save time, whats the problem?

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Alukay
x4

save time, whats the problem?

Post by Alukay » Sun, 29. Nov 20, 04:57

I have read now many threads and all dont get to a real conclusion at all, and it also seems that im not the only one with a problem of the save times.

first things first, my specs:
amd ryzen 7 2700X 8core overclocked @4ghz
samsung ssd evo 860 1tb and samsung ssd evo 840 250gb (where the save files land, since somewhat its not possible to setup save folder optional somewhere else, but well, that shouldnt be much of an issue in first place, since both are ssd).
gigabit geforce rtx 2070
ram 32gb ddr4 @2333mhz

now the tests:

saving time in my current game (around 70hours of playtime): 28 seconds overall, with only the last 3 seconds writing onto the storage.
saving time in a brand new game: 19 seconds, with last 1 second writing onto the storage.

also tested if it would do a difference:
- disabling and enabling savegame compression, no difference
- disabled and enabled windows search indexation (disabled its 1 second faster as enabled, but needs long time at starting the game to find the save files).
- excluded x4 completly from any security tool (windows defender etc.)

During all tests the cpu, gpu, and ram usage never even closely to 100%, cpu running around 8%, ram at 30%, gpu at 23% and storage only in the last 1-2 seconds on 100%, the other 26 seconds before that just idling around at not even 1%.

So Egosoft, whats wrong? Why does it take so incredible long to save even in an fresh game, even though the storage usage is quiet low? What can we do, that the game gets enjoyable? With theese loading times its definitly not enjoyable. pls help/fix.

in best regards, Alu

zakaluka

Re: save time, whats the problem?

Post by zakaluka » Sun, 29. Nov 20, 07:43

Second one, second week :sceptic:

I can't easily find the one thread where egosoft went into a lot of detail about this, but it's out there if you're smart with google.

What it boils down to, going from memory:
Only a few possible optimizations can be done without harming game performance, and those are really high-effort (streaming compression in a separate thread for instance, would gain you ~3 seconds and takes quite a lot of development effort, there's just no value there)
Other optimizations would require egosoft to drastically change how the universe is represented in memory. And, the simulation right now is optimized for gameplay performance. See the issue? Optimizing for save speed is going to have consequences for gameplay.

Now someone is going to come in here and argue that I'm FOS, Backseat Andy has an armchair solution, you "simply/just do xxxx", but the devs have had their say on this on more than one occasion and it's just not likely to happen.

Alukay
x4

Post by Alukay » Sun, 29. Nov 20, 08:34

zakaluka wrote:
Sun, 29. Nov 20, 07:43

I can't easily find the one thread where egosoft went into a lot of detail about this, but it's out there if you're smart with google.

Only a few possible optimizations can be done without harming game performance, and those are really high-effort (streaming compression in a separate thread for instance, would gain you ~3 seconds and takes quite a lot of development effort, there's just no value there)
Other optimizations would require egosoft to drastically change how the universe is represented in memory. And, the simulation right now is optimized for gameplay performance. See the issue? Optimizing for save speed is going to have consequences for gameplay.

Now someone is going to come in here and argue that I'm FOS, Backseat Andy has an armchair solution, you "simply/just do xxxx", but the devs have had their say on this on more than one occasion and it's just not likely to happen.
Can you pls only answer if you have an answer and be experienced about the issue? This is a forum, not a chat. You could had just written "i dont know" and it would had been the same value as an answer onto my question. It doesnt help anyone to find a decent answer onto this question if someone just spams text without value like i have to do right now to explain this to you.

LennStar
x4

Post by LennStar » Sun, 29. Nov 20, 13:31

Alukay wrote:
Sun, 29. Nov 20, 08:34
zakaluka wrote:
Sun, 29. Nov 20, 07:43

Can you pls only answer if you have an answer and be experienced about the issue? This is a forum, not a chat. You could had just written "i dont know" and it would had been the same value as an answer onto my question. It doesnt help anyone to find a decent answer onto this question if someone just spams text without value like i have to do right now to explain this to you.
He gave you several answers that wer as in-debt as you can get without the person answering be a dev, and they have better things to do.
:idea: BUG REPORT INFO: I play X4 vanilla. You can find all my bug report files in there:
All X4 files: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/83j3cjfhkdlf ... w6HLa?dl=0

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 29. Nov 20, 14:03

As pointed out above, starting a new thread to ask the same questions as exist in other active threads is pointless. Please see this thread for example and where you will find links at its post 2 to actual dev replies, and a further quote of a dev made later in that thread.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”