwebs about this issue fingers the PSU and/or compromised power distribution to the GPU ( <12v = this type of crash) and some have apparently resolved it via this route. Since my PSU is definitely up to snuff to power my system (according to spec) I am hoping this is just a cable issue requiring a re-seat or replace. Maybe :roll:

Anyway this thread can go to bed as far as I'm concerned.

Rektor
x4

Re: Exitcode 222-231, 1028 (Access to physical device lost) - Also happening outside X4.

Post by Rektor » Mon, 14. Dec 20, 23:06

is there any news on wether this is a problem that is being adressed and what the status of that is or if there is no plan to fix that issue. i get that it might come from overclocking stuff, even the "save" xmp profile to have ur RAM run at your desired frequency. im kind of unwilling to revert my 4000 Mhz RAM Modules to run at 2133 and to switch this back and forth only to sometimes play x4. im getting the same error like op and it renders my player experience to unplayable since any second it can lose its connection to my graphics card. intel 10900k - nvidia 3080 32gb ram asus z490a board. if u need more info pls tell me

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Exitcode 222-231, 1028 (Access to physical device lost) - Also happening outside X4.

Post by Imperial Good » Tue, 15. Dec 20, 02:21

Rektor wrote:
Mon, 14. Dec 20, 23:06
is there any news on wether this is a problem that is being adressed and what the status of that is or if there is no plan to fix that issue.
I do not think X4 can be "fixed" of such an issue as it is not doing anything that a correctly functioning computer cannot handle.

I suggest finding what part of your system is unstable when playing X4. If the GPU is loosing connection then it could be related to the PSU or total system power draw when playing. If you think your memory is unstable then run some memory intensive tests. If your CPU or GPU is overclocked try turning down the overclock on them a bit in case it is an unstable value. Just because an overclock is stable for 1 workload or game does not mean it is stable for every workload a computer can run.

Rektor
x4

Post by Rektor » Tue, 15. Dec 20, 08:16

well is it though? x4 is wide and far the only application i can google that produces that error code, dunno if those are application specific. no other game or application on my system produces errors, no benchmark, no testing shows any faults in the gpu (which is given its a 3080) new, the cpu and half a day on memtest did not produce any errors aswell. for sure it is absolutely possible that i am overseeing some detail but its not the weirdest assumption that some special sauce in x4 is the source of the problem. i guess its something vulkan related, but other vulkan games like doom eternal or no mans sky run just fine. since in other threads devs mentioned overclocking, the only oc there is on my system is the xmp profile for 4000Mhz RAM manufacturer vetted,its even QVL listed. No WIndows tool no Memtest nor that hdci tool produced errors there, the only thing that does is x4. so maybe there is a way that u guys can reinstate my hope to be able to play x4 on my system reliably in the future?

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 15. Dec 20, 12:39

@ Rektor: In this thread, the OP went through the correct procedures in providing information and a more general system issue was highlighted as a possible concern. Later on the OP confirmed that the issue also happened on his system outside of X4.

Your adding to the thread without any further information and asking when it will be fixed is not likely to get you anywhere. If you are convinced that there is an X4 issue then please start your own thread and supply all the relevant system information as then the devs might be able to assist you.

Mavo Pi
x4

Post by Mavo Pi » Fri, 18. Dec 20, 23:45

For me this started to happen when I got my 3070 and updated to the latest nvidia driver. But it happens only in windowed fullscreen. Normal Fullscreen mode is fine. I experience this with x4 only but it also is the only Vulcan game I have played since getting my 3070.

Edit: It seems my Firefox running Youtube on the second screen somehow caused this. After I closed Firefox it was working again :gruebel:

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”