mixed ingame texts after switching language - Explained.

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Jig-Wig

mixed ingame texts after switching language - Explained.

Post by Jig-Wig » Wed, 2. Dec 20, 19:04

Hello everyone!

Usually I like playing my games in English but occasionally I like to switch to German, especially with games originating from there. But after I switched my language in Steam from German to English some text bits stayed in German resulting in a language mix. It seems that some text elements are stored in the save file (?) like mission texts and such and remain in the language they where "created" in. But it seems to also apply to some other things like some conversation/dialog bits "give"/"geben" and such. I tried it in version 3.3 and the issue seems to be in the public 4.0 beta as well - but since the localization doesn't seem to be complete in the beta yet the problem is hard to pinpoint here. Here are my specs:

Version and language: 3.3 and b4.0 english/German
Whether or not your game is modified using any third party scripts or mods: no mods or changes to the core game.
Game start being played: "Young Gun" and "Unworthy Enterpreneur".
Exact nature of the problem, where and when it occurs and what you were doing at the time: see above.
Any possibly relevant changes you have made to your game, system, or software before the issue occurred: changed the language in steam options for the game.
Where appropriate, additional symptoms, error messages, links to screenshots and crash dump files: none that I know of.
Your system specifications in the form of a DxDiag report and vulkaninfo: not neccessary in my case I believe.

Is there a way to fix the mixed language issue in my save game? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much!
Jig-Wig

PS: The reason why I like to switch my language is not relevant here, nor why I'm bothered by the above ;-)

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Re: mixed ingame texts after switching language

Post by CBJ » Wed, 2. Dec 20, 19:15

We do try to save as much text as possible in its "pre-localisation" form, so that it appears in the currently played language, but we can't do that for everything. Some texts have to be saved in savegames in their localised form, i.e. in the actual language that was used at the point those texts were generated. For example, texts for missions often have values substituted into them (such as the target ship or destination station) and that can only be done after the text for the currently-active language has been chosen. When that text is saved into your log, it needs to include that substituted text otherwise it's useless, so the only way to do that is by using the final, localised text. This is, I'm afraid, unavoidable.

Jig-Wig

Re: mixed ingame texts after switching language - Explained.

Post by Jig-Wig » Wed, 2. Dec 20, 19:21

I was affraid of that. Thanks for the quick and conclusive response! I'll have to choose a language and stick to it then it seems :-)

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”