Epic Autopilot Failure : resolved for me in v4.0 beta 5 - disregard

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Poopzone
x4

Epic Autopilot Failure : resolved for me in v4.0 beta 5 - disregard

Post by Poopzone » Thu, 14. Jan 21, 08:03

edit: no longer getting stuck with the 4.0 beta 5, seems to have been resolved

I have been playing the X games on current+ hardware since X:BTF so I'm not unfamiliar with potential the problems and reporting them.
System INFO:
I'm running a 3080rtx / intel6950x 3.5ghz cpu (no overclock) with 64gb RAM and my game seems to love just ramming into asteroids and then sitting within their bounding geometry until I intervene and reset to the last save.

Is anything being done to resolve this? (since this forum seems to cut off info at 70K characters I'll chop (hope you didn't need some of my dxdiag~! ???)
My perspective is your math is intersecting asteroid geometry but -1 unit is allowing a player body to enter. This is a common physics problem in many engines.

<DxDiag removed as unnececessary in this issue. Alan Phipps>[/]
Last edited by Poopzone on Mon, 1. Feb 21, 07:09, edited 1 time in total.

Rei Ayanami
x4

Re: Epic Autopilot Failure : I'm running a 3080rtx with a 6950x cpu with 64gb RAM and my game seems to love just rammi

Post by Rei Ayanami » Thu, 14. Jan 21, 09:52

Poopzone wrote:
Thu, 14. Jan 21, 08:03
IN game I am seeing epic autopilot falure as a message. Is this some kind of joke? Epic autopilot failure?
Stuck inside asteroid geometry every time this message happens.
You mean you accidentally glitched inside an asteroid by accident, either by you yourself or the autopilot flying into asteroids?
Yea, that happens sometimes, unfortunately.

If you get stuck in geometry, like asteroids or stations, try selecting a target as guidance target far away and using the autopilot. The autopilot has the ability to ignore collision boxes and it might get you unstuck and out of the place you're stuck in.

If the autopilot is unable to get you unstuck, meaning it deactivates immediately since it cant find a way out of the geometry you're stuck in, keep the guidance target selected and quickly mash the autopilot key over and over again. While the autopilot won't find a way out and fail immediately, the ship still moves in small steps everytime you press the autopilot button, slowly but surely getting you unstuck. Keep mashing the autopilot button until you're unstuck.

As for AI ships being stuck in asteroids, if you leave the sector and therefore unload the asteroid collision boxes they should be able to get out.

It's unfortunate that this happens, but these are the common workarounds until it might get fixed.

z1ppeh
x4

Re: Epic Autopilot Failure : I'm running a 3080rtx with a 6950x cpu with 64gb RAM and my game seems to love just rammi

Post by z1ppeh » Thu, 14. Jan 21, 09:58

The posting rules above say "ideally upload" your dxdiag somewhere else and link it but meh.

Autopilot failures are becuase pathing isn't 100% yet, its close... But poor old betty has issues with teh way asteroids are spawned in and when your ship is doing 5km/s+ with slow turning due to drag (physics) then they are undoubtedly going to hit something every now and then.
Its worse in some sectors with the asteroid count, but its not your system (as pretty as that GPU is) that is doing anything. It shouldn't happen too often. I hear it once in a while and always smile at poor betty failing again. Its a fun mention that pathing issues have struck again, something that will forever be a bane with collision avoidance mechanics in almost every game.

Poopzone
x4

Post by Poopzone » Mon, 1. Feb 21, 07:07

Have not had the problem at all in v4.0 beta 5, looks like whatever caused it has been fixed in the update. Thanks. :)

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Epic Autopilot Failure : resolved for me in v4.0 beta 5 - disregard

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 1. Feb 21, 10:39

See the link in my edit note to the OP. It still happens in 4.00 beta 5 because collision detection coding has not been changed. You may be seeing it less now because you consider that beta 5 has much improved your game fps and hence your in-game boundary collision detection probablility.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Poopzone
x4

Re: Epic Autopilot Failure : resolved for me in v4.0 beta 5 - disregard

Post by Poopzone » Thu, 11. Feb 21, 05:13

Alan Phipps wrote:
Mon, 1. Feb 21, 10:39
See the link in my edit note to the OP. It still happens in 4.00 beta 5 because collision detection coding has not been changed. You may be seeing it less now because you consider that beta 5 has much improved your game fps and hence your in-game boundary collision detection probablility.
Was just thinking that higher frames probably helps the collisions so that makes sense, fewer changes for it to clip through geometry. the newer beta is really helping things I wouldn't have expected.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”